PDA

View Full Version : AJ in BB

AliasMrJones
07-03-2005, 12:36 PM
Villain was unknown at the time. I assumed the flop raise was flush draw as a set/2 pair will almost always wait for the turn to raise. Comments?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (6 SB) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, Button folds, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG folds, MP1 folds, MP3 calls.

Turn: (7 BB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls.

River: (9 BB) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls.

Final Pot: 11 BB

mr pink
07-03-2005, 12:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Comments?

[/ QUOTE ]

amazingly standard.

cassady
07-03-2005, 01:01 PM
I think your hand is good here. But two things to consider:

1). If you were so sure it was a free card play from a flush draw, why did you bet out when the draw hit on the river. Given your read (which I don't think was as strong as you think it was), a check-call on the river would be appropriate.

2). Given that not that many players at 2/4 make a free card play, I may have taken the line of calling the flop, check raising the turn, and folding to a three bet.

As a side note, I suspect you may have just discovered the power of the free card play yourself. When I first really got into making that move regularly, it worked so well I thought EVERYONE else must be doing it as well. All of a sudden I was reading every late position flop raise as an attempt to buy a free card.

mr pink
07-03-2005, 01:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1). If you were so sure it was a free card play from a flush draw, why did you bet out when the draw hit on the river. Given your read (which I don't think was as strong as you think it was), a check-call on the river would be appropriate.

[/ QUOTE ]

the flop raise is usually a weaker JAck.

cassady
07-03-2005, 01:09 PM
agreed.

AliasMrJones
07-03-2005, 01:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the flop raise is usually a weaker JAck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or a flopped straight.

jgorham
07-03-2005, 01:26 PM
I think you played this hand well postflop. Preflop, if you are against a bunch of loose limpers (which you want to be) then I would raise.

cassady
07-03-2005, 01:50 PM
Actually, this was my first instinct as well. I was curious enough about it I consulted the preflop guidelines from SSHE. Miller doesn't recommend a raise here. I can't quite make up my mind. I think there's a certain amount of value in keeping your hand hidden and checkraising a favourable flop......but those are the arguments S&amp;M make in HEPFAP for not raising AQ, which is an auto-raise for me.

Anyone care to discuss this?

Mike Gallo
07-03-2005, 01:51 PM
I like it.