PDA

View Full Version : Married to a "Monster" Early Game

MeanGreenTT
07-03-2005, 09:40 AM
I've been playing my "strong" hands MUCH stonger lately and it's paid off nicely but it's also bit me in the arse when I haven't been able to play post-flop well. In that spirit, hoping for some advice on playing into a "scary" board with your monster Thanks.

No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t10 (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP3 (t1000.00)
CO (t1000.00)
Button (t1000.00)
SB (t1000.00)
BB (t1000.00)
UTG (t1000.00)
Hero (t1000.00)
UTG+2 (t1000.00)
MP1 (t1000.00)
MP2 (t1000.00)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif. SB posts a blind of t10.
UTG calls t10, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t100</font>, UTG+2 calls t100, <font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, UTG calls t90.

Flop: (t315) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets t10</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t250</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises to t490</font>, UTG folds and it' back to me....

Thoughts all around? Thanks.

OrcaDK
07-03-2005, 09:50 AM
I'm pushing this, i think you'll see KQ and AQ quite often. I can hardly see a 7 call that preflop action, maybe QQ, but then so be it.

chisness
07-03-2005, 09:51 AM
i wouldn't fold this online at all, though online i admit it's most likely you're sickly beat

NYCNative
07-03-2005, 10:01 AM
What buy-in is this? If it's low, you might worry about a 7 and if it's high you might worry about a set of Queens but you push either way.

MeanGreenTT
07-03-2005, 10:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What buy-in is this? If it's low, you might worry about a 7 and if it's high you might worry about a set of Queens but you push either way.

[/ QUOTE ]

22, sorry and thanks.

11t
07-03-2005, 11:03 AM
Firstly, I dislike the 10xbb raise but thats just me.

I dump my stack back at him and if he has QQ or a 7 so be it.

NYCNative
07-03-2005, 11:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]I would dislike it in an 800 chip SNG. But he's got t1000 and he still managed to get two callers which is the most you really want. If he raised less he probably gets another caller or two and what happens then when people start going crazy after any flop you don't hit a set with?

MeanGreenTT
07-03-2005, 11:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the feedback, in this situation, what would you raise to, with a limper already in, thanks.

chisness
07-03-2005, 11:49 AM
50-60

Karak567
07-03-2005, 11:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
though online i admit it's most likely you're sickly beat

[/ QUOTE ]

If you think you are "sickly beat" here most of the time, why would you advocate pushing?

However, you are not "sickly beat" here most of the time. In fact I think you are winning here most of the time. So push all your chips in.

I don't care how deep the stacks are, I HATE the 10x BB raise.

Karak567
07-03-2005, 11:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the feedback, in this situation, what would you raise to, with a limper already in, thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

In a deep stacked game like this... 4x or 5 x BB would be good.

kyro
07-03-2005, 12:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you think you are "sickly beat" here most of the time, why would you advocate pushing?

However, you are not "sickly beat" here most of the time. In fact I think you are winning here most of the time. So push all your chips in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Two people called him. I really like it.

Karak567
07-03-2005, 12:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think people will fold more often than they will call.

If you want to be results oriented to this ONE hand, sure, it's ok.

But this won't happen every single time.

kyro
07-03-2005, 12:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think people will fold more often than they will call.

If you want to be results oriented to this ONE hand, sure, it's ok.

But this won't happen every single time.

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe it wasn't results oriented this one time

Karak567
07-03-2005, 12:35 PM
So you really think when the BB is 1/100th of your stack you should open raise to 10 x BB?

kyro
07-03-2005, 12:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So you really think when the BB is 1/100th of your stack you should open raise to 10 x BB?

[/ QUOTE ]

how would you play it at a play money table? I'd push all in because i'm pretty sure someone's calling me.

MeanGreenTT
07-03-2005, 12:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In a deep stacked game like this... 4x or 5 x BB would be good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, appreciate it.

Karak567
07-03-2005, 12:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

how would you play it at a play money table? I'd push all in because i'm pretty sure someone's calling me.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't a play money table... at least I don't think it is. No buy-in was specified.

kyro
07-03-2005, 12:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't a play money table... at least I don't think it is. No buy-in was specified.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's the concept. If he knows these tables to be incredibly loose PF, then the raise is fine because he can expect people to call. We don't know this, so I think it's a little rash to say "I hate the PF raise". (Notice this isn't PP or PS)

Bigwig
07-03-2005, 01:00 PM
I probably just push all-in right here. If I had the As I'd call and push any card on the turn.

Karak567
07-03-2005, 01:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's the concept. If he knows these tables to be incredibly loose PF, then the raise is fine because he can expect people to call. We don't know this, so I think it's a little rash to say "I hate the PF raise". (Notice this isn't PP or PS)

[/ QUOTE ]

This early in a game we have to assume no SOLID reads, though. In general theory, I still think it is bad.

cha59
07-03-2005, 01:31 PM
[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the 10x raise here because when a flop like this hits, I think you are much less likely to be up against a hand like 78 sooted when some donk calls you "because its cheap" if you had raised to 40 or 50.

Also when you do get a caller or two, the pot is much bigger with the 10x raise.

Also, I agree with the other replies that say push UTG+2's raise.

Karak567
07-03-2005, 01:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the 10x raise here because when a flop like this hits, I think you are much less likely to be up against a hand like 78 sooted when some donk calls you "because its cheap" if you had raised to 40 or 50.

Also when you do get a caller or two, the pot is much bigger with the 10x raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd love for someone to call my pre-flop raise when I have AA with 78.

kyro
07-03-2005, 01:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This early in a game we have to assume no SOLID reads, though. In general theory, I still think it is bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are you assuming this. Maybe hero has played in a couple of these tournaments before and they are all incredibly loose. I go back the play money example. You've never played against any of these guys but you are pretty sure they'd call an open push, first hand of the game. I realize I'm being incredibly picky, but I just think we need to be careful not to make huge generalizations like this all the time.

But yes, normally raising to t100 would be bad /images/graemlins/wink.gif

kyro
07-03-2005, 01:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd love for someone to call my pre-flop raise when I have AA with 78.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are right here. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

NYCNative
07-03-2005, 02:09 PM
My "standard" raise in level one of the UB SNGs is to t80. WHy? Because I have found that anything less is completely ignored by a majority of the players there and anything more is a chip bleed. That said, I start with 1,500 chips so it's not a huge percentage of my stack but if I found that I needed to raise to t120 to make my point, I'd have to do it or find another game that I was more comfortable with. Maybe t100 is that level for this player in his games, I dunno...

MeanGreenTT
07-03-2005, 02:31 PM
This was a $20+2 (real money) at Paradise...I feel like a lowly schmuck 'cause I'm a lowly single-tabler and not in the "big pond" with everyone else right now at Party, etc

Right now, it fits within my short term goals and although I only have 150 tracked games so far at that level, it's spread out over 2 weeks, so I feel I've got a little better indication of play so far....

Again, I appreciate all the feedback!

MeanGreenTT
07-03-2005, 09:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My "standard" raise in level one of the UB SNGs is to t80. WHy? Because I have found that anything less is completely ignored by a majority of the players there and anything more is a chip bleed. That said, I start with 1,500 chips so it's not a huge percentage of my stack but if I found that I needed to raise to t120 to make my point, I'd have to do it or find another game that I was more comfortable with.

[/ QUOTE ]

Appreciate the insight, thanks!