PDA

View Full Version : Do I Have Enough Info To Go Pro

Good Idea
07-02-2005, 10:55 AM
Last December 17th I decided to take poker seriously and keep records of my results. I started with $200.00 and played 2/4 limit as well as MTTs. Here is the situation as of July 1st.
Hours played 460.66
Win rate $13.99 per hour per table (usually 2 tables)
MTTs - 154 played with net wins of $1,159.46.

The plan is to get a new computer w/ 4 monitors. I believe I could play 4 tables if I could see them all. I'm estimating that my win rate would drop to $10.00 per hour per table (Just to be safe) which would still be $40.00 per hour. I would also get pokertracker.
I've pretty much stopped playing tourneys because there is more profit in ring games.
The question is, do I have enough information to make the leap to pro? I've heard people say you need 100,000 hands but with the amount I play that would be two and a half years from now.
By the way, I'm planning to buy the new computer and play 4 tables for a couple of months just to make sure I can handle it without stressing out before I quit my job.
I'll also need time to work on a sales pitch for my wife.

Any thoughts?
Thanks,
G.I.

Dariel86
07-02-2005, 10:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Do I Have Enough Info To Go Pro

[/ QUOTE ]

If you need to ask, then probably no. Try searching for similar posts to this, they will be helpfull for sure.

Baulucky
07-02-2005, 10:59 AM
Move INMEDIATELY to the 30-60 tables. Do not throw away money in extra monitors. Leave that for later.

Edginator
07-02-2005, 11:02 AM
Four tables on four monitors?

When I saw it on TILT I didn't think that it could exist in real life.

archmagi
07-02-2005, 11:03 AM
why get 4 monitors? you can easily see 4 tables at the same time even on a 19 inch with 1600x1200 resolution.
get PT, don't rush into going pro or quitting your job.

pudley4
07-02-2005, 11:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Last December 17th I decided to take poker seriously and keep records of my results. I started with $200.00 and played 2/4 limit as well as MTTs. Here is the situation as of July 1st.
Hours played 460.66
Win rate $13.99 per hour per table (usually 2 tables)
MTTs - 154 played with net wins of $1,159.46.

The plan is to get a new computer w/ 4 monitors. I believe I could play 4 tables if I could see them all. I'm estimating that my win rate would drop to $10.00 per hour per table (Just to be safe) which would still be $40.00 per hour. I would also get pokertracker.
I've pretty much stopped playing tourneys because there is more profit in ring games.
The question is, do I have enough information to make the leap to pro? I've heard people say you need 100,000 hands but with the amount I play that would be two and a half years from now.
By the way, I'm planning to buy the new computer and play 4 tables for a couple of months just to make sure I can handle it without stressing out before I quit my job.
I'll also need time to work on a sales pitch for my wife.

Any thoughts?
Thanks,
G.I.

[/ QUOTE ]

You will not be able to keep up your win rate (~$14/table hour = almost 6 BB/100 hands.) Even $10/table hour is very high (over 4BB/100 hands). A more realisic expectation is 2BB/100 hands. Playing 4 tables you'll get about 250 hands/hour, so you'd make about $20/hour. Still want to go pro?

EStreet20
07-02-2005, 11:26 AM
Good luck,
First a tip. You don't need four monitors to play four tables, despite what the shaky guy on tilt did. Buy a Dell 2001FP or any monitor that supports 1600x1200 res. All four tables fit right on there without overlap.

Second some advice, if this is a serious post, which I can't tell then no with those numbers you gave you don't have nearly enough info to know whether or not you can make a living but I'll tell you right now your current hourly rate is not sustainable. Read the above post someone made about the factt hat your true hourly rate will probably be no more than 20/hr. Then you have to worry about health insurance etc. In sum, you may be good enough but right now you're definitely not ready at the limits you play.

