PDA

View Full Version : Calling a raise from button with a live blind

cferejohn
02-06-2003, 07:07 PM
This is sort of tangentally related to the Q2s/72s discussions. I play in a 3-6 game at Artichoke Joe's near SF, CA. In this game the button posts a live $3 blind. My question is, what should my requirements be here to call a raise, since I have position and its only costing me half a bet?

Specifically, the other night I was having a truly boring game. Hand after hand I was turning over K4o, Q6o, etc, etc, fold fold fold. In point of fact, I lost $100 and I don't remember ever getting past the turn. Most of my folds I think were fine, and clearly I had some amount of bad luck here (on hands that did go to the river, there is only one I would have won all night), but now I'm wondering if maybe I was too quick to fold on the button when I am raised.

The hand I am specifically thinking of was one where there was an early position raiser (who had been raising alot, but every time I saw his hand, he had something reasonable, so it *might* have just been a good run for him), and 3 (I think, could have been 4) callers. I had 57s. I was briefly tempted to call, but decided I was letting the frustration get to me and laid it down. I was getting at least 9:1 odds here (depending on whether it was 4 or 5 players and whether the SB or BB called). Would you play this?

The reason it sticks with me, of course, is I would have flopped 2 pair and made a boat on the river, but that's not really germaine to the conversation.

J.R.
02-06-2003, 07:28 PM
I would have called the 57s. Think about the hands you would call with from the big blind, then add in the consideration that you have the button, from where it is easier to play medium suited drawings hands, and there you have it. Just steer clear of hands that are likely dominated by raisers and you are in good shape. And don't forget to consider the passivity of the blinds, as a three bet could render some of these hands unplayable.

cferejohn
02-06-2003, 07:38 PM
<ding>

A light just went on in my head. I think before reading this post, I would have been more likely to call a raise in this position with something like KJo rather than 75s, which is of course, completely the wrong play, since anything good I flop to KJo stands a good chance of being dominated by the raiser, who may will have AJ, KQ, AK, AA, KK, or JJ. The right answer is to fold high unsuited cards but consider middle suited connectors if you are getting good pot odds on your 1/2 bet, since they can make a draw which will topple (and one only hopes, frustrate) the big hand. Sorry if that was idiot-obvious to everyone reading it, but I think this has been a big (or at least medium sized) hole in my pre-flop play from the live blind button and the BB. Thanks!

J.R.
02-06-2003, 07:47 PM
Just remeber you still need to hit that draw, so in games that are very aggressive post-flop you should be less inclined to play those hands, even with position, because of the high cost of drawing. Medium to small pairs play better in such a game if you adopt the flop a set or fold approach.

bad beetz
02-06-2003, 07:51 PM
d

cferejohn
02-06-2003, 08:03 PM
Right. Most of the games there are fairly passive. That one was actually more aggressive than most, but most of the aggression was coming from 2 players to my right, one of whom had folded and one of whom was the raiser, so I was pretty confident of no reraise out of the blinds.

cferejohn
02-06-2003, 08:05 PM
Nope. I've never played no-limit, and I've never played in a tournament. Actually, I was thinking of playing in the $55, no rebuy limit tournament at Lucky Chances on Saturday.

Rube
02-06-2003, 08:22 PM
Being half in on the button already, I'd call with any two suited against a raiser and a three cold-callers. I'd also play 57s against a raiser and a single cold-caller.

bad beetz
02-06-2003, 08:31 PM
you should. Loads of fun, not too expensive, and you can only lose $55.

I like the AJ's tourney with the free pizza, but it's probably not profitable.

Ulysses
02-06-2003, 08:54 PM
I haven't played any tournaments yet, but am interested. I think the AJ's Sunday night tourney might be a good one to start out in. Do you play it regularly? Based on the people who bust out of the tourney and come to play the ring games on Sunday night, many of the players are really terrible!

Any thoughts about the tournament in general? It's unlimited rebuys, right?

PocketRocketsBF
02-06-2003, 10:11 PM
It is actually costing you a full bet of $3. The decision is not much different than if you had checked and then were raised by the SB or BB. The point I am getting at is that it is different than completing a small blind where it actually may be a half bet (although in the $3-$6 game you are playing it is 2/3 a bet since the small blind is only a buck).

cferejohn
02-07-2003, 02:41 PM
It is a bet of $3, but I'm calling $3 to have a shot at at least $27 (4 players*$6 + BB*$3). Barring a raise (which I felt was unlikely), thats odds of 9:1 at worst.