PDA

View Full Version : Tournament (satellite) Did I make the right play?

pokerhontas
02-05-2003, 08:32 AM
At Bellagio, there was a "No Limit Bet" Hold 'em tournament. Buy-in $500 + $40. The satellite $130, nine players, two players get a seat in the tournament plus $25. I played in one of the satellites. You received $1500 in chips.

After one half hour of play there was eight players left, I have $500 remaining, low bankroll on table. The blinds are $150 & $75, I'm the big blind.
My cards are Ace-Five unsuited. The player under the gun raises $400 everyone folds. I called the $400 raise making me all in.

I played because being low bankroll not playing leaves me with $350 in chips and small blind. I had an Ace, if the other player was paired or with no Ace in his hand I could win the pot if an Ace shows on board. My chances against one player with an Ace is better than against many players. If there was two or more players I would have folded. With small blind next and being dealt a poor hand would leave me with $275 against a table of eight players with bigger bankrolls. If I won, I would have $1000 bankroll competitive with most of the other players. After the small blind I'd be on the button and have good position for a couple of rounds.

The other player had pocket Queens, the flop, turn, and the river did not produce an Ace eliminating me from the satellite.

DID I MAKE THE RIGHT PLAY?

Thanks in advance,
POKERHONTAS

Kurn, son of Mogh
02-05-2003, 10:32 AM
It's a tough decision when you're that short stacked, but you're not in danger of being blinded out for more than one more orbit, and you're getting position in two hands. Against an UTG raise, you have to know you're way behind. You're up against either a big pair or a big ace. I'd have waited for a better spot. You can always recoup your blinds from the button.

ohkanada
02-05-2003, 11:13 AM
I think a better play would have been to go all-in with any 2 UTG. You now have the possibilities that they all fold and if you get 1 caller you may be a underdog (2:1) vs 2 overcards. The BB may well call with any 2 as well.

Now being that you are in the BB with your Ace calling is likely correct. The problem is you are likely looking at 3 outs assuming a pair bigger than 44 or a bigger ace than you have. You should still win your share of times plus UTG could have something like KQ/KJ/QJ.

Ken Poklitar