PDA

View Full Version : Terrible river check?

marand
07-04-2005, 06:50 AM
Villian is aggressive and check/raises about 3%. (35/15)

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (9 SB) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

River: (9.50 BB) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 9.50 BB

If you bet the river do you call a check/raise?

wheelz
07-04-2005, 06:52 AM
Very easy bet, I'm calling a raise

imported_Robert Andersson
07-04-2005, 07:16 AM
very easy check!

deepsquat
07-04-2005, 07:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
very easy check!

[/ QUOTE ]

How so? If villain had the A or K of diamonds he would be alot more aggro on the flop.

I bet and call a raise.

nervous
07-04-2005, 07:59 AM
Checking is supremely weak-tight.

You are playing 10/20, remember.

Nietzsche
07-04-2005, 08:52 AM
I think you have a clear bet. The number of hands that will call is huge. Very often an Ad or a Kd will bet fearing you will check you top pair behind due to the scary board so his checking makes it more slightly more likely he has no Ad or Kd.

Unless he has shown lots of trickyness prior to this hand I fold to a CR.

imported_Robert Andersson
07-04-2005, 11:11 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar till:</font><hr />
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar till:</font><hr />
very easy check!

[/ QUOTE ]

How so? If villain had the A or K of diamonds he would be alot more aggro on the flop.

I bet and call a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

i guess your right here, if he beats me now he would have shown a sign at the flop. Bet is probably right here. Hope i didnt hurts someones game by giving such advice. Good luck!

banks
07-04-2005, 12:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Jeff W
07-04-2005, 12:38 PM
I bet-call river and I raise the flop.

StellarWind
07-04-2005, 01:13 PM
You have to bet any hand down to at least AQ no diamond. Probably you should go lower still.

You should not even be thinking about what to do in case of a checkraise because it has very little to do with your bet/check decision.

1. You will not be checkraised very often with this board.

2. When you do get checkraised you will suffer an EV loss due to your bet of roughly 2 BB regardless of whether you call (and usually lose 2 BB) or fold (and lose 1 BB plus an occasional pot).

The practical approach is just to budget for the occasional 2 BB loss. That means you need 2-1 odds to bet the river and obviously you are getting that with plenty to spare.

Thinking about how to deal with a checkraise is just distracting you from making the obviously correct bet. Streamline your multitabling thought process. If he actually raises then you can think about whether you need to call (I would). The checkraise probably will not even come up so don't devote time and energy to figuring out something you don't need to know.

Surfbullet
07-04-2005, 01:15 PM
Bet this river and call a raise.

Surf

adamstewart
07-04-2005, 01:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I bet-call river and I raise the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the flop smooth call, especially since it's down to heads up, and Hero has position on the turn.

Adam

adamstewart
07-04-2005, 01:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ditto

marand
07-04-2005, 02:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You have to bet any hand down to at least AQ no diamond. Probably you should go lower still.

You should not even be thinking about what to do in case of a checkraise because it has very little to do with your bet/check decision.

1. You will not be checkraised very often with this board.

2. When you do get checkraised you will suffer an EV loss due to your bet of roughly 2 BB regardless of whether you call (and usually lose 2 BB) or fold (and lose 1 BB plus an occasional pot).

The practical approach is just to budget for the occasional 2 BB loss. That means you need 2-1 odds to bet the river and obviously you are getting that with plenty to spare.

Thinking about how to deal with a checkraise is just distracting you from making the obviously correct bet. Streamline your multitabling thought process. If he actually raises then you can think about whether you need to call (I would). The checkraise probably will not even come up so don't devote time and energy to figuring out something you don't need to know.

[/ QUOTE ]

I always decide if I am going to call a check/raise or not before I valuebet the river. Usually I only end up betting the river when I am going to call that check/raise. But I realise that I don't valuebet the river enough and that's the reason I made this post. When I looked through my hands today I thought to myself, this must be at least a 0.5BB mistake not to bet this river.

I guess I should start using your advice and valuebet when I feel I should and worry about what to do to an occational check/raise WHEN it happends.

Thanks for your reply, it really made me see this more clearly /images/graemlins/smile.gif