PDA

View Full Version : MLB All Star Game Final Vote Candidates

The Armchair
07-03-2005, 10:50 PM
For the AL, it is a choice out of five batters.
For the NL, all five are pitchers.

Does anyone else think that's stupid?

pryor15
07-03-2005, 11:26 PM
i think we should organize an anti-jeter vote. where we all vote for the same guy. i nominate torii hunter.

sam h
07-04-2005, 12:17 AM
All five of those guys in AL seem like better choices than Shea Hillenbrand. What's up with that one?

sublime
07-04-2005, 12:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i think we should organize an anti-jeter vote. where we all vote for the same guy. i nominate torii hunter.

[/ QUOTE ]

jeter has more intangibles in his pinkie finger than hunter has in his whole body.

pryor15
07-04-2005, 12:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

jeter has more intangibles in his pinkie finger than hunter has in his whole body.

[/ QUOTE ]

so? it'd still be nice to see someone other than jeter in the all-star game

Matt Williams
07-04-2005, 12:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Coming from a Boston fan, that is quite the compliment. Jeter really is the man though. Is there ANYONE that is more feared than Jeter in October? It cracks me up when I read on ESPN.com about how Jeter is overrated and sucks defensively. Especially Rob Neyer, he seems to dislike Jeter for some reason. But yet, anyone that actually counts for an opinion (managers, players, scouts, ect.) will tell you there is no one better than Jeter when the pressure is on. But guys like Neyer and Bill James will say Jeter sucks. I remember one time when Neyer said it wasn't possible for a .275 hitter to become a .350 hitter in October. Umm.. anyone know of Reggie Jackson? Derek Jeter? Jim Leyritz? Lenny Dykstra? Carlos Beltran? Not to mention pitchers like Don Larsen, Orel Hershiser, Mariano Rivera, El Duke, David Wells ect. Some players can lift their games when the pressure is the highest. Jeter is one of them.

Vince Young
07-04-2005, 12:45 AM
Am I the only one who realizes sublime was being sarcastic?

Matt Williams
07-04-2005, 12:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He may have been sarcastic, but I do know that no one else is more feared than Jeter among Boston fans when they play the Yankees.

Dynasty
07-04-2005, 01:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You should wait longer than 26 minutes and two responses before making a post like this.

Jack of Arcades
07-04-2005, 01:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He may have been sarcastic, but I do know that no one else is more feared than Jeter among Boston fans when they play the Yankees.

[/ QUOTE ]

CAREER STATS VERSUS BOSTON
Derek Jeter: .275/.360/.403
Jorge Posada: .246/.359/.451
Gary Sheffield: .311/.376/.493
Hideki Matsui: .321/.370/.484
Bernie Williams: .269/.364/.439
A-Rod: .289/.376/.499

pryor15
07-04-2005, 01:51 AM
matsui scares the hell out of me.

Matt Williams
07-04-2005, 01:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

CAREER STATS VERSUS BOSTON
Derek Jeter: .275/.360/.403
Jorge Posada: .246/.359/.451
Gary Sheffield: .311/.376/.493
Hideki Matsui: .321/.370/.484
Bernie Williams: .269/.364/.439
A-Rod: .289/.376/.499

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. I knew Matsui was up there but didn't realize Sheffield was. Can you find out stats for the post-season?

Jack of Arcades
07-04-2005, 01:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
t cracks me up when I read on ESPN.com about how Jeter is overrated and sucks defensively. Especially Rob Neyer, he seems to dislike Jeter for some reason. But yet, anyone that actually counts for an opinion (managers, players, scouts, ect.) will tell you there is no one better than Jeter when the pressure is on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, okay. So Neyer and many others say Jeter is not a good defensively, and you counter by saying he's clutch? That's a complete non-sequitur.

[ QUOTE ]
But guys like Neyer and Bill James will say Jeter sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

James ranks Jeter has one of the top twenty shortstops of all time.
Neyer ranks Jeter as the top SS in NYY history and says he "made a lot of big plays in a lot of big games."

[ QUOTE ]
I remember one time when Neyer said it wasn't possible for a .275 hitter to become a .350 hitter in October. Umm.. anyone know of Reggie Jackson?

[/ QUOTE ]

Career .278 hitter in the postseason.

