PDA

View Full Version : Horse raise concept - modify for chronic limpers?

lstream
07-02-2005, 12:10 PM
The chapter in SCSFAP beginning on page 141 has been coming up a lot for me, and I think I am in violation of what it says many times. I want to explain my thinking on why I am doing this and hopefully get some good feedback.

Here is an example - I am third to act and have a pair of live jacks, but not a great kicker. There is an ace and a queen yet to act. Often there is say an ace and two queens yet to act.

At the 5/10 tables I find that many people limp-in if they have nothing else besides the broadway door card. At the same time, many of these players are overly passive (at least in my opinion). In these situations I often complete hoping to drive all or some of these players off the hand.

Now from what I can tell of the book's advice, I should NOT be completing with these mediocre hands. I should be putting in as little money as possible and perhaps raising on fourth if one of the overcards bets into me. Keeping the pot small on third should help thin the field better on fourth.

The problem I see with this in a table full of passive limpers is that if I let them limp on third and any of them catches even a baby pair with their door card, then I can't seem to get rid of them, and my jacks are really vulnerable. On the other hand, these same guys seem to give up easily on third if I complete on them.

Now if I try the completion, and one of the overcards actually has something, these same guys will often just call, and I end up thinking I am ahead and I'm not.

So you can likely see that my thinking is perhaps muddied up here. Should I just do exactly what 7CSFAP says, or does it make sense to be violating the "rules" in these circumstances?

BeerMoney
07-02-2005, 12:44 PM
Stream, I often fold if there are two cards higher than my pair left to act. Now, if these bozos are gonna slow play their big pair, go ahead and limp. Don't build their pot.

When I limp with a hand on third, I am now in tight passive mode. I am often folding what on fourth what I think may even be the best hand.. Once that pot is raised though, I do my best to knock people out, and play on the offensive. So, if you limp with a decent pair, and your opponent pairs their doorcard, be done with it. There's nothing in the pot to fight over.

Roland
07-02-2005, 02:31 PM
Stream,

The situation you’re talking about has little to do with the horse race concept, I think.

In your example, there are two over cards to your jacks behind you. So most of the time you should actually now fold (this has been discussed before).
The horse race concept, though, is more applicable to situations where you are pretty sure you have the best hand on 3rd street and have to decide how to play it. For instance, with those same jacks and three limpers already in but NO over cards behind you, it might be best to just call if your hand is deadish etc.

lstream
07-02-2005, 02:41 PM
Can't believe I said horse "raise". Jesus

lstream
07-02-2005, 02:58 PM
OK, lets ignore the title and the horse race label. This is just basic big pair play that I appear to be going my own way on - sheesh. Some day I would like to have a tool that tracks winnings according to class of hand and how you play it. My feeling is that I am signficantly ahead with this play with certain tables and opponents. I stay away from it with certain players, thats for sure. Off I go now to do some more horse raising.

kylma
07-02-2005, 03:08 PM
Ok I was playing pot limit.. Had the bring in with some crap and a jack.. A jack comes on 4th, I got to see it for free. One guy with Ax showing puts in a tiny bet.. I think this is one of those ace-any-limpers, and raise pot sized.. he just calls it. On 5th I bet about 2/3 of the pot, and he got a queen.. He calls, and then I of course give it up but it gets checked down till the showdown.

He had AQA and made 2 pair on 5th. I was the aggressor with a pair of jacks, though. Maybe I don't understand this game yet, or he's a real locksmith ..

Any contribution in this story? Probably not.. It just seems that making notes about passiveness/aggressiveness of the players seems very important, more so than looseness/tightness aspect.