PDA

View Full Version : Never happy

Sponger15SB
07-03-2005, 04:06 PM
Unless I win every SNG. I'm not happy. I'm up about 15 buyins in 20 tourneys today and I'm still dissapointed. I still think about the guy who limp-called my A9s all in with 97s and won, I still think about how I've bubbled 3x, and how I missed out on a 3000 chip pot because I lost a coinflip.

Does anyone share this same feeling with me?

11t
07-03-2005, 04:10 PM
The goal is to win them all but that is simply unfeasible in the game we are playing.

It is all about zen baby

I'd be pissed about that 97s too

YourFoxyGrandma
07-03-2005, 04:11 PM
I'm usually unhappy with my results unless I'm really winning alot. It helps me to keep in mind that I'm only supposed to be making 20% on my money; $6 a tourney at the $30s. Bleh. It adds up, right?

johnnybeef
07-03-2005, 04:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I still think about the guy who limp-called my A9s all in with 97s and won

[/ QUOTE ]

This statement shows to me that you are either playing above your head, or are still a ways away from where you need to be. Complaining about getting your money in with way the best of it is piss poor thinking. You did your job, and the cards didn't fall your way. The cards are something that you have absolutely no control over, and there is absolutely no sense in getting all riled up about something that you can't control.

Newt_Buggs
07-03-2005, 04:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd be pissed about that 97s too

[/ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't, in fact I would be laughing. On the other hand, if I pushed 97s from the BB and got called by an A9 limp but sucked out I would be pissed even though I won because I made a bad play.

Sponger15SB
07-03-2005, 04:17 PM
Ok, this is my pathetic thinking....

Say I'm heads up and we've both magically got 4000 chips, my opponent pushes and I call with AA. He flips up 32o and wins. I think think about how I wish I was $60 richer and then I cry myself to sleep at night on my huge pillow.

zipppy
07-03-2005, 04:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This statement shows to me that you are either playing above your head, or are still a ways away from where you need to be. Complaining about getting your money in with way the best of it is piss poor thinking. You did your job, and the cards didn't fall your way. The cards are something that you have absolutely no control over, and there is absolutely no sense in getting all riled up about something that you can't control.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if you know that we have no control over the cards, I think it can still be frustrating, if only for a moment.

Sponger15SB
07-03-2005, 04:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm usually unhappy with my results unless I'm really winning alot. It helps me to keep in mind that I'm only supposed to be making 20% on my money; $6 a tourney at the $30s. Bleh. It adds up, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't keep good stats so I have no idea how much I'm "suppose" to make each tourney.

I tried keeping stats when I moved up to the $55s for like 175 tourneys (30% ROI, then lost $1080...no idea what I'm at after that) and then I found myself off almost every time.

11t
07-03-2005, 04:26 PM
Yah, just some times when people call and they show their cards all I can say is:

"wow, nh"

Blarg
07-03-2005, 04:34 PM
Heheh, I can be like that. It's much more tempting to keep good records when you're winning.

Sponger15SB
07-03-2005, 04:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Heheh, I can be like that. It's much more tempting to keep good records when you're winning.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it wasn't so much that I was keeping records when I was doing well. I just really wanted to start keeping records especially since I was starting fresh in a new level.

Then at the end of the day I'd look at my stats that I've recorded and I should be up $200 but then I look at my accounts and I'm up $700. I mean, thats almost impossible to screw up for that many buyins unless you're retarded.

The Yugoslavian
07-03-2005, 05:13 PM
I've never been up 15 buyins in 20 tournys so I have no idea what you're talking about.

Yugoslav

The Yugoslavian
07-03-2005, 05:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Say I'm heads up and we've both magically got 4000 chips, my opponent pushes and I call with AA. He flips up 32o and wins. I think think about how I wish I was $60 richer and then I cry myself to sleep at night on my huge pillow.

[/ QUOTE ]

You will end up quitting as soon as bad variance rears it's ugly head. Because you obviously have no idea what it is.