[ QUOTE ]
Derek Jeter?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Jim Leyritz?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Lenny Dykstra?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Carlos Beltran?

[/ QUOTE ]

Congratulations, you named one .350 post season hitter, and he did it in 46 AB.

Jack of Arcades
07-04-2005, 01:56 AM
Post season overall, or postseason vs BOS?

You can find them on baseball-reference.com, but you'll have to do some math to get it just versus Boston.

Matt Williams
07-04-2005, 02:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
t cracks me up when I read on ESPN.com about how Jeter is overrated and sucks defensively. Especially Rob Neyer, he seems to dislike Jeter for some reason. But yet, anyone that actually counts for an opinion (managers, players, scouts, ect.) will tell you there is no one better than Jeter when the pressure is on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, okay. So Neyer and many others say Jeter is not a good defensively, and you counter by saying he's clutch? That's a complete non-sequitur.

[ QUOTE ]
But guys like Neyer and Bill James will say Jeter sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

James ranks Jeter has one of the top twenty shortstops of all time.
Neyer ranks Jeter as the top SS in NYY history and says he "made a lot of big plays in a lot of big games."

[ QUOTE ]
I remember one time when Neyer said it wasn't possible for a .275 hitter to become a .350 hitter in October. Umm.. anyone know of Reggie Jackson?

[/ QUOTE ]

Career .278 hitter in the postseason.

[ QUOTE ]
Derek Jeter?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Jim Leyritz?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Lenny Dykstra?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Carlos Beltran?

[/ QUOTE ]

Congratulations, you named one .350 post season hitter, and he did it in 46 AB.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't remember the article that Neyer was talking about how it's impossible for players to raise their game, but he did say it. He may not have used (probably didn't) the players I have, but he said you can't raise your game just because it is October. I find that to be false. If Neyer is now ranking Jeter as the top shortstop in NYY history, that is a change from how he was 2 or 3 years ago. If you read Neyer, you have to admit he is biased against the Yankees. Bill James goes by win/shares which I personally think is BS. He uses a computer to figure that out but doesn't take into account real game situations(leadership or the knack for being in the right place at the right time. Like Jeter was against Oakland in 2001. Or David Justice hitting that HR against the Indians in game 6 in 1995. Or Mark Lemke for the Braves during the '90's.). My point of the previous post is that certain players do rise to the occasion when the pressure is on especially in October.

Jack of Arcades
07-04-2005, 02:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If Neyer is now ranking Jeter as the top shortstop in NYY history, that is a change from how he was 2 or 3 years ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

The book in which he does so came out on June 2, 2003 (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0743241746/qid=1120459687/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_ur_1/103-5028742-3990207?v=glance&s=books&n=507846).

Honestly, you're tilting against windmills here by misrepresenting James/Neyer.

Sometimes, too, you're just plain wrong.

Mark Lemke is "clutch" because he played out of his mind in a couple series (and blew chunks in the others)? David Justice somehow deserves credit because he hit series-winning homer when he hit .224 in his career in the post-season?

sublime
07-04-2005, 03:35 AM
two points

#1 i was kidding. it was a joke to mock the people who seem to think jeter can bat .300/20/85 and somehow that translates to .320/25/100 they guy is/was a great player. let him be judged on his stats (they are good enough) and leave out all the nonsense about intangibles and spin moves.

#2 jack owns

sublime
07-04-2005, 03:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/blush.gif

pryor15
07-04-2005, 03:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry. didn't catch the sarcasm.

side note: does anyone else find it interesting that francona didn't add any of his players to the team as other AL managers have been prone to do. let's just say that if previous standards had held, wakefield and trot nixon might be on the team

Voltron87
07-04-2005, 12:03 PM
1. ive given up on arguing about jeter with people. its a waste of time.

2. teh flip >>> everything in torii hunter's career

3. jeter pwns. you would love him if he was on your team. the guy is just classy and plays the game well, hes not a "great" hitter, compared with other all stars but he is an incredible player, and i cant imagine the yankees without him.

TheJunkyardGod
07-04-2005, 12:31 PM
I'm really pissed that Cliff Floyd was pretty much passed by this year. He's carried the mets and noone seems to notice him at all.

nothumb
07-04-2005, 12:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Last year it was the yellow devil for me. That guy was an absolute savage against us all season.

NT