PDA

View Full Version : Pre-flop Decision

colgin
07-01-2005, 07:46 PM
Party $5/10 (full). I am on the Button with T9s. EP (loose passive) limps, I decide to limp unless there is a raise. EP2 (who I have not seen raise pre-flop in the 2-3 orbits that I have been at the table) raises and I hit auto-muck.

After my hand folds I see that EP2's raise left him with $2.5. Had I noticed this should I have called, raised, or folded?

bozlax
07-01-2005, 07:51 PM
If you noticed it after you folded, chances are somebody else noticed it before the deal, so any play you make at that point will be seen as trying to steal the poor guy's last $12.50 and will be met with resistance. I throw it in the muck, wishing I'd had a better starting 2.

damaniac
07-01-2005, 08:01 PM
This is one of those times PS might actually be very relevant. Assume for a moment that if you 3-bet, everyone else will scram. So you're risking 1.25BB's to win 1.95 BB's. If I am correct, you need to win slightly more than 40% of the time. Given his range, I think he may certainly be raising light and stacking off, but there's no reason to think he's raising any two. Of the hands he'll raise, most of them will be things like Ax, Kx, two broadways, any pair, etc, most of which are ahead of you. I didn't Pstove any ranges, but I figure that the fact that you are behind, plus the fact that a player in the blinds will either catch a hand or play along anyway every now and then might make this -EV. At any rate, if you choose to fold and pass up a +EV opportunity, it is probably slightly +EV at best.

Oops. Did not notice the EP limper. I don't think he folds very often. If he would fold most of the time, I might like a raise. But I think this makes the fold easier.

Hoi Polloi
07-01-2005, 09:43 PM
I actually think the short stack pushes you more toward folding. You're hand is speculative. Your implied odds are reduced here so I think you're better off mucking.

Redeye
07-01-2005, 10:11 PM
You've only got one player in that can contribue if you hit your hand. I think becuase of that its a pretty easy fold, your just not going to make up enough often enough because you probably behind the EP limper a lot, even if he is loose. If I had some big cards I would 3-bet here thinking this guy is raising light and try to get it HU, but thats really not an option with this hand.

colgin
07-02-2005, 01:59 PM
I thought this would have still been an easy fold even if I realized that EP2 was shortstacked. Was just curious though to hear others' reactions.