PDA

View Full Version : Best glue for adhering leather to wood?

chesspain
07-03-2005, 10:17 AM
A couple of years ago, I purchased a beautiful ebony chess set on e-bay. Shortly after receiving it, I noticed that the leather bottoms on a couple of the pieces were not fully adhered. Since this seemed like a very minor problem, I didn't want to bother the seller (who was probably only a direct-shipper middleman, anyway).

I recently opened up the padded case containing the pieces, and noticed that no other bottoms are coming loose--meaning it probably isn't a problem with the adhesive itself--likely just sloppy application on these two pieces.

Nevertheless, I would like to repair the two, loose bottoms. So, what type/brand of glue would people recommened?

Mayhap
07-03-2005, 10:38 AM
I'd go with the classic kind of glue favored by the paper bag crowd. -- Seriously

rusellmj
07-03-2005, 01:02 PM
Go to the glue section at Wal-Mart. They'll have plenty of choices. I have experience using contact cement and Gorilla Glue™. Contact cement you put on both surfaces, let it dry, then stick together. Both will be permanent.

wacki
07-03-2005, 01:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Gorilla Glue™

[/ QUOTE ]

This stuff kicks ass. I use it to bond my caving batteries together. They've withstood all kinds of torture. Elmers has a cheaper version that is really good too.

Leo99
07-04-2005, 12:03 AM
Good strong glue but it's a bit ugly if you use too much. Use very little and it takes a long time to dry so it's not sticky anymore.

Ray Zee
07-04-2005, 12:39 AM
barge contact cement is the best but the others work as well. folow directions exactly to get good results.