PDA

View Full Version : I Just Got Ticketed.

-Skeme-
07-02-2005, 12:20 AM
For [censored] jaywalking. I was in some Stars MTT and ran across the street to the store during the second break. On the way back I was in the middle of the road, in the big island seperator thing they have, waiting for a spot to jet across. There was a taxi waiting a little ways back behind me and a van driving ahead of it, behind that there was maybe 20 car lengths between the next row of vehicles.. I could've slowly trotted across with no problem. I run behind the van after making sure the taxi wouldn't hit me, and get across easily..

Then this stupid dick cop yells at me, turns his lights on and gives me the runaround. He gets my information, which I give him without a problem. He asks for an ID, I explain that I don't have one. He asks for my SS, I explain that I don't know it. He bitches at me and acts like I'm lying, complaining and threatening to put me in the back of his squad car for obstruction.

"How am I obstructing? I'm not stopping you from doing your job, lying to you or causing any problem at all. I've been completely honest with you and am trying to help you."

I couldn't hear what he said next due to traffic, but I'm sure it was like, "I'm a stupid douche who doesn't know WTF obstruction is. Whatever obstruction is, you are defenitely not doing it."

Anyway, another cop pulls up. Acts like an even bigger dick to me, and tells me I'm lucky to be 17.

"Why? Then you guys can hurt me?" He replies, "Well you'd be down in the man jail." I reply, "Heh, would they soften me up in there? Have me running around with a wig and calling me Shirley?"

Blah blah, more bullshit about how I have an attitude. I was annoyed, but I get annoyed when I'm stopped and ticketed for bullshit. There is no crosswalk within 15 minutes of walking. I was indeed jaywalking I guess, but in the meantime these two earwigs managed to park illegally, make unsafe and illegal maneuvers in their squad cars AND block a metro bus lane. NH, dicks.

Anyway, $43. I wish I would've known it was only $43 so I coulda said something cool like, "Give me my ticket, ahole, I've got things to do." But then he'd probably give me another ticket for obstruction or disturbing the peace or some bullshit.

Whatever.

istewart
07-02-2005, 12:22 AM
How'd the tournament go? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Skeme-
07-02-2005, 12:23 AM
Built my stack up well, got it all in with AJs Vs. A4s Vs. KTs. KTs flopped the nuts and I'm gone for a big pot. Ironically, I finished in the money for $44.82. Hilarity. The jerkass with KTs is the chip leader by over 100K now. Excellent.

That's too much poker content. Blehhh.

sublime
07-02-2005, 12:27 AM
im glad you gave then the attitude you did, most people cower and let the cops treat them like some bitch.

-Skeme-
07-02-2005, 12:28 AM
GOTTA SHOW THEM WHOS BOSS.

AZK
07-02-2005, 12:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
. Ironically, I finished in the money for $44.82.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is hysterical and should have been included in the original post.

GuyOnTilt
07-02-2005, 12:41 AM
How do you not know your SSN? Seriously, memorize it.

GoT

-Skeme-
07-02-2005, 12:42 AM
Yeah, didn't bust til shortly after I was done typing the original.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never really had to use it. I applied for a bunch of jobs once like 3 years ago and had it memorized then, but have since forgotten it.

stabn
07-02-2005, 01:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

It is not information they need anyway.

-Skeme-
07-02-2005, 01:38 AM
No kidding. I've never heard of them asking for this information before.

whiskeytown
07-02-2005, 01:41 AM
next time, when you go to Jail for jaywalking, tell them go ahead, post bail, and then when it comes time to bargain with the DA, tell him to drop the charges or take it to a trial by jury.

I'd love to see a trial by jury for jaywalking.

RB

somethingstupid
07-02-2005, 02:38 AM
Get drunk first. Then cross the street.

emonrad87
07-02-2005, 02:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

He's only 17. My guess is he'll be applying for college next year, and then he'll learn it.. that's what happened for me.

emonrad87
07-02-2005, 02:54 AM
Where in seattle did this occur? I live in Seattle as well.

-Skeme-
07-02-2005, 03:14 AM
Shoreline/LFP area where the cops don't have anything at all to do. So to make up for this, they randomly stop teenagers for doing minute things such as jaywalking. Seriously, is there anything more mundane?

Yobz
07-02-2005, 03:37 AM
U-District here, working for the man at MS...no real cop interactions yet

-Skeme-
07-02-2005, 03:50 AM
Does anybody know if I can get out of this? People cross here all the time, it's right between 2 bus stops. They have a large island in the middle of the road where people routinely wait for a section to cross. I don't see why they'd place the bus stops there and expect people to walk up a big hill to find a cross walk, just to walk all the way back down. This is BS.

emonrad87
07-02-2005, 04:26 AM
I live in Queen Anne myself.. gonna be moving to chicago in september though.

