PDA

View Full Version : MORE NL Holdem Advice Needed!!!

PokerProdigy
07-03-2005, 02:53 AM
I play the $10+1 single table sit and gos at party poker. Lately I have done alright making it into the money (top 3 spots) but I haven't been making alot of money (so my ROI seems lower than it should be).

My question is how do you guys handle it when it gets down to exactly 3 players. I need to improve my strategy when it's down to the final 3. Feel free to give personal advice, book recommendations, article recommendations, forum recommendations, etc... Basically, whatever you think will allow me to optimize my ROI (Return On Investment for those who didn't know /images/graemlins/smirk.gif).

brimstone1
07-03-2005, 04:28 AM
The single advice I like the best is "gamble for 1st, settle for 3rd, don't play for 2nd place."

I'm not sure if I implement it completely, but I think its a good way of looking at ITM play.

Bluff Daddy
07-03-2005, 04:32 AM
with little info your prob not playing aggressive enough around the bubble and getting into the money a little more often with less chips

cha59
07-03-2005, 12:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The single advice I like the best is "gamble for 1st, settle for 3rd, don't play for 2nd place."

I'm not sure if I implement it completely, but I think its a good way of looking at ITM play.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is good advice. Another big thing is to play a lot and get yourself into ITM situations as much as possible. There is no substitute for experience.

jkl
07-03-2005, 12:12 PM
There is no better literature out there than HOH-II

MegaBet
07-03-2005, 12:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
(so my ROI seems lower than it should be)

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't everyone think this? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

valenzuela
07-03-2005, 01:12 PM
mmmm...if you want, you can send me a hand history to valenzuelaalvaro@gmail.com, Im playing the best poker of my life this week, after I decided to singletable the 11s. Im clearly not the best player here but Im getting sharper on my bubble play and I believe I can help you, and you can help me because I believe that "teaching" exposes your own weaknesses, because maybe you can teach me something new.

Blarg
07-03-2005, 02:46 PM
Yeah, this is very good advice.

It's the playing for first that gets good players so many 6ths. They aggressively try to accumulate enough strength that they have some power if they make it to the money. So their chances of either having a lot of chips or being bounced out on their asses is very good. Chances for 2nd and 3rd drop accordingly. It's very easy to play a cautious game that gets you a lot of third, but you can get an incredible ITM figure and still be losing money, so the aggressive shooting for first is worth it. One first is worth 2 1/2 thirds.

valenzuela
07-03-2005, 05:09 PM
this the boost of the year for me since first is my most frequent number and then comes sixth on second place...yupi!