PDA

View Full Version : AJ against a monster re-raise

The Absurdist
07-04-2005, 01:58 AM
Obviously AJ cannot stand a large re-raise but I played the following hand today and had a few questions.

Party Poker 20+2 SNG, 5 handed
Level 5: Blinds are 75/150
Hand 9 (Blinds to go up again very soon)

Player A 2800
Hero 1000
Player C 2900
SB 800
BB 300

Action:

Player A folds

Hero looks down to find A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif J /images/graemlins/club.gif

My thinking....Good hand, Player C has a lot of chips but seems tight, big blind is the micro stack and is loose and aggressive so I welcome a call with an inferior hand.

I raise to 350.

Player C raises to 1000, putting me all-in.

Both blinds fold.

Pot is 1575, 650 more to call. I'm getting almost 2.5 to 1 on my money but do I risk being knocked out with a hand that is almost certainly behind.

My thinking...he probably has a large pair, KK or QQ but possibly JJ. I am no Kreskin but I doubt he would make that play with TT. Also likely are AK and AQ. Any way you slice it, I am dominated. But, the pot odds are too tempting to lay it down and I call.

Is this the obvious play, or do I fold and try to find a better spot in spite of the rising blinds. I am probably the toughest plyer at the table and two small stacks could bust out any minute with their awful play. What do you think?

11t
07-04-2005, 02:13 AM
Firstly, you have 1000 chips when the blinds are at 75/150 which makes any hand you enter push/fold. So when it folds to you just push.

Secondly, you raised to 350 and somebody raised you to 1k (which is not "monster" it is simply the typical raise that anybody entering the pot is going to make) and got raised. I'd fold on top of the raise since the only hands you are a marginal dog to are 88-TT and I doubt many players are doing such raises with weaker holdings. However you are getting 2.5:1 so you have the odds to call even if you are a big dog.

None the less stick to the 10xBB rule and push/fold hands where you are <x10bb that way you don't have to worry about situations and you will have FE against the big stacks who might think they can raise you out pots. It is l33t pok3r.