Is it really worth the hassle to try and get out of it? It's not like a traffic ticket that will [censored] up your insurance rates...

-Skeme-
07-02-2005, 04:31 AM
My brother lives in Queen Anne. And it's not about the money, I'd have no problem coughing up $43 dollars, but it's such a bullshit charge that I refuse to willingly pay it. It's the principle. It will go on my driving record, too.

I suppose there is nothing I can do. Perhaps if I would've apologized and acted like a good little boy to the megalomaniac-in-training, I could've been on my way without a ticket. I indeed was jaywalking as there is no crosswalk in the vicinity of the area I was in. Perhaps I can try and get a sign posted or a crosswalk marked there?

Does anybody know if I can try and have this cancelled out due to lack of crosswalks in the exact area my apartment is in? As I said, MANY people cross here, not just me. Perhaps I can try and get a sign posted so others don't receive fines for this frivelous "crime." Also, can I get it cancelled on some sort of technicality? Like, I wasn't causing any problems. The car I ran behind didn't screech it's tires, nothing like that?

DavidC
07-02-2005, 10:51 AM
If there's no crosswalk, you might want to look up the exact laws on jaywalking in your area.

It's possible that you didn't do it.

Particularly if you got the lights flashed at you before you crossed the road, you could even say that you weren't going to cross at all, but did because the cops indicated that's where they wanted to talk to you. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

--Dave.

Voltron87
07-02-2005, 11:51 AM
I'm from NYC, if some cop ever tried to ticket me for jaywalking I would just laugh and walk away, probably getting myself really [censored].

SCfuji
07-02-2005, 12:10 PM
this is horrible. try to fight the ticket!!!!! trial by jury sounds good.

jakethebake
07-02-2005, 12:34 PM
why did he stop you to begin with? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

LeatherFace
07-02-2005, 01:23 PM
This reminds me of the time back when I was a kid (not yet a real man) I was coming home from the dentist with my mom and a cop pulled us over and my mom was all confused and the cop comes up and asks my mom if she knows why she was pulled over, and moms all nice and like um actually i dont know LoL hahaha. The cops like your son right there wasnt wearing a seatbelt. ( I definetly was wearing a seatbelt, when you were raised by my stepdad you make sure to put your seatbelt on or youll get a huge ass beating) and I started yelling that I was to wearing my seatbelt, and my mom is like so since he is 16 he has to pay the ticket right? I'm getting all pissed because I was wearing my seatbelt. My moms still talking laughing with him and shes like I thought I heard a click after we drove by you LoL. (that really pissed me off cause now shes lying) eventually after my mom STFU from LoL HaHaHa. The cop decided he wouldnt give us a ticket.

So in conclusion the best way to deal with a cop is to just show respect and that your sorry and you like him. Ofcourse thats if your not like me, cause I have 3 testicles and eat beef jerky, I just tell the cop whose boss, put him over my lap give him a couple of slaps on his tushie give him some napkins to wipe his tears off, make some Oink Oink noises and send the little dirtbag on his way.

Jeff W
07-02-2005, 01:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"Why? Then you guys can hurt me?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you get the ticket before or after you acted like a smartass and talked down to the cops?

As soon as the cop accused you of obstruction, you should have acted apologetic and humble. You knew the cop was an [censored] as soon as he stopped you. Why feed his power trip?

Jeff W
07-02-2005, 01:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
im glad you gave then the attitude you did, most people cower and let the cops treat them like some bitch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's what I used to say until my friend was maced and thrown in a deep south jail cell for arguing with some backwards hick police officer.

-Skeme-
07-02-2005, 05:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Did you get the ticket before or after you acted like a smartass and talked down to the cops?

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously I received the actual ticket at the end of the situation, but I'm pretty sure I was getting one anyway. I wasn't acting like a smartass at all, the hurt me comment was actually to another cop who I'd chatted with before. We were arguing friendly back and forth about things, the other cop was in his car writing my ticket and doing a background check. So no, that didn't have anything to do with it. Me informing the retard that I wasn't obstructing could've, but I'm not gonna shut my mouth right there. It's just something I can't do.

