PDA

View Full Version : How do you assign value in a secular universe

mrgold
07-04-2005, 04:54 AM
Assuming the existance of an all powerful deity (which I don't) why is it assumed that said deity has a monopoly on morality? To give an example, if we were to suppose that catholics were right and that god was firmly against the use of contraceptives does that make the use of such contraceptives morally wrong? Isn't the role of contraceptives in promoting total utillity by alleviating problems of world hunger and poverty more significant to their moral status than the opinion of a self proclaimed master of the universe?

mrgold
07-04-2005, 04:55 AM
whoops changed my mind about topic and ended up w/ wrong title...lol

drudman
07-04-2005, 04:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Assuming the existance of an all powerful deity (which I don't) why is it assumed that said deity has a monopoly on morality? To give an example, if we were to suppose that catholics were right and that god was firmly against the use of contraceptives does that make the use of such contraceptives morally wrong? Isn't the role of contraceptives in promoting total utillity by alleviating problems of world hunger and poverty more significant to their moral status than the opinion of a self proclaimed master of the universe?

[/ QUOTE ]
It isn't assumed. It's explicitly stated in virtually every religion.

bronzepiglet
07-04-2005, 05:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Isn't the role of contraceptives in promoting total utillity by alleviating problems of world hunger and poverty more significant to their moral status than the opinion of a self proclaimed master of the universe?

[/ QUOTE ]

But then you get stuck with the problem of proving that world hunger and poverty are bad things, instead of just morally arbitrary concepts. One can reason it out for a while, but will inevitably have to fall back on the "just cuz" argument.