PDA

View Full Version : Showing emotion when winning a pot

Matt Williams
07-03-2005, 07:55 PM
What is the best way to show emotion at a table when you win a pot? I don't want to act like I am a serious player, but at the same time I don't want to look cocky. Sometimes I say "Wow, I can't believe I won that!", but it gets hard when you are up a lot or the same people are at the table for hours. Anyone else have this problem?

AngusThermopyle
07-03-2005, 08:19 PM
Act like you've been there before.
Act like you plan to be back.

Klepton
07-03-2005, 10:06 PM
smile, stack the chips, and tip he dealer a dollar

if you wanna keep the table happy don't be an idiot

cardcounter0
07-03-2005, 10:27 PM
I like the Doyle Brunson approach. As you quietly stack the chips, mumble "Thought you had me there".

BigBaitsim (milo)
07-03-2005, 10:28 PM
I try to look like it was something I expected. Sometimes I can't help but be pleased with a monster pot. Regardless, I try to never hoot and holler, or show extreme emotion.

Solami17
07-03-2005, 11:22 PM
After flipping the dealer his check, silently stack your chips. Saying nothing keeps that element of mystery lingering there. A serious look says you mean business

Mike Gallo
07-03-2005, 11:29 PM
Dude,

Tip the dealer stack your chips and get ready for the next hand. No need to say a word.

other1
07-03-2005, 11:56 PM
You are thinking about this waaaaaaay too much.

Matt Williams
07-04-2005, 12:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You are thinking about this waaaaaaay too much.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a reason I asked. Last Saturday I won $521 playing $4-$8 Hold 'Em at the Tropicana. At one point, people at the table were saying "I am staying away from him, he looks too good to be playing here.". A lot of times everyone would fold pre-flop everytime I raised and I wouldn't even see any flops. Basically I think it's hard to be like "Wow, I got lucky there." when you have over $700 on the table. This has happened several times in the last few months, so I am trying to see how I can change my table image in subtle ways.

boscoboy
07-04-2005, 12:26 AM
then by all means go ahead and act like one.

otherwise read and head the above posted advice

PokerBob
07-04-2005, 12:33 AM
I like to say, "Sometimes I get lucky" if someone says anything to me. Otherwise I tip the dealer and stack the chips. IMO no one really cares what you do or is paying attention unless you draw attention to yourself.

Matt Williams
07-04-2005, 12:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I like to say, "Sometimes I get lucky" if someone says anything to me. Otherwise I tip the dealer and stack the chips. IMO no one really cares what you do or is paying attention unless you draw attention to yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, believe me, I am very low key. I hate drawing attention to myself. If it were allowed, I would take $100 off the table everytime I was up that much.

BottlesOf
07-04-2005, 12:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
...so I am trying to see how I can change my table image in subtle ways.

[/ QUOTE ]

Variance will do it for you in not so subtle ways.

Dynasty
07-04-2005, 01:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
A lot of times everyone would fold pre-flop everytime I raised and I wouldn't even see any flops.

[/ QUOTE ]

Start raising with trash hands.

itsmarty
07-04-2005, 01:42 AM
Watch "Gone", the Barry Sanders story. Flip the football to the ump in a practiced manner and get back to the sideline in an efficient manner.

You're going to win the exact same amount at low limits with the players "looking out for you" as you are otherwise.

Martin

Matt Williams
07-04-2005, 02:15 AM
So basically play it low-key like I have been. Yea, maybe I am thinking too much.

juanez
07-04-2005, 03:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So basically play it low-key like I have been. Yea, maybe I am thinking too much.

[/ QUOTE ]

No way - scream and do the dance like that guy on the Full Tilt commercial who freaks out in front of Howard Lederer....LMAO. I'm kidding of course. /images/graemlins/grin.gif That commercial cracks me up.

tek
07-04-2005, 03:33 AM
Point your thumb and index finger at the guy you beat, go bang and blow on your finger. Then say 'another one bites the dust'. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

jba
07-04-2005, 09:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Yea, believe me, I am very low key. I hate drawing attention to myself. If it were allowed, I would take $100 off the table everytime I was up that much.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you have that many chips in a 4/8 game, try to color up to a few green/black chips.

The Armchair
07-04-2005, 11:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A lot of times everyone would fold pre-flop everytime I raised and I wouldn't even see any flops.

[/ QUOTE ]

Start raising with trash hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or blind straddle.

nothumb
07-04-2005, 01:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There is a reason I asked. Last Saturday I won $521 playing $4-$8 Hold 'Em at the Tropicana. At one point, people at the table were saying "I am staying away from him, he looks too good to be playing here.". A lot of times everyone would fold pre-flop everytime I raised and I wouldn't even see any flops. Basically I think it's hard to be like "Wow, I got lucky there." when you have over $700 on the table. This has happened several times in the last few months, so I am trying to see how I can change my table image in subtle ways.

[/ QUOTE ]

My response in this situation:

"Sun shines on a dog's ass every now and then."

"Yeah, another $300 and I won't even be stuck anymore."

"You can't win if you don't play."

NT

Matt Williams
07-04-2005, 02:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

if you have that many chips in a 4/8 game, try to color up to a few green/black chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

For some reason, the dealers at the Tropicana don't like it when you ask to color up.

nothumb
07-04-2005, 03:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For some reason, the dealers at the Tropicana don't like it when you ask to color up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tip better.

NT

Bekele
07-04-2005, 03:33 PM
I wouldn't get too excited about having alot of money on the table at the Tropicana. I just got back from Vegas and the players at the Tropicana were far and away the worst of any cardroom I played at. And I didn't have any problem when asking to color up. As an aside, I don't consider myself a very good player but the Tropicana was like shooting fish in a barrel.

Matt Williams
07-04-2005, 04:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't get too excited about having alot of money on the table at the Tropicana. I just got back from Vegas and the players at the Tropicana were far and away the worst of any cardroom I played at. And I didn't have any problem when asking to color up. As an aside, I don't consider myself a very good player but the Tropicana was like shooting fish in a barrel.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know the players are horrible. I've seen guys call with trash when the betting is capped pre-flop and after the flop. It is like shooting fish in a barrel. BTW, I never said I was excited or got carried away with winning at the Trop.

TomBrooks
07-04-2005, 06:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I just got back from Vegas and the players at the Tropicana were far and away the worst of any cardroom I played at.

[/ QUOTE ]
Does the Tropicana have the softest 2/4 game in AC? Is it also the softest at 3/6, 4/8 etc?

Matt Williams
07-04-2005, 09:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I just got back from Vegas and the players at the Tropicana were far and away the worst of any cardroom I played at.

[/ QUOTE ]
Does the Tropicana have the softest 2/4 game in AC? Is it also the softest at 3/6, 4/8 etc?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think all the 2/4, 3/6, 4/8 games in AC are soft. You ususally find at least 7 or 8 players in a hand until the turn and 4 or 5 will see the hand until the end. This will occur even if the betting is capped. A lot of the players in AC are retirees who are all calling stations and won't fold unless the hands are complete crap. Even then, they still play the hands.

Gator519
07-04-2005, 10:15 PM
Yea I like using the stuck thing. "Yea.. I'm only stuck 6 racks now" Or "wow I play bad"

TheCroShow
07-05-2005, 04:57 AM
a little fist pump here and there is ok. just don't pull a scott fischman and jump on the table heh celebrations are fine, as long as you do not turn into the screaming swede matthias andersson