PDA

View Full Version : GSIH: Bankroll implications for short-stack NL play

vulturesrow
07-03-2005, 04:06 AM
I was thinking about this tonight and wanted to pose it to you guys, because I am sure I am missing something. I am currently playing NL in the 25NL tables at Party, using the short stack strategy as laid out in GSIH. Now I believe the prevailing view is that the appropriate bankroll for these games is something on the order of 10-15 buyins. If you are playing only with min buyins, doesnt this effectively raise the stakes of the game you are bankrolled for? So theoretically if I have say a 300 dollar bankroll, I could safely play in a game with a 20 dollar min buyin? It would seem so or at the very least, equip you for taking shots at higher games. What am I missing in my thinking here?

Rudbaeck
07-03-2005, 07:56 AM
Your win rate is significantly lower. Use BruceZ's formula (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=207170&page=&view=&sb =5&o=&vc=1) to figure out your appropriate sized roll.

For me it came out to about 700 big blinds, using my stats from ~10k hands.

nomdeplume
07-03-2005, 02:26 PM
Thanks for the link to BruceZ's formula. FWIW mine comes out at 549 BBs with a 1% risk of ruin (although my sample size is nowhere near large enough yet). However, it's smaller than I anticipated and I'm sorely tempted to have a crack at a higher limit.

Rudbaeck
07-03-2005, 04:14 PM
For just taking a crack at a limit, or moving up rapidly, yuou should use Kelly betting. Luckily there is an article on the topic in the latest 2+2 magazine.

nomdeplume
07-03-2005, 05:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For just taking a crack at a limit, or moving up rapidly, yuou should use Kelly betting. Luckily there is an article on the topic in the latest 2+2 magazine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, I'll take a look at that.

mosquito
07-04-2005, 01:30 AM
FWIW I have been fooling around with the system as well.
I've noticed runs of -7 buyins as the worst so far, but
am doing quite well with the system.

Strange thing is that most of your cashout wins are smaller
than 2X buyins, but the wins are much more frequent than
the bustouts.