PDA

View Full Version : Magic Tricks

tbach24
07-01-2005, 11:10 PM
I just learned this awesome magic trick.

I want to learn more. Please help me.

Edit- card tricks preferably

SpearsBritney
07-01-2005, 11:13 PM
Presto! (http://www.magicantonio.com/rocks-n-rings.php)

tbach24
07-01-2005, 11:17 PM
Oh yeah, here's my trick:

Take a deck of cards, spread it out, have them take one

Make it so that when they put it back, there are three behind it and the other 48 on top

Shuffle it so those 4 are on bottom

Then take one off of the bottom without letting them see the deck, and ask them if it's their card. Act kind of disappointed and put it back on top and put the 2nd one on a nearby table, repeat this process 4 more times. You now have five cards on the table.

Take the five cards and pick the one off the bottom and ask them if it's their's, when they say no, put it back on top and put the 2nd one on the table. (Remember, the 2nd one is your money card). Then ask them if #3 is their card and put it over #2, and then say "screw it" and put them all down. Then ask them to put the cards between their pointer and middle finger. Make sure the cards are tightly in between.

Now you tap the cards with your finger until there is one left, and this will be the money card. For some reason the bottom one will be the last to fall.

Fin!

-Skeme-
07-01-2005, 11:22 PM
I will make this gay thread disapear! *poof!* Just kidding, thread has potential.

Vince Young
07-01-2005, 11:32 PM
LMFAO!!

somethingstupid
07-02-2005, 02:36 AM
Magic tricks will not help you get laid. Stop trying.

Sponger15SB
07-02-2005, 02:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I will make this gay thread disapear! *poof!*

[/ QUOTE ]

Dammit, stole my joke.

Not that this was the hardest to think of or anything.

tbach24
07-02-2005, 02:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes they will:

Step 1: Get her attention with the magic trick
Step 2: Pop a pill in her drink
Step 3: Have Sex!!!

<font color="white"> kidding </font>

-Skeme-
07-02-2005, 02:40 AM
Easy trick to win $5 or so. Give someone a random card. Let them choose, they pick it and then riffle the deck and stop when they tell you to. Open the deck and split it into 2 halves, one in each hand. Hold the bottom half in the left hand, face down, and the top above it. Tell them to place it on the bottom one, they do. Meanwhile, very slightly, you tilt the top half and look at the card which will be directly above their card. So now you know where to go. Now the fun part:

Tell them you will deal the cards out one by one, face up, on the table, and will turn over their card. You can either explain this now or later, later works better. Once you see the card you memorized, the next card will be theirs. You keep going, though, so they think you missed it. And explain that the NEXT card you turn over is theres and that you're willing to bet money on it. Then when they agree.. turn over the card next to the one you saw. Bingo, you win.

vulturesrow
07-02-2005, 02:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That isnt necessarily true. Obviously carrying around a deck of cards to do this is lame. But if you learn a couple of easy bar tricks it can be a great icebreaker. My cousin was especially good at this.

JustSomeJackass
07-02-2005, 09:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Explain Claudia Schiffer and David Copperfield then.

fluxrad
07-02-2005, 09:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Game. Set. Match.

Opraman
07-02-2005, 09:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Copperfield!
Coppa-feelo!
Operaman no comprendo
Il dorko has hot girlfriendo!

Opraman
07-02-2005, 09:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If she like-ah magic
Mi take-ah classoh
En two weeks
Pull a rabbit out of my ass-oh!

Blarg
07-02-2005, 10:10 PM
Do coin tricks. They wow people more than card tricks, because coins are more everyday objects. You don't have to "get into the mood for magic" for a coin trick. And you can always carry some with you. They are also easier to palm if you have really skinny fingers that show the backs of cards through a crack. Many coin palms don't use the fingers to cover the coin.

Half dollars are good to do them with -- big enough to catch the eye and manipulate, small enough to not cumbersome. FWIW -- the 1964 Kennedy half-dollars are silver, and shine much more. Catches the eye really well.

Couple nice things about them - you can practice them anywhere, pretty unobtrusively, since all it takes is a coin. And, they make your fingers, hands, and wrists extremely supple and limber. I used to warm up for a typing session by doing coin tricks, and for some reason it also helped a lot when I had already been typing for a long, long time.

Also, half dollars are about the size of poker chips. So you can fool around doing exercises at the poker table, maybe show off a little if you like. Handle the chips like that and people will think you've been playing like crazy for years. It's good for a laugh or to throw a sudden bolt of fear into someone wondering if he should call you. I've had to stifle a roar of laughter once or twice in that situation.

