PDA

View Full Version : Mirage $6-$12: Flopping a Flush, but getting CR on the River

balt999
02-05-2003, 01:13 PM
Here's a hand I played at the Mirage around 5 months ago...It's late night in the beautiful city of Vegas....After clubbing at the Rio and Studio 54, I decided to try and kill my buzz by playing a little $6-$12.

It's a very tight-aggressive table....7 Handed.......It's folded around to me on the button....I have 10 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif 9 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif and raise...only the BB calls...I believed the BB was a young Asian Kid, who was probably a regular since most of the dealers knew who he was...He seems rather aggressive and bluffed at a lot pots...on the other hand, he seems to make intellegent laydowns...so he knew when to switch gears...

The flop comes A /forums/images/icons/spade.gif 3 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif 7 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif

Checked to me....I bet (No sense on getting fancy here) BB Calls....at this point, I put him on a suited Ace probably with a garbage kicker...

....turn is 8 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif ....BB checks.....I bet.....BB calls.

River is a A /forums/images/icons/heart.gif ......BB checks.....I bet....BB now comes alive and Check-raises!!!

Hmmm....what's the best course of action....should I re-raise or just call??

Tyler Durden
02-05-2003, 01:30 PM
There's nothing to suggest that he's got you beat. He may have just rivered trips. I'd 3-bet the river. You'll win this hand often enough to make money in the long run by 3-betting in this spot. There's almost no way he could have rivered a boat here. If he caught two pair on the flop, he would not have check-called both the flop and turn.

I don't think it's a tough decision either.

BonJoviJones
02-07-2003, 06:10 PM
I'd be very uncomfortable with my holding then. The flush is clearly on the mind of your opponent, and he seems content to call down.

There are a few possibilites:

1) He doesn't believe you have the flush.

2) He has a higher flush, and is slowplaying

3) Your read of A-rag is good, but the rag is on the board, filling him up.

4) He had a pocket pair, flopped a set, and filled the river.

Only one of those things really helps you, but the other three all make sense given the play.

Don't reraise, but I think there is a good change you are beat.

Ed Miller
02-07-2003, 06:26 PM
Your opponent sounds like a pretty good player from your description (maybe a little overagressive). Thus, he should know full well that if he has an Ace, that the river Ace doesn't really improve his hand (unless he's filled up or has AA). Thus, he's doing one of two things... bluffing or slowplaying. He could have been slowplaying a hand like a big Ace, but he probably would have reraised you preflop with such a holding.

Your hand loses to a lot (if not most) hands that someone would slowplay here. Furthermore, you risk two bets to win one when you reraise the river here. A 3-bet does no good against an opponent trying to push you off a better hand. I think you should just call.

Rick Diesel
02-07-2003, 06:35 PM
I would call and hope that he had trips. Any other hand that he has probably has you beat. My guess is that he had a higher flush on the flop and is slowplaying it. Any high ace, two pair, or set and he would almost have to bet or raise on the flop due to the scary board. Any smaller flush he would definitely have to bet to keep from a situation where a fourth spade comes. Again, I would just call but expect to lose.

Rick Diesel

Gamblor07
02-07-2003, 06:47 PM
I would just call. He may not believe that you have the flush and caught another ace on the river for trips. But what happens if he did fill up and you re-raise and he comes right back over the top of you? I would just call and hope that he just has trips.

balt999
02-07-2003, 07:17 PM
I didn't believe he had a boat, because there would have been a check-raise somewhere before the river with his two pair before the board paired. So I believed I still had the best hand...the only hand I was really worried about was a higher flush, but with it being heads up, I thought the chances were slim....

So I decided to 3 bet the river...BB just calls, and says "I don't have a flush" and shows A6off...and I take it down with my flush.. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Thanks for all the responses....