PDA

View Full Version : First 230 109s 8-tabling

Messy_Jesse
07-02-2005, 02:50 AM
After moving up from the 50s after approximately 2k 55s at 17% ROI, I decided to jump up to the 109s. I started out 8-tabling them, as I had been doing the 55s. After 230, I'm at a measly 2.9% ROI. Some thoughts on the 109s:

- Play is much more solid- not great, but solid.
- There are some very good players that you wont find at the 55s that can definitely reduce your edge.
- Play is a little tighter, with many fewer complete donks.
- The swings can be baaaad.... I was up $2500 afeter 125 games, and following a 20 OOTM streak (aaaarrrgggg), I've just begun to rebuild.
- Heads up play is much more difficult, IMO- I went from having 15% 1sts to only 9.6% 1sts in my jump. Granted, my sample size is small, but I have definitely had a tough time HU (IMO, im really not a bad heads up player)
- I have definitely seen a difference between play at different times of day. The 109s seem very difficult during the daytime and in the early morning, while at night they seem much more beatable. ( Mr ROI during the afternoon is -35% and during the early morning -17%, while during dinner it is 30% and in the evening it is 7.6%).

Some things I need to work on:

1. Overagression near the bubble.
2. A little bit of fancy play syndrome, especially early.
3. Staying away from trouble with the bigstack: I've had a couple of heartbreaking beats (some bad, some legit.) with the bigstack on the bubble or ITM with microstacks. i.e. I would push into another bigstack with junk on the bubble when I had him covered, only to find him calling with decent hands and taking me out.
4. Another thing is that as the bigstack, I often let people back in with over-ambitious attempts to control the table or steal blinds. I need to recognize those situations when marginally EV+ pushes might not be the best choice.

Anyways, when I moved up, I decided that I would allow myself to drop $2k in my attempt at the 109s before down. Hopefully, and probably, that won't happen.

-Jess

Newt_Buggs
07-02-2005, 04:58 AM
Interesting, thanks for the update. The $100s are going to be getting crowded soon /images/graemlins/mad.gif

have you been 8 tabeling the $100s?

chisness
07-02-2005, 07:16 AM
this confirms it, i will NEVER play the 100s

Phil Van Sexton
07-02-2005, 10:16 AM
I have to agree with most of that, too. I moved up about 6 weeks ago, though I haven't been playing very much.

The only thing that I would disagree with is the difference in heads up play. I really haven't noticed much difference, but my sample is tiny like yours so its hard to say.

I definately agree with more "solid" players. That's exactly the word I'd use. You don't often see the kind of aggressive or imaginative post flop play that you might expect at 215+. At 109, the players usually bet/call for good reasons. This makes them more predictable than 55s and below, but exploiting this is no small feat.

Hopefully, I have more time to play this month, and I'll have something more useful to add on the subject.

Good luck.

tech
07-02-2005, 10:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The $100s are already crowded

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP. I recognize over half the table at most 109s I play, whereas I would often play 55s where I didn't recognize anybody.

dmmikkel
07-02-2005, 11:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The $100s are already crowded

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP. I recognize over half the table at most 109s I play, whereas I would often play 55s where I didn't recognize anybody.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true, but my thoughts on the 109s are that there are alot of people gambling and the pros are not even THAT good.

Messy_Jesse
07-02-2005, 12:26 PM
Yes, I'm 8 tabling the 109s

DonButtons
07-02-2005, 04:41 PM
$109s are tuff, but easier short handed then the $215s. I see a ton of regulars that are just bad, play bad early and missing pushes late in the game, and missing obvious pushes on the blinds and so on.

Playing heads up on the blinds is what im working on right now, because a simple ABC approach is not that profitable.

230 sngs is hardly a sample size, heck, in 30 sngs yesterday I was down 20 buyins, some days just dont go well, and for me, It's almost a couple weeks of stuff not going my way.

But I disagree on your opinion on heads up play, I think its very easy, and one of the first things I noticed in the 109s that was a weak spot for most.

Roman
07-02-2005, 05:01 PM
I just moved to party a week ago or so and am trying the 109s too. I still dont know whos who which is prolly hurting my win, but the games seem beatable. Some people are too fancy around the bubble, some way too tight. You just gotta find who to lean on I think. In the early stages, most of the play is pretty solid but a little loose.