[ QUOTE ]
As soon as the cop accused you of obstruction, you should have acted apologetic and humble. You knew the cop was an [censored] as soon as he stopped you. Why feed his power trip?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not being humble, bud. That's being a little bitch, something not in my character. I'm not going to apologize for something I didn't do. Jaywalking I admitted, since technically I crossed a street without the aid of 2 stripes, but obstruction? Come on. And I didn't snap at him or act like a dick when I told him I wasn't obstruction. I told him I was trying to help him and that I hadn't been lying, which he was partially accusing me of.

I need to call the police department where I'm supposed to pay the ticket to or something. Figure out the specific details on jaywalking. Might as well ask WTF obstruction is, too.

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, that's what I used to say until my friend was maced and thrown in a deep south jail cell for arguing with some backwards hick police officer.

[/ QUOTE ]

So your friend was voicing his opinion like every American should be allowed to do, and a piece of [censored] cop maced him and beat his ass for no reason? Excellent, that's a great point..

The Stranger
07-02-2005, 05:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Might as well ask WTF obstruction is, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its when a defensive player impedes a base runner while not in possession or not in the act of receiving the ball.

-Skeme-
07-02-2005, 05:52 PM
Just went into the kitchen to get something to drink. Glanced out window and saw random woman crossing the road. Fcking jaywalkers, when will they ever learn?

FlashFunk
07-02-2005, 05:59 PM
Where at in Seattle was this?

-Skeme-
07-02-2005, 06:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Shoreline/LFP area where the cops don't have anything at all to do. So to make up for this, they randomly stop teenagers for doing minute things such as jaywalking. Seriously, is there anything more mundane?

[/ QUOTE ]

So jaywalking is indeed crossing without a crosswalk? What the F is that [censored], now I have to walk all the way up this hill then back down just to avoid paying $43? Does anybody know if it's more for a second offense?

BigBaitsim (milo)
07-02-2005, 06:16 PM
I've been pulled over about 10 times in the past five years for speeding or something similar, but only have 4 tickets. I banter with the cops, act apologetic and have a bit of fun chatting. They are often so surprised to not get the typical responses, that they don't ticket me. Being cool with cops is very +EV. Being a dick is not.

FlashFunk
07-02-2005, 06:18 PM
Ah woops, missed that you already clarified.

Just asking because theres one of those island things a little north of 145th and Lake City Way that I always see ppl crossing on (no crosswalks anywhere nearby) and always wondered if they could get ticketed from that. Sounds pretty ridiculous to me.

KaneKungFu123
07-02-2005, 06:21 PM
[censored] the police.

-Skeme-
07-02-2005, 07:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Being cool with cops is very +EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

Being falsely accused of obstruction isn't.

[ QUOTE ]
Being a dick is not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you're a cop.

[ QUOTE ]
Just asking because theres one of those island things a little north of 145th and Lake City Way that I always see ppl crossing on (no crosswalks anywhere nearby) and always wondered if they could get ticketed from that. Sounds pretty ridiculous to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly what I was crossing on. Slightly down past Lake City Way, down the hill past the intersection where McDonalds, 7Eleven and Taco Bell are. I always thought the islands were that wide so people could indeed wait on them to cross. Makes no sense to put them there, right next to the bus stop, if you can't cross.

Felix_Nietsche
07-02-2005, 10:16 PM
I've talked my way out of many tickets. I even have a system.
Play their game, reinforce their macho-ism, and never challenge their authority. Chances are his GF left him and he was taking his anger out on the world.

Ray Zee
07-02-2005, 11:05 PM
if there is a court date go for it or call the clerk of the court and see what the proceedure is there for pleading innocent. you will go before a judge and most likely the cop wont show so it will be dismissed. you win. if not you get to question just like on tv. so have your day in court. everyone should do it at least once.

-Skeme-
07-02-2005, 11:15 PM
Can I have you subpoenaed to appear in court as a character witness, Ray? We're pals, right?

FlashFunk
07-02-2005, 11:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That's exactly what I was crossing on. Slightly down past Lake City Way, down the hill past the intersection where McDonalds, 7Eleven and Taco Bell are. I always thought the islands were that wide so people could indeed wait on them to cross. Makes no sense to put them there, right next to the bus stop, if you can't cross.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hehe, I live a little farther up in Kenmore. I rode the bus to the U and back everyday and saw ppl using that island everyday. Its especially dumb since the bus stop is right by that convenience store with no crosswalks to get to the other side of the rode anywhere in sight, most ppl who lived in that apartment complex used that island. I wouldn't think it would be too hard to argue your way outta that ticket.

Philuva
07-02-2005, 11:40 PM
When I was visiting Seattle, I noticed everyone waited for the Walk sign before crossing regardless if traffic was coming or not. Coming from NYC, it was something I had never seen before. So I just assumed that Seattle police were crazy about issuing j-walking tickets or j-walking was not in the seattle culture.

