PDA

View Full Version : Value bet this river?

vulturesrow
07-04-2005, 02:56 AM
No reads on the Villain

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP3 ($34.7)
CO ($4.1)
Button ($66.65)
SB ($91.66)
Hero ($18.5)
UTG ($43.75)
UTG+1 ($26.6)
MP1 ($3.65)
MP2 ($14.55)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, CO calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0.75) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $1</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $3</font>, CO folds, SB calls $2.

Turn: ($6.75) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $4</font>, SB calls $4.

River: ($14.75) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: $14.75

The guy called me twice, which tends to scare me more than raises. I think chances are good that if bet the river I open myself up to a big checkraise that might make me lay down.

Mostly interested in the river play but I think perhaps the turn couldve played differently...

Thanks.

PokerFink
07-04-2005, 03:06 AM
I'm probably not even betting the turn. Definitely not the river, unless villian a mega calling station.

vulturesrow
07-04-2005, 03:11 AM
To be honest, I didnt really consider not betting the turn. Doesnt that set you up to get pushed out on the river?

PokerFink
07-04-2005, 03:19 AM
So you fear that the villian is good enough to sense weakness and push you out on the river with an inferior hand, yet you think he is bad enough that he will call down 2 more bets with a hand that looses to you?

vulturesrow
07-04-2005, 03:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So you fear that the villian is good enough to sense weakness and push you out on the river with an inferior hand, yet you think he is bad enough that he will call down 2 more bets with a hand that looses to you?

[/ QUOTE ]

As incomprehensible as it might be, this isnt an uncommon combination at the 25NL /images/graemlins/smile.gif But I see your point. Its not they are good, they just think no bet=no hand /images/graemlins/smile.gif So then I take it you are definitely not betting the turn?

Apologize if this seems basic but Im just getting back into NL after a long stretch of limit so I have to readjust my thinking a bit.

PokerFink
07-04-2005, 03:28 AM
Hey no worries, that's what the forum is for. And you're right, it's 25NL, so who knows.

I'm never betting the river unless villian is a total donk. On the turn, there are a comple of different situations to consider.

1) Villian likes to bluff: Check the turn, call the river.

2) Villian likes to slowplay: Bet the turn small, check behind the river to see a cheap showdown. This keeps him from check/raising (hopefully).

3) Villian is a calling station: Keep value betting all streets, let him pay you off with king high or whatever.

4) Villian is reasonable: check it down.

5) I have no read: check it down.

vulturesrow
07-04-2005, 03:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hey no worries, that's what the forum is for. And you're right, it's 25NL, so who knows.

I'm never betting the river unless villian is a total donk. On the turn, there are a comple of different situations to consider.

1) Villian likes to bluff: Check the turn, call the river.

2) Villian likes to slowplay: Bet the turn small, check behind the river to see a cheap showdown. This keeps him from check/raising (hopefully).

3) Villian is a calling station: Keep value betting all streets, let him pay you off with king high or whatever.

4) Villian is reasonable: check it down.

5) I have no read: check it down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks man. Since it is late here are the results and then I'll talk a little more.

First off:

Final Pot: $14.75

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
SB has Ts 8s (two pair, tens and fives).
Hero has 6s Ac (two pair, aces and fives).
Outcome: Hero wins $14.75. </font>

I am still sitting with him as we speak. My read now is that he loves to play "tricky". Tricky in his mind being calling with basically any 2 cards and hoping to hit a flop. Sometimes he calls without hitting the flop. He doesnt do it all the time, but he has shown down some real crap hands. Given that read, any adjustments to my play in this hand or is about right?

PokerFink
07-04-2005, 04:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Since villian obviously qualifies as a calling station, bet four or five on the river.

He does have a draw, so his play isn't that bad.

Malachii
07-04-2005, 04:59 AM
Man, pokerfink makes good posts!

Btw, what's Villain's name? /images/graemlins/grin.gif