PDA

View Full Version : recommend a van/minivan

turnipmonster
07-04-2005, 02:15 PM
hey y'all,
I'm looking to buy a van or minivan that I can convert (for sleeping), for < 10k. any advice on make/models or where to look? I checked carmax, that seems like a good place but everything there is right around 10k, the kelley book seems to think I can do a little better than that (for a dodge ram anyways).

thanks for your help/suggestions.

The Stranger
07-04-2005, 02:23 PM
http://www.frontiermodels.co.uk/images/products/ER31537.jpg

nothumb
07-04-2005, 03:20 PM
There are a ton of Dodge Caravans / Plymouth Voyagers out there, and there are some good years and some bad with those. I had a Voyager that ran to 220k+ and would have run longer if the guy who bought it from me took care of it. Transmission was redone once (at around 100k) and had no major problems with it after that.

The thing with those vans is that there are good years and there are major bad years so you have to be careful. However on the plus side I don't think used minivans are in high demand so you can probably get a pretty good value.

You're not a big guy (right?) so you could get away with a regular sized minivan. However another option is to look for an older Astro with low miles and put a bit of work into it. Those things are way bigger. My buddy drives one of these that he souped up himself and has had great success with it.

Two things you should definitely do:

1. Check Consumer Reports for the good and bad years of these models.
2. Try to go down south when you buy it, body will be in way better shape.

NT

Los Feliz Slim
07-04-2005, 03:27 PM
Are you going to live in a van down by the river?

manpower
07-04-2005, 04:57 PM
A neighboor of mine swears by Chevy Astros. He's a salesman and puts a lot of miles on them. I believe his last one died a little before 300,000 miles, at which point he just went out and bought another.

[censored]
07-04-2005, 04:59 PM
sorry to hear it hoss, I hope everything works out for you.

turnipmonster
07-04-2005, 05:54 PM
I'm taking a cross country road trip with my wife /images/graemlins/smile.gif. after a lot of research today we may end up renting a car instead (!) and camp/motel6 as it's looking like the cheapest option. I thought buying and then selling the van afterwards would be the best choice, but I can rent a car with unlimited mileage for 600/month.