PDA

View Full Version : What holds you back the most?

Moonsugar
07-04-2005, 02:15 PM
Success in SnGs requires technical profeciency, but also requires psychological strength. What do you think holds you back the most: Weakness in the technical aspects of the game or psychological 'problems'?

Moonsugar
07-04-2005, 02:17 PM
I voted psychological. While I am not world class on the technical aspects of poker or tournies by any means I lose more money due to psychological 'blunders' (making the wrong play even when I know the right one) than technical mistakes.

To me it is a big problem becuase the technical parts are easier to learn. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

eastbay
07-04-2005, 02:21 PM
Time.

eastbay

FieryJustice
07-04-2005, 02:22 PM
Losing 10k a day makes me sad. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Moonsugar
07-04-2005, 02:24 PM
That's not an option.

Go to jail, do not pass go, do not collect $200.

ChuckNorris
07-04-2005, 03:36 PM
I sometimes feel guilty for not feeling almost at all bad when I lose >10 buy-ins in a session. I think to myself: "am I taking this too lightly? Is this happy-go-lucky attitude dangerous or something?" But I guess I'm just lucky for not being apt to tilt or something. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

I just don't get people who go on tilt and feel bad over short-term results. I haven't had THAT bad downswings yet though.. Or maybe I have, I just haven't kept track of them.

DonButtons
07-04-2005, 03:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

try negative 80 buyins at one point in 388 sngs, prob. the worst side of variance.

edit: damn one day, thats nuts. I had a -30 buyin day after like 72 sngs, but thats the worst Ive seen, this is at the 109s.

jeffraider
07-04-2005, 04:08 PM
Definitely technical. I'm getting there (especially after spending the morning fiddling with SNGPT, who knew I was pissing so much money away with KQo?) but I still feel lost a lot of the time. Psychologically, I'm a little zen butterfly.

MegaBet
07-04-2005, 04:27 PM
I do have a tendancy of getting upset when a known bad player makes a huge mistake, but gets lucky. It's something I am working on. Definitely psychological.

raptor517
07-04-2005, 06:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

try negative 80 buyins at one point in 388 sngs, prob. the worst side of variance.

edit: damn one day, thats nuts. I had a -30 buyin day after like 72 sngs, but thats the worst Ive seen, this is at the 109s.

[/ QUOTE ]

damn you suck. holla

DonButtons
07-04-2005, 08:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

damn you suck. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

I run weird, another +5k run in 100 sngs

TheUsher
07-04-2005, 08:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

damn you suck. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

I run weird, another +5k run in 100 sngs

[/ QUOTE ]

I could fix that weird variance of yours if you'd like... just ship 10k to my Empire account and we'll call it even where you're still on that horrible downswing. Deal? Geez, like I don't do enough nice things for you Don, come on now. Aren't I just too nice? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Nice to hear that it's finally turning around for you. About time right?

ThaHero
07-04-2005, 08:56 PM
I voted for psychological. But probably the main thing is technical. At the 22s on Stars I'm running absolutely terrible. 7 tournies one 3rd, four 4ths, one 5th. I know the sample is small, but when that downswing sucks up a lot of your buy in it does something mentally to your game. And I'm not sure I'm playing my best game at that limit now. Oh well, back to the 11s. I'll get to the 22s someday. Can someone play 2000 11s in a month? That will make up for what I'm losing in expected wins if I were at the 22s lol.