-Skeme-
07-02-2005, 11:49 PM
Yep, I live in the less visible complex right there. Everybody uses the islands. There is no other way to cross the street to go to the store without walking up to McDonalds and circling around. Ridiculous.

emonrad87
07-03-2005, 01:55 AM
It's just not the seattle culture. In fact, I crossed the street downtown once when the light was about 5 seconds from changing and there were no cars in sight. Some dumb bitch started giving me crap about it - she even followed me into Westlake Center (the opposite direction she had been going) to tell me to follow the laws and not jaywalk. I told her, take the dildo outta your ass and STFU bitch. That did the trick. I really hate the average slow driving Seattle bitch.

oreogod
07-03-2005, 06:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm from NYC, if some cop ever tried to ticket me for jaywalking I would just laugh and walk away, probably getting myself really [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

I lived in Bayridge Brooklyn for a couple years. Man, you can jaywalk infront of cops, they dont give a [censored] there. What can u do anyway with 30 ppl jaywalking at once.

Bulldog
07-03-2005, 08:32 AM
Exhibit A:

http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/4630/a8de.jpg (http://www.imageshack.us)

B Dids
07-03-2005, 01:20 PM
I had to vist another city (SF) to learn how to jaywalk. People in here are scared.

My favorite is down by the Convention place bus tunnel. There's all kinds of construction that's reduce traffic to one way, and it's not even a busy street in the first place. Still in the morning there will be a cop there 3 out of 5 days, forcing you to wait for the light to change before you walk 3 yards to cross the street. It's really dumb.

TomCollins
07-03-2005, 04:20 PM
Maybe it will teach you not to give attitude to cops. Reminds me of that video a few weeks back.

Sure, cops are dicks a lot of the time. But giving attitude to a dick cop is -EV.

TomCollins
07-03-2005, 04:26 PM
I did this for a ticket that was complete BS when I was 17. My dad had a package at work for legal work, so I was able to get a lawyer. Unfortunately, you get what you pay for. The cop said he had been following me for a mile on a road, and I was going 51 in a 25. I had turned onto the road less than a tenth of a mile before, and there was no way my Camry could have been going near that fast in that little time. I had a witness in the car that heard the cop say this, and I had a witness I had just dropped off on the road I turned it in. My lawyer (get what you pay for), interviews the cop before the trial, and tells him our strategy. Cop then testifies that he never said he followed me for a mile, was heading TOWARDS me, managed to clock me, and do a U-Turn, catch up to my car going 51 mph, all within 1/10th of a mile. I saw the cop speeding on the highway on the way home. Dickhead.

So I got the ticket anyway. I did manage to fight another ticket for "failure to maintain control" because my tires squealed around a turn, as they were low on air. Would have lost my license for a year, and the cop didnt show up.

They have all the power, doesn't matter if you are right or wrong. The sooner you learn this, the better off you'll be.

-Skeme-
07-03-2005, 04:31 PM
Am I by myself when I say this is complete and utter bullshit?

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/9733/route7ut.jpg

-Skeme-
07-03-2005, 04:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe it will teach you not to give attitude to cops. Reminds me of that video a few weeks back.

Sure, cops are dicks a lot of the time. But giving attitude to a dick cop is -EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

These cops were ticketing me regardless of what attitude I allegedly had.

B Dids
07-03-2005, 05:20 PM
Well, they expect you to drive /images/graemlins/smile.gif. That's the problem. Seattle, especially North Seattle, has no love for the carless.

I think getting lippy with people who have some legal ability to comprimise your freedom and safety is a bad idea. Yeah, it suck, but attitude is never going to help you there. Just suck it up and move on.

-Skeme-
07-03-2005, 05:30 PM
I only gave "attitude" when I found out I was being ticketed for crossing the street. And a little more when he threatened to arrest me for obstruction. Like I said, it wasn't my mouth that got me my ticket.. it was the fact my city has the gayest cops ever.

B Dids
07-03-2005, 07:11 PM
I'm not saying that got you the ticket. I'm saying that mouthing off to people who can...

A- arrest you and/or otherwise make your life annoying

B- hurt you and potentially get away with it

... isn't wise. I'm not saying all cops are dicks and I'm not saying that these guys weren't dicks, but they're in a position where they can [censored] you, and it's probably in your best interest not to piss them off. You don't have much to gain and you have a lot to lose.

-Skeme-
07-03-2005, 07:27 PM
I concur.