PDA

View Full Version : NEW AND IMPROVED Best Action Movie of the 80s Poll!!! - Round Two

swede123
07-03-2005, 09:48 PM
Round One held few surprises with only three lower seeds winning. Most dominating was Die Hard over Next of Kin, taking home a whopping 100% of the votes. Let's see what happens in Round Two. Here are your matchups...

swede123
07-04-2005, 01:04 AM
Go Top Gun!

Popinjay
07-04-2005, 01:12 AM
Does Glory really count as an action movie?

[censored]
07-04-2005, 01:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Does Glory really count as an action movie?

[/ QUOTE ]

I sure as hell didn't think so.

swede123
07-04-2005, 01:35 AM
We went over this already. Someone nominated it in the initial thread and IMDB has it listed as "action" among other categories. That's why I put it in there, along with other cross-over movies like Bladerunner (action/sci-fi), 48Hrs (action/comedy) and so on. If you don't consider it a greater action movie than whatever movie it's up against don't vote for it.

Swede

Pocket Trips
07-04-2005, 01:40 AM
Niether does any movie with Eddie Murphy... Bevewrly Hills Cop is a comedy, not an action movie

ChipWrecked
07-04-2005, 02:16 AM
Early on in the voting, but I'm amazed to see Top Gun beating Platoon. It does offer some slam-bang dogfighting scenes, but overall I thought it sucked.

Predator v. Highlander, ouch! Tough. Had to go with Ahnold though.

cold_cash
07-04-2005, 02:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Go Top Gun!

[/ QUOTE ]

I really hope Ice Man drops by this thread. He's cool.

ptmusic
07-04-2005, 02:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Go Top Gun!

[/ QUOTE ]

Signs of a misspent youth.

-ptmusic

ptmusic
07-04-2005, 02:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Round One held few surprises with only three lower seeds winning. Most dominating was Die Hard over Next of Kin, taking home a whopping 100% of the votes. Let's see what happens in Round Two. Here are your matchups...

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to make it clear: "...The Last Crusade" was the piece of crap Indiana Jones with Sean Connery acting like an idiot. The first two were good, but that third one was STUPID.

-ptmusic

fluxrad
07-04-2005, 02:37 AM
Um...at least 10 of these movies aren't even "Action" movies.

The Empire Strikes Back (Sci-Fi)
Tron (Sci-Fi)
Full Metal Jacket (Drama)
The Return of the Jedi (Sci-Fi)
Aliens (Horror)
Platoon (Drama)
Top Gun (Drama)
Bladerunner (Sci-Fi)
Glory (Drama)
Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan (Sci-Fi)

I'll give you a pass on the Eddie Murphy movies and the Indiana jones flicks, but none of the above movies could be stocked in the "Action" category.

I should also point out that First Blood wasn't really an action movie either. They just turned the series in that direction with later films (ala Rocky).

--- Edit ---
OK. I'll give you a pass on Top Gun.

cold_cash
07-04-2005, 02:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to make it clear: "...The Last Crusade" was the piece of crap Indiana Jones with Sean Connery acting like an idiot. The first two were good, but that third one was STUPID.

-ptmusic

[/ QUOTE ]

Raiders of the Lost Ark is pretty much my favorite movie of all time, so it's difficult for me to convey in words how disappointed I was with The Temple of Doom.

Granted, The Last Crusade doesn't even deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as the original, but Temple of Doom licked some serious beanbag; comparatively speaking, The Last Crusade was Gone With the Wind.

ptmusic
07-04-2005, 03:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-ptmusic

[/ QUOTE ]

Raiders of the Lost Ark is pretty much my favorite movie of all time, so it's difficult for me to convey in words how disappointed I was with The Temple of Doom.

Granted, The Last Crusade doesn't even deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as the original, but Temple of Doom licked some serious beanbag; comparatively speaking, The Last Crusade was Gone With the Wind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Alright, you got me. Mrs. Spielberg and the little Asian kid were pretty pathetic. But The Last Crusade was "God awful."