Oh, and another thing -- for someone really getting seriously into magic, you "powder" your cards so they stay slick, and buy new decks like crazy. Get yourself half a dozen half dollars, and you're set for life for all of three bucks.

Blarg
07-02-2005, 10:13 PM
Copperfield is unbelievably rich. He was working Vegas from the time he was a teenager. He gave her a ring worth millions, as I recall. Schiffer is rich, but nowhere near David Copperfield rich.

Macdaddy Warsaw
07-02-2005, 10:15 PM
Do you want to tell us some coin tricks? Or are you just referring to stuff like passing it in between your fingers, etc.

Sponger15SB
07-02-2005, 10:16 PM
Blarg, is there anything you don't know?

I expect to see at least an 8 paragraph response to this question.

-Skeme-
07-02-2005, 10:16 PM
I concur, coin tricks are sweet and easy to practice with. They also require no preperation other than practice beforehand.

A good one is when you're sitting down eating at a restaurant. You slide the coin back towards your lap a few times. Have your 4 fingers straight out and your thumb behind, so it looks like you're sliding the coin back with the 4 fingers and grabbing it once it's at the edge of the table with your thumb. After the 2nd or 3rd time you do this, drop the coin into your lap, but still act like you picked it up. I believe it's called the Utility Move or the Utility something, but it's cool. Anyways, it's now in your lap, but they still think it's in your hand. I like to make a fist with it and then clap both of my hands together really quick, it's an awesome illusion.

Try and google the Utility trick and you're sure to pick up something.

Oh, and another cool little move to pick up a few bucks. Take a match stick, not the actual sticks, but the normal ones from the booklets people have in bars and such. Tell the person that you can drop the match and have it land pefectly on it's side. Normally the match will fall face down, the flat side. They'll agree to let you do it. You can let them inspect the match all the want. Before you drop it, bend it at a right angle, then let go. It'll land on it's side. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Blarg
07-03-2005, 12:52 PM
LOL. I used to take magic classes when I was a kid. I practiced sleight of hand pretty much constantly for years, which is the only way to become really good at it. Used to be decent. Always found people liked the coin tricks best. It wows them when the magic isn't part of a big phoney set-up, but is just close-up right under their nose with the most ordinary stuff, and coins are about as ordinary and spontaneous as it gets.

rusellmj
07-03-2005, 01:26 PM
http://www.coinmanipulation.com/

Blarg
07-03-2005, 01:29 PM
Well, once you know the basic palms, the tricks pretty just make themselves. The thing is to learn the palms. Also, the flourishes get outsized respect, considering you don't have to "fool" anyone with them.

I had two books that I got an incredible number of palms and tricks from, but I don't remember their names and they're buried god knows where in boxes. I think one was simply a slim paperback called "Coin Magic," but I'm sure there are probably a ton of books with that name. Another was about a 300 page hardback that was the best magic book I've ever seen. I'd suggest looking for them through some magic shop or book store, or seeing what you can find on the internet. It can be VERY hard to get really good explanations of how to do sleight of hand, as it's hard explain with real precision and readably at the same time, and that's why I'm not going to bother when it's already out there. But I'm sure there's info on the internet too, and the main thing is a whole lot of practice, which you can start right away even if you only know one palm.

Or else, you can get into gimmicky tricks that use equipment and such, but then close-up magic loses a lot of its charm and power. Spontaneity is a big fun thing about it. I'd suggest getting some Kennedy half dollars and learn any palms you can find, and then applying them to trick after trick(tricks are easier to find than good techniques).

Here's one thing to get you started in limbering your hands up, that also looks spectacular. I adapted an old billiard ball trick. Basically, with billiard balls, you may have seen people make them appear and disappear one by one, and do a flourish where you fan out your fingers and there's one between each finger, and your finger and thumb, too. Billiard balls are big, even the small magic trick variety, and it's a strain just to learn how to hold them between your fingers, much less manipulate them quickly and freely.

Well, it's even harder with coins, and though coins aren't colorful, it's still visually spectacular. You can start with one coin and work up to four, which wouold fill all the spaces.