Yugoslav

Daliman
07-03-2005, 05:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true. It just shows you don't handle it well. As long as it doesn't affect your play,(which it likely would), it makes little differnce, but I don't recommend it; it makes the swings WAY harder on you.

johnnybeef
07-03-2005, 05:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Not true. It just shows you don't handle it well. As long as it doesn't affect your play,(which it likely would), it makes little differnce, but I don't recommend it; it makes the swings WAY harder on you.

[/ QUOTE ]

so dali, how well do YOU handle swings??? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

pergesu
07-03-2005, 05:31 PM
Wow. Die.

Put [censored] in perspective man. I'm gonna be 20 in three weeks, and have a higher hourly rate than my nurse, MBA, PhD college professor mom.

The only thing that ever bothers me about poker is that I'm not making any kind of contribution to society. Losing a pot to a dominated hand? Gimme a break man - it's absolutely meaningless. But if for some reason it does have an impact on your life, you've got a lot more problems than just losing that pot.

freemoney
07-03-2005, 05:43 PM
your an idiot.

Sponger15SB
07-03-2005, 05:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You will end up quitting as soon as bad variance rears it's ugly head. Because you obviously have no idea what it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh...what the hell are you talking about?

The Yugoslavian
07-03-2005, 05:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh...what the hell are you talking about?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm talking about my prediction for what will happen when you experience IT.

I'm pretty sure my post was quite clear...but I'm sorry if it wasn't. If you can't handle very very good variance, then when you hit IT, you likely won't be able to cope at all.

Yugoslav

Sponger15SB
07-03-2005, 06:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Put [censored] in perspective man. I'm gonna be 20 in three weeks, and have a higher hourly rate than my nurse, MBA, PhD college professor mom.

[/ QUOTE ]

What does this have anything to do with anything?

Sponger15SB
07-03-2005, 06:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure my post was quite clear...but I'm sorry if it wasn't. If you can't handle very very good variance, then when you hit IT, you likely won't be able to cope at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

You seem incredibly clueless as to how many SNGs I've played in my life and you're jumping to retarded conclusions.

Last week I dropped $1080 in 50 tourneys at the $55s, winning two times.

The next day I dropped to the $33s, winning $350 in the morning, and then losing $1000 in the afternoon.

Is losing $1700 in two days good enough for you?

The Yugoslavian
07-03-2005, 06:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You seem incredibly clueless as to how many SNGs I've played in my life and you're jumping to retarded conclusions...

The next day I dropped to the $33s, winning $350 in the morning, and then losing $1000 in the afternoon.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. The fact that this is your 'evidence' for proving how retarded I am actually bolsters my prediction. You're right I don't know how many STTs you've played but I've read *many* of your posts. This is also why I not only don't mind but expect the 'retarted' comment.

I don't really care whether you end up hitting IT and/or quitting....I'm just letting you know that your current mindset will make it exceedlingly difficult to deal with.

Yugoslav

johnnybeef
07-03-2005, 06:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess he has faced IT after all yugo.

donny5k
07-03-2005, 06:30 PM
So you're saying "bad variance" isn't until you lose your entire bankroll? Playing SNG's???

pergesu
[ QUOTE ]
your an idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]
Care to explain? Up 15 buyins in 20 games is a very nice heater. And he comes here bitching about losing a single pot.

You can't win em all, and it shouldn't hurt when you lose one. Especially when he's on a run like that.

flyingmoose
I'm with sponger on this one (never happy), but for different reasons.

I'm almost never satisfied with my play. Even if a go a whole afternoon only making two or three mistakes (almost never happens), I'm still pissed at myself for those mistakes.

Sponger15SB
07-03-2005, 06:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
your an idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]
Care to explain? Up 15 buyins in 20 games is a very nice heater. And he comes here bitching about losing a single pot.

You can't win em all, and it shouldn't hurt when you lose one. Especially when he's on a run like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fine.... pretend you never read my first post....

Yesterday I played like 40 SNGs and finished down $21. Afterwards, I couldn't stop thinking about silly little hands like busting on bubble as a huge favorite in a 4500 chip pot. Does anyone else feel this way after playing?

