PDA

View Full Version : A Few Beginner Questions

kitaristi0
07-03-2005, 02:46 PM
Keep in mind that i am a complete novice at playing Omaha/8. However, i do have some limit hold 'em experience under my belt.

1. What kind of bankroll should i have for tackling the $0.5/$1 limit Omaha/8 tables at Party?

2. How much should i buy in for?

3. Should i buy PT Omaha before i even start playing, or should i start playing first and then acquire PT Omaha some time in the near future?

4. Ray Zee's book for Stud Hi-Lo and Omaha Hi-Lo is for advanced players, but is it too advanced to be a first Omaha Hi-Lo book or should i go with sth like Cappaletti's book first?

5. Which starting hands should i be raising with preflop?

Thanks for the input.

MyTurn2Raise
07-03-2005, 02:58 PM
having just switched from hold'em to Omaha/8 myself, I can answer a few of these

1. $200 is more than enough, even for multi-tabling

2. the standard $25 is enough, but every once in awhile, you might need to rebuy for table image purposes

3.YES YES YES, buy pokertracker. After every 1,000 hands or so, look at your stats to find the leaks. Also, it really helps in judging good games to be in and how to handle certain opponents. For example, I found my W$SD (win money at showdown) percentage was low, meaning I was chasing too many non-nut draws.

4. Read both...Ray Zee puts everything you need for the low limits in about 30 pages--easily understood--I read this portion every other day or so. Capalleti will start you at ground zero and is marginally more helpful. I do like his blind defense scoring system. More importantly, visit Gregery's website, www.o8poker.com. (http://www.o8poker.com.) It contains simplified starting hand chart and very interesting math numbers that helped my game alot.

5. Don't know, I'm still very confused on this point. I feel like a wuss after my holdem background. Review past threads.

kitaristi0
07-03-2005, 04:12 PM
Thanks a lot. Yours answers were really helpful.

The preflop raising, or lack thereof, is definitely sth that i'm gonna have to get accustomed to.

jgunnip
07-03-2005, 06:35 PM
Is PT Omaha free if you already have PT for HE?

kitaristi0
07-03-2005, 06:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is PT Omaha free if you already have PT for HE?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but you get a discount. It costs $45 instead of $55.

Dealn Poker
07-05-2005, 02:15 AM
I'm also trying out Omaha/8, play on the free side until you get the handle on things. Make your mistakes for free first before comiting ANY real $. I'm learning the game so I can deal in a B&M. The house I deal in now is strictly Hold'em. I am digging the game and will enjoy taking home $ at that as well once I'm ready to commit.

jgunnip
07-05-2005, 02:22 PM
I think playing the $.5/$1 tables will be more beneficial to you than starting with the play money tables. Maybe playing play money for an hour or two may help, but throwing around fake money over an extended period of time isn't going to help you game.

kitaristi0
07-05-2005, 03:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think playing the $.5/$1 tables will be more beneficial to you than starting with the play money tables. Maybe playing play money for an hour or two may help, but throwing around fake money over an extended period of time isn't going to help you game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, I agree. The play money games are just ridiculous.