PDA

View Full Version : That sinking feeling(nc)

11t
07-03-2005, 04:00 PM
So I'm running extremely hot right now and all I can think about is how bad variance is gonna come back and bite me in the ass.

I guess it is mainly from tryiing to not over-estimate my abilities and keeping things in perspective but, does this happen to anybody else?

skipperbob
07-03-2005, 04:18 PM
This condition has another name: "I Dread even thinking about Cashing-out" /images/graemlins/confused.gif

11t
07-03-2005, 04:23 PM
That is how those rigged sites get you man

Blarg
07-03-2005, 04:27 PM
Heheh, I'm so embarassed that this often happens to me. Sometimes I panic far more when winning than losing.

That's often a good time to take a break, I think. It's pretty crazy to think that just because you've lost some games that you're going to lose the next ones, but it's absolutely assinine to perversely spite yourself with your GOOD fortunte too and turn it against yourself so that you think that it's WINNING that means you're more likely to lose soon. That's just an addiction to stupid negative thinking. Obsessive thinking, or something. Gotta break out of it when it comes, because if it starts to seem even remotely rational, you're a total joke and completely screwed. Laughably screwed by your own dumb self.

So yeah, I've felt that way before. /images/graemlins/smile.gif Of all the times I feel like I'm a moron, those times strike me as some of the most idiotic possible.

The Yugoslavian
07-03-2005, 05:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So I'm running extremely hot right now and all I can think about is how bad variance is gonna come back and bite me in the ass.

I guess it is mainly from tryiing to not over-estimate my abilities and keeping things in perspective but, does this happen to anybody else?

[/ QUOTE ]

Imagine how bad it would suck if all you ever knew was marginal to bad variance.

Yes, many people I'm sure worry about when 'bad variance' will strike. However, what kind of bad variance are you worried about? 13 OOTM? A week of losing? A month of breaking even? The thing about variance is you never know what is going to happen, so just don't think about it. You are more likely to go on another big rush than a big slide if you're a winning player....so think about that if it helps.

Yugoslav

wildzer0
07-03-2005, 05:46 PM
Funny, I was just thinking about that today as I have been running extremely hot after an extended bad run. The way i think about it, which I think helps, is to figure that ok, I had a great run and made a lot of money. At some point, I'm going to lose a lot of that money as I fall back to my average. I don't exactly think of that extra money as mine. The inverse can help a lot during the bad streaks too.