Grab a half dollar by its edges between the tip of your thumb and the little indention of the end joint of your index finger. Hold it horizontally, so it spreads out your finger and thumb, not by the narrow edge like you would pick up a book or a plate. Now push your middle finger down around the coin until it touches your thumb, and the last joint of your middle finger catches the edge of the coin. It should be at the opposite end of the coin from the index finger. Release the thumb and bring the middle finger back to how you normally hold your hand -- only now it's got the platter of the coin between the index finger and middle finger. You've just done your first billiard-ball style coin roll. Reverse the process to get it held back between index finger and thumb. Do this when you're reading, waiting at the DMV, whatever. Do it till the coin is lodged firmly every time you do it. Now repeat the process with your other fingers -- down they go to the opposite edge of the coin, the far finger releases, and you move the coin to the next spot between fingers. Roll the coin up and down your hand this way. It gets much harder between the other fingers because they're shorter and less flexible, and you'll have to tilt the coin a bit and tilt it back without making it eventually become skewed and fall out of register.

When you get good at this, and it will take a good while(sleight of hand and flourishes take way more time than most people have, but luckily you can do them while watching t.v. etc.), try it with four coins for the real WOW effect. Hold four coins between thumb and forefinger. This time, when your middle finger comes down to pluck at the edge of the coin, take TWO coins from the bottom. Harder, eh?

Learn to roll them back and two at a time from their thumb hold to their index/middle finger hold. You really need to work on the smoothness, because these coins will at one point be going back together, and every manipulation brings them potentially further out of line. So practice keeping them in a smooth line you can recover from.

Now you're going to take the two you just got out and stuck between index and middle finger and move them to the space between middle and ring finger. Same way you did it with a single coin. When this is done, you have two stacks of two -- one there, and one still between thumb and first finger.

Now you do the glory part. Dip your middle finger down to your thumb, like you did to get the first two coins. Pull up a coin from the thumb hold with one edge of your middle finger. At the same time, your pinky finger drops down to touch your middle finger, and snags the dge of one of the coins held betwee index and ring fingers. You now expand your hand so that a new coin rolls into the space between your pinky and ring finger AND between your index and middle finger AT THE SAME TIME. You'll want to cup your hand to catch falling coins, practice this while seated, etc., so you don't have to chase falling coins.

Opening things out smoothly looks like you're opening a fan of fingers with nice bright coins in between. It's a very unusual flourish(I've never seen anyone else do it) that'll rock 'em, but takes a ton of practice. When you get good at it, you reverse the process, which is even harder, and have a nice stack of four coins held NEATLY between thumb and forefinger. Doing it several times in succession drives home the visual flair of it and also how hard it is. Especially since your friends will probably immediately want to try it and not be able to do even one. If you can do it with both hands, it's even prettier.

Well, you see how long and hard to describe that is, and that it's not easy to learn from without pictures either or a personal demonstration either, so now you know why I didn't want to describe any trick, much less tricks plural. You've got enough for a few months practice right there, though. The internet should give you a few more.

Be prepared to spend an insane amount of time practicing these things. There's nothing worse than a half-assed magic trick or flourish that fumbles. Make sure you're REALLY good or you'll just make people HATE to see not only your tricks, but everyone else's. One reason a lot of people hate magic is because so many people do it badly. Another is that so many seem so fake and artificial. Coin tricks are so natural and close-up and undeniably in your face without special equipment that they can get people who can't stand magic really having a good time. So don't blow it, and do your part by practicing. On a practical level, nobody has time to practice unless they're doing other things while doing it, like reading, chatting, anything that frees up your hands. Heck, you can even do it on an exercise bike or while stretching or reading in the library. There's usually time there, if you're not shy about using it. It's not like your hands are usually busy when you're studying etc. And a single half dollar in your coin pocket is pretty much your complete tool set, so you can get good if you want to. At the best kind of magic there is! Close-up magic, no weird props, is the only kind I usually care to watch. Anyone can do a magic trick with a purple three-sided whatchamajigger made just to do tricks; it really wows you and convinces when someone grabs and ordinary object and does something freaky.

Blarg
07-03-2005, 01:39 PM
Great link!

Turns out they have a version of what I just explained illustrated there, with actual video, so you can see what the visual effect is like. They call it the roll down. The visual effect is even better than this guy shows it, because he keeps his hands cramped up a bit at the end. It's a flourish -- stretch your hand way out and FLOURISH it! You've earned it!

A little note on the finish and on the final display. Once they're all rolled out, you can bring your fingers quickly together to have them all in one stack, and then back again, if you keep your grip the same on the edges of the coins. That opening and closing back and forth can look very cool, and sliding home the coins to close them into a stack again has a satisfying noisy sliding sound that adds to the effect.