PDA

View Full Version : How many times have your read SSH?

desertking
07-04-2005, 11:48 AM
Forgive me if this is a repeating thread....

I am reading my copy of SSH for the third time. Afterwards I'm going to reread The Psychology of Poker, then back to SSH for a fourth read. Is this excessive? I feel that I need to read it at least a few more times.

So anyway, I'm wondering how many times you guys are rereading your best books? Do you gain further knowledge with every subsequent reading?

Quad_Damage
07-04-2005, 12:28 PM
If all you play is low limit Hold'em games, then there's no reason not to read it frequently. I'm on my second reading, personally. I like to forget everything and start leaking money like a siv, then start all over again once my bankroll hits 0.

1p0kerb0y
07-04-2005, 12:29 PM
Twice, but I am sure I am well behind the average reader here.

TRWIII
07-04-2005, 10:16 PM
4 here with sprinkles of King Yao, HEFAP, and TOP between readings.

TRWIII

TheJackal
07-04-2005, 10:18 PM
I've read TOP probably 8 times, while SSH 5 times or so.

Niediam
07-04-2005, 10:35 PM
About 15 and I have learned something new every time.

derick
07-04-2005, 10:38 PM
I'm a beginner

I've been seriously studying the game since about September.

I've read SSH 10 times, I've read HEPFAP 4 times.

I'm not dumb but I need to read SSH once a month and read the quiz every week.

When I get smarter and move up to reading HEPFAP once a month and the quiz in it once a week then I'll probably still need to keep reading SSH if I need to beat small stakes games.

Is this normal? How many people don't benefit by reading SSH or HEPFAP once a month?

I've read about 23 other books.

Currently I'm reading HOH II and next I plan on read King Yao's book.

After that it's back to my monthly reading of SSH and HEPFAP.

I should probably add ToP in there but for my beginner brain SSH and HEPFAP it tough enough to get through.

Anyone else have books they would like to read monthly?

Rudbaeck
07-05-2005, 05:50 AM
Cover to cover three times. Probably read specific parts of it enough times to add up to another twenty or so complete read throughs...

Maulik
07-05-2005, 12:03 PM
i hate low limit poker and i hate grinding. i haven't finished the book its boring and dry.

the concepts are intutive but you're better of reading TOP

colgin
07-05-2005, 12:28 PM
3 complete readings with multiple re-readings of certain sections and hand quizzes.

Kurwood Derby
07-05-2005, 12:43 PM
http://www.stevecolgan.com/Portfolio/Lemmings%20(Fortean%20Times).jpg

desertking
07-05-2005, 08:31 PM
It looks like I have some catching up to do. Its good to know that I'm not the only one that feels the need to reread so many times. I'm sure that the pages on this book will be well worn before I'm finished.

KingMarc
07-05-2005, 10:13 PM
I've done it about once every 6 weeks, and I got the book when it came out..not quite sure when that was though ;p

Idaho Ave
07-06-2005, 08:57 AM
I haven't stopped reading SSH since I bought it when if first came out. The book hasnt seen a bookshelf since it was removed from the bookshelf at Barnes and Noble. I still feel like my understanding is inadequate so I am still working on grasping a couple of things. I am excited to move onto the book recomendations made in GSIH. Now the cover on my SSH is damaged and some of the pages are close to falling out. On a day when I was being completely unreasonable I got pissed off at 2+2 because my book was falling apart, thinking they should send me a new book, because they know damned well the 2+2 society needs tough tough books. but then I remembered SSH has made me around 850 dollars which means the 30 bucks I paid for it was absolutely positive EV.

I had a day dream the other day. In this day dream I was in a book club where people were talking books. In this circle they were going deep like with Bukowski and other lit significants that I am completley unfarmiliar with when ask me for my opinion on the two most peronally influencal books that I have ever read, and I proudly "Small Stakes Holdem the definate guide to crushing loose games and ametuer opponents," by Ed Miller, and "Golf is Not A Game of Perfect," by Bob Rotella. Good good stuff.

DeuceKicker
07-06-2005, 04:37 PM
I've only read it once. I'm waiting for someone to tell me what color socks I should be wearing while reading before further wandering into unknown territory.

desertking
07-06-2005, 08:29 PM
Wearing socks while reading SSH is -EV. It really doesnt matter what color they are.

[ QUOTE ]
I've only read it once. I'm waiting for someone to tell me what color socks I should be wearing while reading before further wandering into unknown territory.

[/ QUOTE ]

BillUCF
07-07-2005, 05:13 AM
I have about 20 poker books that I have read no less than 3 times each. I am on my 5th read of SSH. I have also written tests I administer to myself for SSH, HPFOA, and The Theory of Poker

oreogod
07-07-2005, 05:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have about 20 poker books that I have read no less than 3 times each. I am on my 5th read of SSH. I have also written tests I administer to myself for SSH, HPFOA, and The Theory of Poker

[/ QUOTE ]

Any of those on the computer?

Ed Miller
07-07-2005, 02:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cute.

The Nutz85
07-07-2005, 07:48 PM
I just got the book 4 hours ago and read it once.

AceCraig
07-07-2005, 09:44 PM
Just finished my 3rd time. I went on a down streak and thought i better study. Things that helped me crush it before but i stopped doing.
1. Protecting my hands by betting or ck raising.
2. building big pots with my big draws.
3. folding in big pots.

I'm gonna take the advise and read it every other month (alternating w/ TOP) and quizes each week. /images/graemlins/grin.gif