PDA

View Full Version : New Forum Software

08-28-2001, 10:11 AM
Hi,

We're experimenting with some new forum software,

and Vince gets to be the lucky one to try it out

first. There were some minor configuration problems

earlier but I hope that I've cleared them up.

I'd be interested in hearing what you like or don't

like about this new software.

Chuck

08-28-2001, 12:44 PM
I'm not sure what the "views" refers to in the title. I do like the centered text. What else should I be looking for in ways of differences?

vince

08-28-2001, 04:57 PM
It looks like "views" is how many times your post has been clicked on. I plan on clicking on my own posts thousands of times to make people think I'm popular (oops, my secret's out)

08-28-2001, 05:46 PM
It doesn't allow you to see the post you are responding to. In the poker forums the details are quite important and you often need to refer to them.

08-28-2001, 05:51 PM
Don't know if I just missed it or what, but I liked the "New!" feature...it lets you know what you've read already!

08-28-2001, 06:39 PM
Chuck

I like how the software brings you back to the same place you were at when you "return to index". Previously, you had to hit "back" on your browser in order to get there, because if you hit "return to index", it started you over again at the beginning.

I HATE the fact that you can't see the post you are responding to when you are writing your response. It makes it much more difficult to copy and paste quotations from the post you are responding to, something which a lot of people do a lot of the time. I have a feeling you may get more than just me relaying this sentiment to you.

I agree with vince, I don't like the centered text.

Dave in Cali

08-28-2001, 07:18 PM
Chuck,

I too would prefer to see the message that I am posting a response to. Other than that, I like the counts, the page centering, the spell check (especially for Vince), the easier way to edit your post, and the new "return to index" feature.

Are there OTHER new features that we haven't figured out yet?

08-28-2001, 07:33 PM
I like the spell checker too. Of course no one will use it, especially Ray. So it's useless. But I still like it anyway, evn tho me spellin is alwayz poifect, so of course I will have no use for it either.

One more thing, I don't like this itty bitty text box to put your responses in. Make it bigger. There is all kinds of wasted space above where I am writing, space that could allow the text box to be bigger. Makes for easier writing of posts for those of us who don't pre-fabricate them on a word processor.

Dave in Cali

08-28-2001, 08:11 PM
The index and response pages do not adjust to the width of my browser, but the message pages do. I usually don't have to scroll right to see the text, but the ads on the right side are obscured. Not so much a problem for me as for Mason....

08-28-2001, 08:58 PM
I like the old style better. I don't the number of views being shown. I do like the big red letters indicating a new post.

: Hi,

: We're experimenting with some new forum software,

: and Vince gets to be the lucky one to try it out

: first. There were some minor configuration problems

: earlier but I hope that I've cleared them up.

: I'd be interested in hearing what you like or don't

: like about this new software.

: Chuck

08-29-2001, 10:01 AM
Chuck

I still don't like the way it's set up. I don't like the entirety of the text you are responding to automatically being put into the response text box. I love the giant response box though. Can't we still have the previous message above us?

Dave in Cali

: Hi,

: We're experimenting with some new forum software,

: and Vince gets to be the lucky one to try it out

: first. There were some minor configuration problems

: earlier but I hope that I've cleared them up.

: I'd be interested in hearing what you like or don't

: like about this new software.

: Chuck

08-29-2001, 01:59 PM

08-30-2001, 12:46 AM
The new forum software appears to be mostly informational and not a true format change. There are better boards out there in terms of functionality.

IMHO,

The threads are disjointed and it is hard to follow the deeper topics unless you have a ruler.

The topics that can go on for a while fall off the face of the earth over time. I've seen over 500 responses to some threads in other forums. They can continue because the thread moves to the top when it is responded to. That is not possible here. Some threads deserve to be around longer.

When they do fall off, they fall off in pieces by age. You get a lot of re: topics that don't make sense if you just got back from a weeks trip. There is little reason to respond to older posts because it is hard to make it to the bottom of the list sorting through cheese that you don't want to see again.

Just my thoughts. Oh, the spell checker is nice. Maybe a grammar checker would be helpful too.

08-31-2001, 01:20 PM
I hope you have fixed that stupid bug where if you previewed then posted it would sometimes claim that your post was a duplicate.

Also, it would be better if threads disappeared as a whole, rather than displaying the last 300 messages even if their parents are gone.

The feature I really want is to be alerted somehow when there is a new response to one of my posts, so that if I post six comments at once in three different forums, in the middle of the page in different threads, I don't have to go to each forum one by one and search for my name.

And as far as I can tell it doesn't support using html in comments anymore, which really, really sucks. At the very least give us stuff like bold, italic, font size, etc.