PDA

View Full Version : What do you call a raise with? (BB)

pshaw019
07-02-2005, 12:19 PM
Assume a 9 handed table with blinds 400/800 with 50 ante for a pre flop pot of 1650 and you have 15000.

It is a 50+5 online MTT tournament, and the raiser has not been overly aggressive or overly conservative. The avg stack is 15000. There were 1000 entrants and there are now 200 left and 99 get paid. The raiser is 2 off the button and also has a stack of 1500.

The raiser raises to 2400, and you are in the BB of 800, costing you 1600 to call. It is folded to you. Incase your not good at math the pot is 4050 and it costs you 1600 to call, giving you roughly 2.5-1 pot odds. These are great pot odds but i see a fold more often than a call here. What is the correct play?

What hands do you call or raise here with?

Danny H.
07-02-2005, 01:17 PM
I think you meant the raiser has 15k in chips because he got more chips if he raised 2400. Anyways I call with just about any two cards b/c unless its overpocket pair then I'm getting good pot odds. I raise with almost any ace with a kicker 8 and over or any pocket pairs 8s above. Other pocket pairs, I call and try to catch a set.

pshaw019
07-02-2005, 03:46 PM
Yes i meant 15000, my mistake.

If it is correct to call with any 2 cards here, then why would a 3x raise ever steal the blind against someone who knows and plays this way?

Thanks,

kuro
07-02-2005, 04:35 PM
I don't like calling with any two here. You're out of position and you're likely facing a continuation bet on any flop. You end up spewing off chips trying to determine if your tpnk or mpgk is good.

So I pretty much call the same kind of hands that I wouldn't mind limping with behind a limper or completing with from the small blind against a button limper.

You also have to keep in mind that sometimes small raises are big hands looking for action so don't get so gung ho about coming over top of the guy with A8o. So I typically only raise the same kind of hands that I'd be comfortable raising over a guy that limps in front of me.

schwza
07-02-2005, 04:50 PM
as a very rough guide, i'd need something like AT+ / 77+ to play.

pshaw019
07-02-2005, 05:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

To raise with im assuming? What are some rough guidelines for calling?

I find myself calling a lot with slop like Q8 because of the pot odds, but it only seems profitable when you can find a player who doesnt call continuation bets.

pshaw019
07-02-2005, 05:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Looking back now i see you may be saying to even call with. Are you saying you wouldnt play something like JT or K8 suited here?

Although i realize this isnt the only factor as it is a tournament, strictly mathmatically speaking, you only need to win the pot 2 of every 7 times to break even here, right?

schwza
07-02-2005, 07:39 PM
yeah, i was talking about to play at all. i'm fairly sure others will be looser than me, as i'm a gigantic pussy about defending my blind.

schwza
07-02-2005, 07:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Although i realize this isnt the only factor as it is a tournament, strictly mathmatically speaking, you only need to win the pot 2 of every 7 times to break even here, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

if this were an all-in bet, then yes, that would be true. the problem is that if you call this raise, there will be a pot of 4950 and you'll each have about 12.5k behind. you're at a very serious disadvantage if you have a marginal hand. you're going to be playing out of position against a guy who could have a very big hand, so i at least want a pretty good one. the "i don't want to go broke cause it's a tournament" issue is valid, but it's not the main reason that i'm going to play quite tight in this spot.

against someone i think is aggro, i play a lot more hands, most for a reraise all-in.