Take care,
Matt

Jurollo
07-02-2005, 11:39 AM
This is a funny troll account.
~Justin

grinin
07-02-2005, 12:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is a funny troll account

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

If not, the answer to your question is Yes if you think a night on the town is catching the $4 twilight movie and afterwards getting supersized at McDonalds. Oh, wait a minute, you would have to go dutch. I hope your wife has a good job.

iluzion
07-02-2005, 12:46 PM
Rofl. I hope this is a troll as well, if not, definitly it's a definite no. You started playing $2/4 with 100 bets, bad idea. You don't even own PT yet. Don't quit McDonalds yet.

punter11235
07-02-2005, 12:54 PM
Hello,

I think you are not ready to go pro yet. Realize that you made 1.1k in 6months thats not enough for living.
You didnt play many hands every day and you dont know how well you can handle that. You didnt multitable too and multitabling is hard and you should be sure that you can do it without mindslips here and there.
ALso 2/4 is too low stakes to go pro. If you quit your job you have to be sure that new source if income will be there for a long time. If you choose poker you actually need good skill to have such a confidence, beating 2/4 games is not enough.

Best wishes

Uglyowl
07-02-2005, 01:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Realize that you made 1.1k in 6months thats not enough for living.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's made about $6,444 from ring games also. That is besides the point though.

Definately a troll account. If not I feel bad.

prana
07-02-2005, 01:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

played 20,000+ hands last month not including all the sng's and mtts. You definitely need to be ready to play more hands if 100,000 seems huge.

mattw
07-02-2005, 03:23 PM
This is so typical of the zoo. A new guy comes on board, bearing his soul, and everyone wants to berate, belittle, flame. Examine why you guys do this. Is it an ego thing? Great, I like players with egos.

ds914
07-02-2005, 03:46 PM
Hey G.I.:

I'd recommend spending one month playing 20 hours a week while logging all of your play into PokerTracker. That'll give you a decent amount of hands to judge your results, get used to using Poker Tracker, and best of all, it will help you determine if you really have the stamina and desire to play full-time (not to mention you don't have to quit your full-time job).

You'll learn a lot from doing this.

Good luck.

Good Idea
07-02-2005, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the help everybody. What I gathered around all the sarcasm was that my current win rate is not sustainable and 4 monitors aren't necessary. Guess I'll keep my job.

P.s. What's a troll account?

MicroBob
07-02-2005, 04:36 PM
if you thibk you need 4 monitors then you definitely do not have enough info to go pro.

you also don't have enough hands to determine if you're a winning player by the looks of things.

you don't even have any experience multi-tabling yet evidently.

step 1 - determine that you are a winning player while multi-tabling

step 2 - if win-rate while you are multi-tabling is adequate THEN consider going pro.

you should not do these steps in the reverse order (decide you are going pro....THEN try to figure out if yu are a winning player on multi-tables).

o0mr_bill0o
07-02-2005, 04:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Examine why you guys do this. Is it an ego thing? Great, I like players with egos.

[/ QUOTE ]

welcome to the internet.

smb394
07-02-2005, 04:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is so typical of the zoo. A new guy comes on board, bearing his soul, and everyone wants to berate, belittle, flame. Examine why you guys do this. Is it an ego thing? Great, I like players with egos.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this is the case. Not so much in this thread, but in others, you get OPs asking questions that are asked several times a day and are easily answerable by a search or by more lurking. That is what gets annoying.

Guthrie
07-02-2005, 05:09 PM
Wait 2-1/2 years or 100,000 hands, whichever comes first.

grinin
07-02-2005, 05:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is so typical of the zoo. A new guy comes on board, bearing his soul, and everyone wants to berate, belittle, flame. Examine why you guys do this. Is it an ego thing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you kidding? IF (and I think it's a big IF). If this guy is not a troll, then it behooves us to point out to him how utterly crazy he would be to make the assumptions he is making based on the information given. Now, it would be rude to simply say "You must be crazy as a loon" or "Don't be a Moran" to a newbie. So it is more acceptable to couch our concerns for the OP's wellbeing in a far more humorous manner.

Now anyone who can not "read between the lines" and take this helpful criticism with a grain of salt, may just be strung a little too tight.