PDA

View Full Version : Boringly standard, I suspect

Guy McSucker
07-04-2005, 11:12 AM
Party $5/10. I post in the CO against five unknowns and get dealt A/images/graemlins/spade.gif 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif.

Folded to me so I raise. Button folds. SB 3-bets, BB instacaps (advance action checkbox for certain). I decide to call because I don't think the cap means more than a 3-bet, which from the BB against a CO poster means rather little.

Dispute that if you like, but anyway three of us take a capped flop, which comes

4/images/graemlins/spade.gif 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

giving me a gutshot and an overcard.

SB checks, BB bets, I of course call (should I raise?) and SB folds.

Turn: 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif giving me the straight and nut flush draw.

BB bets, I raise, he calls.

River: 2/images/graemlins/club.gif.

BB bets. I raise.

My plan if he 3-bets is to know that folding is right, agonize over it, call, lose and post the hand here.

Thoughts?

Guy.

irishpint
07-04-2005, 11:38 AM
you'd give our 'instacapper' credit for a 4 or 2 and muck your straight? (or 56 i suppose). Why not cap this river agaisnt his AA or KK?

btw a few things, i dont know if i like posting in the CO in a 6max game, why not just wait for the BB? Also I dunno if I call 2 cold when it comes back to me when I'm thinking I'm behind a larger A, and perhaps a larger PP than 5.

irishpint
07-04-2005, 11:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Folded to me so I raise. Button folds. SB 3-bets, BB instacaps (advance action checkbox for certain). I decide to call because I don't think the cap means more than a 3-bet, which from the BB against a CO poster means rather little.

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont understand why you;re not taking BB seriously here. He is not capping it heads up vs you, and he's not defending his blind agaisnt only you. SB 3bet, and BB now can fold easy knowing no steal went down on his watch, or call the 3bet (and maybe watch you cap it). What sort of hand do you put BB on after he caps this? (my point is that he doens't NEED to cap this, since it's going to be 3 ways, not headsup).

marand
07-04-2005, 11:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Party $5/10. I post in the CO against five unknowns and get dealt A/images/graemlins/spade.gif 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif.

Dispute that if you like, but anyway three of us take a capped flop, which comes

4/images/graemlins/spade.gif 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

giving me a gutshot and an overcard.

SB checks, BB bets, I of course call (should I raise?) and SB folds.

Turn: 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif giving me the straight and nut flush draw.

BB bets, I raise, he calls.

River: 2/images/graemlins/club.gif.

BB bets. I raise.

My plan if he 3-bets is to know that folding is right, agonize over it, call, lose and post the hand here.

Thoughts?

Guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think posting in the CO is fine and I would have raised it preflop. However, when it's 2 back to me I would fold here. The risk of being dominated is almost 100%

After the flop I would play it the same. Capping preflop with a 4 or 2 seems rather strange. If he is that crazy preflop then I don't mind the call preflop /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Guy McSucker
07-04-2005, 11:50 AM
He clicked the "raise any" checkbox.

This means one of two things: either he's got a monster, or he's a lazy idiot who wants to defend his BB against a steal and can't be bothered to play in turn.

Big hands come along rarely and idiots abound on Party. I'm against unknowns. On balance of probability, he's an idiot with an average defending hand.

Anyway I might call A5suited getting 5-1 with position even if I thought the cap were genuine. That's probably wrong, though.

Guy.

rory
07-04-2005, 11:51 AM
fold when its 2 more back to you preflop

i raise that river-- i'm pretty sure the BB does not have a 4 or a 2 in his hand.

Edit: misread the hand!

irishpint
07-04-2005, 11:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

but once SB 3bet can't he safely fold knowing that if you were stealign you just got caught? why would he get involved without some sort of a hand? do you have a read that he's a maniac?

irishpint
07-04-2005, 11:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
fold when its 2 more back to you preflop

why are you at all afraid the BB has 56 or a 2 or a 4 in his hand on the river? if he 3 bets you he probably has an A he thinks is good.

also there is no point in semi-bluff raising the turn because the 3 is not a scary card at all. you want the "bluff" part of semi-bluff to be at something scary, so that the bluff has a good chance of working. the 3 of spades is not exactly a knee-knocking card to be bluffing at. also you want your opponent to be a good player capable of folding to a bluff at a scary card.. and you want it for him to not have much of a hand, which is not the case here because he capped preflop out of the blinds. so you just charged yourself an extra BB to draw. you are lucky you didn't get 3-bet. just because you have a ton of outs doesnt mean semi-bluffing is right, especially on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

read it again. hero made a straight on the turn. we're now behind a 4 only, at this point.

D.H.
07-04-2005, 12:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

but once SB 3bet can't he safely fold knowing that if you were stealign you just got caught?

[/ QUOTE ]

If he clicked the "raise any" he doesn't have time to change his mind... right?

imitation
07-04-2005, 12:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

This means one of two things: either he's got a monster, or he's a lazy idiot who wants to defend his BB against a steal and can't be bothered to play in turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or you lagged slightly and he actually paused 2seconds before raising......this happens to me alot.

Surfbullet
07-04-2005, 01:05 PM
I fold A5s when it's 2 back to me, even with these extenuating circumstances - I think we are dominated far far too often.

I raise the river, as I suspect this is a slightly timid overpair that would rather stopNgo the river than 3bet/lead.

Surf

adamstewart
07-04-2005, 01:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I fold A5s when it's 2 back to me, even with these extenuating circumstances - I think we are dominated far far too often.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to agree here. With just sitting down at this table and having no reads, you've got to fold this hand when it's two back to you.

Don't let the results of this hand fool you... you got extremely lucky here with the nearly perfect/perfect flop/turn, I suspect.

Most other times, you're going to be folding by the turn because you miss, or you're going to lose a lot more when your dominated ace hits.

Adam

Guy McSucker
07-04-2005, 02:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

you'd give our 'instacapper' credit for a 4 or 2 and muck your straight?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I'd give him credit, feel I ought to fold, and call anyway, like I said.

[ QUOTE ]

i dont know if i like posting in the CO in a 6max game

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm reliably informed it's the right move 6-handed. There was a recent thread about it (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2201030&page=&view=&sb=5& o=&fpart=all&vc=1).

[ QUOTE ]

Also I dunno if I call 2 cold when it comes back to me

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, on balance I think that was a mistake.

Guy.

cartman
07-04-2005, 02:37 PM
I.....
(1) raise the river
(2) soil my chair when he 3-bets
(3) cap it so I don't have to schedule an appointment at the gynecologist
(4) laugh hysterically as he rolls over A2s

Cartman