PDA

View Full Version : Preflop question

12-28-2001, 11:27 AM
Paradise $.50/$1.00 -

Hand 1: I'm on the button with AJs. UTG raises, another EP calls, MP reraises. It's to me and I call. UTG calls, EP now reraises, and we all call.

Hand 2: I'm in the SB with A10s. UTG, MP1, MP2 call. CO raises (This is the MP reraiser from Hand 1). Button calls, so do I and so does everyone else.

These hands took place during my first ten minutes at the table--Hand 1 was actually only the third hand I'd been dealt--so I didn't know anything about any of the players yet. My question is, should I be calling raises and reraises with these hands in these situations? I called looking to flop a flush draw, but both times I did it I felt kinda weak.

Any comments appreciated.

Matt

12-28-2001, 07:05 PM
A-Js is a problem for one raise let alone 2, particularly since the first raiser was UTG. I would let this one go.

The second call was less bad but still dangerous. A lot depends on the player in the cut-off. If he had open raised I would call every time and maybe re-raise. But with callers in before the raise the cut-off should have a real hand. You also run the risk of a reraise behind you. Dangerous call but it worked out OK.

12-29-2001, 03:25 AM
Not a chance you should be calling. You are almost certainly dominated (ie only one of your pairs will be any good - you could be up against KK, QQ, JJ making your J no good or AK or AQ making your A no good - or AA making none of your cards good). Flopping a flush draw is no reason to call. You will make a flush (either by flopping a flush or by flopping a flush draw and then making it) less than 4% of the time. The rest of the time you are wasting your money. Realise that AJs is no better than A2s in this situation (probably worse, since if you hit your J and it is no good you will be suckered into calling down)

Chris

01-01-2002, 09:30 PM