PDA

View Full Version : Set with 77.

Scorpion
07-03-2005, 08:38 AM
Great 1/2 game at Foxwoods. I am on the button with 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif /images/graemlins/club.gif 7, raise from MP1 to 15, 3 callers I call as well as 1 other. Flop comes Q 7 2 rainbow. Check, raiser bets 20 1 caller, I smooth call. Turn is an 8 I lead out for $70. Anyone do different?

jkkkk
07-03-2005, 08:51 AM
Drawless board... yea I guess slowplaying on the flop is ok for extracting some value from weak hands, if checked round on the turn I'm definitely betting at least half pot, so $70 is ok.

Only problem here is your not extracting maximum value from hands like AQ by calling on the flop.

amoeba
07-03-2005, 09:12 AM
I assume they checked to you on the turn?

Scorpion
07-03-2005, 09:18 AM
Yes it was checked around.

amoeba
07-03-2005, 09:37 AM
I assume they both folded on the turn?

I think this line is one I'm more likely to take when I am out of position.

Here is my reasoning.

On the flop, it is fairly drawless so I'm not worried about being out drawn. If I lead out, preflop raiser might fold his AJ, AK but if I check he might continuation bet. If I check raise his bet, it seems too obvious like a big hand since it is a drawless board so unlikely for me to be semibluffing.

on this hand I think this line is also fine although I'll occsasionally raise on the flop just to mix it up (10%).

Scorpion
07-03-2005, 09:50 AM
Yes everyone folded the turn. The small $20 bet on the flop made me think if I were to raise I would fold everyone out. I was trying to let people catch up on the turn, But no one got there. I know I can't give a free card to the river and if anyone had a hand they could call the half pot bet.

amoeba
07-03-2005, 09:53 AM
yeah, can't help it if they have nothing.

BZ_Zorro
07-03-2005, 10:04 AM
I see a lot of posts lately where people bet a certain amount on the flop, everyone calls, then bet 3 or 4 times more on the turn/river, and everyone folds.

Each time it's only a pot or 1/2 pot bet, but a lot of players think in terms of absolute value and see only the amount you're putting in. $20 means ok hand, $70 means huge hand in most average players' mind.

Just a thought.

jkkkk
07-03-2005, 01:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I see a lot of posts lately where people bet a certain amount on the flop, everyone calls, then bet 3 or 4 times more on the turn/river, and everyone folds.

Each time it's only a pot or 1/2 pot bet, but a lot of players think in terms of absolute value and see only the amount you're putting in. $20 means ok hand, $70 means huge hand in most average players' mind.

Just a thought.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is true, a fair amount of novices won't see a pot or half pot bet for what it is, they can only assume you have a monster when they see you betting the pot on the turn or river.

swolfe
07-03-2005, 01:14 PM
i like a raise on the flop and here's why:

the preflop raiser who bet the flop may not have anything, but the smooth-caller has to have some sort of made hand. there's about $90 in the middle, $20 bet plus $20 call. i'd pop it up to $100...

the trick is to have an image that you'd also do this with a holding as weak as QJ or something.