Please vote against it; also Snake Bliskin gets a funny name award of some sort.

-ptmusic

oreogod
07-04-2005, 04:22 AM
unfair matchups on a few of those. Predator vs Highlander? Terminator vs. First Blood.

IMO Aliens has it way easy...obviously its one of the greatest action movies ever...but it easily surpasses Running Man.

Wired Jokers
07-04-2005, 10:10 AM
How the Road Warrior is losing to Beverly Hills Cop is beyond me.

The last 30 minutes of TRW is probably one of the greatest exibitions of action and fury ever produced.

Jeff W
07-04-2005, 10:14 AM
I cannot believe Road Warrior is losing to Beverly Hills Cop.

ptmusic
07-04-2005, 01:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How the Road Warrior is losing to Beverly Hills Cop is beyond me.

The last 30 minutes of TRW is probably one of the greatest exibitions of action and fury ever produced.

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone actually died in the making of those last 30 minutes, I heard.

Anyway, yeah, this must be that people didn't see The Road Warrior?

-ptmusic

Jeff W
07-04-2005, 01:21 PM
I think The Road Warrior is the best film in the poll.

swede123
07-04-2005, 06:59 PM
Roadwarrior is certainly one of my favorite action movies, but is it better than Die Hard or Aliens? I'm not so sure.

Swede

redrooski24
07-04-2005, 08:14 PM
How the hell is Top Gun ahead of Platoon? It's by far the best war movie of the 80s. While Top Gun was entertaining, it was pretty much a flashy show with some dogfighting.

swede123
07-04-2005, 08:49 PM
Probably because many consider Platoon primarly a war movie or drama, where as Top Gun clearly is all action. Same reasoning why Bloodsport is kicking Glory's ass.

Swede

Jeff W
07-04-2005, 09:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Roadwarrior is certainly one of my favorite action movies, but is it better than Die Hard or Aliens?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. The Mad Max trilogy is a masterpiece.

TimTimSalabim
07-04-2005, 10:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Roadwarrior is certainly one of my favorite action movies, but is it better than Die Hard or Aliens?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. The Mad Max trilogy is a masterpiece.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, 2/3rds of it is anyway /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Jeff W
07-04-2005, 11:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like all 3 movies. I think 3 is weakest and 1 is the best.

Jules22
07-04-2005, 11:48 PM
need some platoon fans to make a comeback here, [censored] top gun when u compare it to platoon, that movie was awesome

ptmusic
07-05-2005, 12:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like all 3 movies. I think 3 is weakest and 1 is the best.

[/ QUOTE ]

Beyond Thunderdome was a joke.

-ptmusic

swede123
07-05-2005, 10:14 AM
Bumping in case anyone missed this one during the weekend.

Swede

samjjones
07-05-2005, 10:20 AM
Bloodsport kicking the PISS out of Glory!

MoreWineII
07-05-2005, 10:34 AM
Big Trouble losing to RotJ is a goddamned travesty.

swede123
07-05-2005, 11:15 AM
Don't blame me. I voted Kurt Russel over Ewoks.

Swede

Jeff W
07-05-2005, 01:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Way too harsh. It doesn't live up to the previous Mad Max movies, but I don't regret watching it.

wayabvpar
07-05-2005, 02:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen. Just saw it again over the weekend- SUCH a great flick. Extremely quotable- always a good sign.

djoyce003
07-05-2005, 03:12 PM
how can top gun be edging platoon. Platoon was so much better on so many different levels and had a HELL of a lot more action....come on people.

samjjones
07-05-2005, 03:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Way too harsh. It doesn't live up to the previous Mad Max movies, but I don't regret watching it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Road Warrior>>>>>>>>Beyond Thunderdome>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Mad Max

samjjones
07-05-2005, 03:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen. Just saw it again over the weekend- SUCH a great flick. Extremely quotable- always a good sign.

[/ QUOTE ]
Return of the Jedi isn't quotable? You are not a Star Wars fan, apparently.