PDA

View Full Version : Asking because I don't have a clue...

Arnfinn Madsen
07-01-2005, 07:10 PM
How much will a new conservative judge influence American life? (0=nothing, 10=changes everything)

[censored]
07-01-2005, 07:16 PM
I said a 3 as America is already a conservative natian for the most part. I would add that my cap for any supreme court nominee or any number of them would be a 6. Meaning that I do not believe the court affect our dailey lives for the most part, however it decides.

lastchance
07-01-2005, 07:19 PM
I think the supreme court has the longest and most lasting effects of any public office in America. Still, one more judge out of 9 isn't that big, but it's a solid 7 or 8 in my mind.

lehighguy
07-01-2005, 07:33 PM
A lot of big decisions have been 5-4. A conservative judge could overturn some of thsoe decisions. My hope is affirmitive action is finally ruled unconstitutional.

shots
07-01-2005, 07:43 PM
I think the big question is how conservative oconner was considered a conservative but vote for abortion. If the abortion issue is revisited and an anti abortion judge has taken oconners place this will change the country a lot.

masse75
07-03-2005, 02:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
A lot of big decisions have been 5-4. A conservative judge could overturn some of thsoe decisions. My hope is affirmitive action is finally ruled unconstitutional.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe if you look long and hard at the history of the Supreme Court, you will see (regardless of change in conservative/liberal makeup) justices are extremely hesitant to rule against a previous court decision, with exceptions to egregiously wrong decisions (Dred Scott).

I said 2.

AngryCola
07-03-2005, 03:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My hope is affirmitive action is finally ruled unconstitutional.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually agree with this, but it probably won't happen.

Felix_Nietsche
07-03-2005, 10:25 AM
justices are extremely hesitant to rule against a previous court decision,
Sadly, this is true.
Unconstitutional rulings from previous court rulings become defacto law.
3...but maybe I'm being too optimistic. /images/graemlins/smile.gif