Apparently a lot of people do.

pergesu
07-03-2005, 06:37 PM
Huh?

[ QUOTE ]
Unless I win every SNG. I'm not happy. I'm up about 15 buyins in 20 tourneys today and I'm still dissapointed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there a part of the first post where you say you hate it when you run bad?

Daliman
07-03-2005, 06:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
your an idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You missed the entire point.

iMsoLucky0
07-03-2005, 06:51 PM
This posts hits on a problem that is very real with poker professionals and poker players in general. The structure of the game itself with different limits, etc. leads to the fact that many players can never truly be happy.

I had a conversation with Michael Mizrachi once and his feels where that when you've won 1000 you want 5000, when you've won 5 you want 10, when you've won 10, you want 100, when you've won 100 you want a million, one million leads to 5, 5 leads to 25, and you are never satisfied.

Think about it. Players are never satisifed.

Isura
07-03-2005, 07:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

5 out of 6 times you win and forget about the hand.

Sponger15SB
07-03-2005, 07:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not lately /images/graemlins/frown.gif

jeffraider
07-03-2005, 08:27 PM
My results only upset me if they're extremely out of line with my play. I don't like playing 10 solid tournaments and finishing OOTM 10 times, but if I get even 1 ITM in the middle there I don't mind at all because that's not so insane. I also don't really care about winning money as much as I do about making good decisions. When I donk off a stack or two I get really upset but if some guy hits a one-outer on the river on me but I played it pretty well I feel pretty happy.

YourFoxyGrandma
07-03-2005, 08:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's this kind of response that is triggering what other posters earlier seemingly presumptuous accusations. It doesn't matter what's been happening lately. 5 out of 6 times you win. End of story. It all comes out in the wash.

I'm sure you understand this and I'm sure you're only joking with your response, but the long term is all that matters. Losing $1000 in 2 days, doing badly over 50 tournamnets, etc. is really insignificant. It shouldn't matter to you (assuming you're playing well).

Worst run of my life, I lost a little more than $800 over 250 tournaments at the $33s. It was making me really upset, the bad beats were picking at my temper and I ended up cashing out and leaving poker for a few months. In that time, I did some thinking and reading on variance. I've recently returned the game with a much better understanding of the games fluctuations, etc. I'm still, like before, dissatisfied with my results from day to day, but it's only because I'm impatient and desire lots of money right away. You can't let the bad beats get to you. Be dissatisfied with yourself, strive to be better, but don't be pissed about getting sucked out on.

I feel like keeping stats would be a good thing for you, Sponger. Maintaining a decent ROI over an extended number of tournaments can be reassuring during a bad run. If you can't keep stats yourself with a spreadsheet, get poker tracker.

I don't mean to lecture. Good luck.

Newt_Buggs
07-03-2005, 09:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
most likely you dismissed it when you were always winning 6 out of 6 times and didn't realize that even a good hand holding up is lucky
[ QUOTE ]
This posts hits on a problem that is very real with poker professionals and poker players in general. The structure of the game itself with different limits, etc. leads to the fact that many players can never truly be happy.

I had a conversation with Michael Mizrachi once and his feels where that when you've won 1000 you want 5000, when you've won 5 you want 10, when you've won 10, you want 100, when you've won 100 you want a million, one million leads to 5, 5 leads to 25, and you are never satisfied.

Think about it. Players are never satisifed.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think that this is a really good point that deserves emphasis. Realizing it can also help you control it. Personally, I just remind myself that if I had been told a year ago that I could make $20 an hour playing poker I would have been esctatic. Knowing that I make much more than that now blows my mind and is hindering me from moving up, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Sponger15SB
07-03-2005, 10:37 PM
Thank you for that response.

SumZero
07-03-2005, 10:50 PM
If you take a 5/6 chance 5000 times it is likely that at some point in time you'll lose it 4 or 5 times in a row some time in that 5000. And it is also liekly that at some point in time you'll only win 3 out of 10 in a row. At that point you might be up set. But it is also likely you'll win 10 in a row a bunch of other times. That's poker. [shuffle up and] DEAL.