PDA

View Full Version : NEW AND IMPROVED Best Action Movie of the 80s Poll!!! - Round One

swede123
07-01-2005, 04:01 PM
Well, here it is. This updated poll contains 64 movies. The rankings were determined by IMDB's average user rating for each movie. Some of the IMDB ratings are pretty messed up, especially in light of this being a poll of the greatest action movie, but I had to seed them somehow...
Also, some of the higher seeds aren't necessarily classic action movies, so use your conscience when voting.

Here are the contestants...

dcasper70
07-01-2005, 04:06 PM
Excellent matchups in the 7-10/8-9 spots!

Which 15 seed upsets a #2 this year (gotta happen)?

Good work Swede!

jakethebake
07-01-2005, 04:09 PM
Tough draw for Uncommon Valor.

[ QUOTE ]
Boy, you just bought the whole can of whup-ass!

[/ QUOTE ]
http://www.saturos.net/under/underpics/Tex_up.jpg

[ QUOTE ]
Boy,usin' that martial bulls[/b]hit on me's gonna get real expensive

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www1.odn.ne.jp/~ceh08740/tex.cobb.jpg

[ QUOTE ]
You don't quit, boy. Not when it's for real!

[/ QUOTE ]

private joker
07-01-2005, 04:12 PM
Big Trouble in Little China vs. Commando is really really tough. Wow.

I went with BTiLC because it's so awesome and hilarious. But then again, Commando is awesome and hilarious. Both are eminently quotable, both are irresistibly watchable.

It was also nice to see Bloodsport up there. I hope that film goes far. I love Bloodsport. "OK, USA!"

swede123
07-01-2005, 04:15 PM
Based on the IMDB rating Uncommon Valor should have been an eight or nine seed, but I didn't see your post about it until I was previewing the final poll. All of those seeds were pretty solid movies and I didn't want to recreate the whole thing so I just swapped Uncommon Valor in there for Murphy's Law at the 13th spot.

Swede

lucas9000
07-01-2005, 04:15 PM
iron eagle >>>>> last crusade

http://www.broadwaytovegas.com/louisgossett.jpg

MoreWineII
07-01-2005, 04:16 PM
This poll is going to get really interesting.

[censored]
07-01-2005, 04:19 PM
I took the top seeds, except for Rocky IV and Rocky III which I picked.

Hardest choice was Commando vs. Big Trouble in Little China -- But after thinking for a moment it was clear that Big Trouble in little China was the easy choice.

Bulldog
07-01-2005, 04:24 PM
The Last Boy Scout was still released in 1991. DQ.

MoreWineII
07-01-2005, 04:25 PM
It's not too late to replace it with:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087538/

Bulldog
07-01-2005, 04:25 PM
Best underdog not getting nearly enough love: Best of the Best

jakethebake
07-01-2005, 04:29 PM
I saw this and for a second though: Did they really make six of them?

[ QUOTE ]
First Blood - Rambo (6)

[/ QUOTE ] /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Lady Dont Tekno
07-01-2005, 04:31 PM
Please vote Bloodsport everyone! It's an excellent movie and a great sleeper pick. Final four!

I am torn however. Best of the Best AND The Perfect Weapon!!?? This is too good to be true. But I'm gonna stay true to form and keep rooting on Bloodsport.

OK USA!

LDT

swede123
07-01-2005, 04:33 PM
Oops. I tried to verify the release year when checking the ratings, but that one must have passed me by. Right now The Running Man is beating it so hopefully it won't be an issue....

Swede

jakethebake
07-01-2005, 04:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Oops. I tried to verify the release year when checking the ratings, but that one must have passed me by. Right now The Running Man is beating it so hopefully it won't be an issue.... Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

Exzcept that half the movies getting beat are better than The Running Man. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I don't think I'd have let the sci-fi crap in, and Glory isn't an action movie, but oh, well. Nice job on this poll anyway. Much better than the original! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wintermute
07-01-2005, 04:40 PM
yeah, no sh*t! that's like asking me to choose between a fur-burger and a bearded clam. yer bweakin' my baws, hans brix, bweakin' my baws

I went with Commando for what it's worth, the music put it over the top. LET OFF A LITTLE STEAM, BENNETT!

samjjones
07-01-2005, 04:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
yeah, no sh*t! that's like asking me to choose between a fur-burger and a bearded clam. yer bweakin' my baws, hans brix, bweakin' my baws

I went with Commando for what it's worth, the music put it over the top. LET OFF A LITTLE STEAM, BENNETT!

[/ QUOTE ]
I loves me some Caribbean steel drum beats while I blow away 237 assorted Sandanistas!

Bulldog
07-01-2005, 04:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
and Glory isn't an action movie

[/ QUOTE ]

Glory (1989)
Directed by
Edward Zwick

Writing credits (WGA)
Robert Gould Shaw (letters)
Lincoln Kirstein (book)
(more)

Add to MyMovies IMDbPro Professional Details

Genre: <font color="red">Action</font> / Drama / History / War (more)

samjjones
07-01-2005, 04:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Oops. I tried to verify the release year when checking the ratings, but that one must have passed me by. Right now The Running Man is beating it so hopefully it won't be an issue.... Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

Exzcept that half the movies getting beat are better than The Running Man. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I don't think I'd have let the sci-fi crap in, and Glory isn't an action movie, but oh, well. Nice job on this poll anyway. Much better than the original! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
At least the idea/intentions were there...

/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Soul Daddy
07-01-2005, 04:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Best underdog not getting nearly enough love: Best of the Best

[/ QUOTE ]
Word. I heart this movie.

jakethebake
07-01-2005, 04:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
and Glory isn't an action movie

[/ QUOTE ]

Glory (1989)
Directed by
Edward Zwick

Writing credits (WGA)
Robert Gould Shaw (letters)
Lincoln Kirstein (book)
(more)

Add to MyMovies IMDbPro Professional Details

Genre: <font color="red">Action</font> / Drama / History / War (more)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea. Yea. I saw that too. But come on. It was really a racial/anti-slavery statement movie. It wasn't really an action movie.

jakethebake
07-01-2005, 04:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
At least the idea/intentions were there...

/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. The much improved new poll would not exist if it weren't for your pioneering of the old poll. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

swede123
07-01-2005, 04:48 PM
I kinda agree with you Jake. I probably should have left the war movies off the list (Glory, Platoon, FMJ). Not because they are bad movies, but because they are such good movies, overall far better than the usual 80s movies. Pretty much a different class from most of the action flicks in this poll. Like I said in the original post though, use your judgement in voting and remember; this isn't a poll about the best movie, it's about the best ACTION movie of the 80s.

Swede

jakethebake
07-01-2005, 04:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I kinda agree with you Jake. I probably should have left the war movies off the list (Glory, Platoon, FMJ). Not because they are bad movies, but because they are such good movies, overall far better than the usual 80s movies. Pretty much a different class from most of the action flicks in this poll. Like I said in the original post though, use your judgement in voting and remember; this isn't a poll about the best movie, it's about the best ACTION movie of the 80s. Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, some war movies are about the war, and some are about the action. Some are right on the edge. Missing in Action is definitely about the action. Platoon is about the war. Does that make sense?

Lady Dont Tekno
07-01-2005, 04:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I kinda agree with you Jake. I probably should have left the war movies off the list (Glory, Platoon, FMJ). Not because they are bad movies, but because they are such good movies, overall far better than the usual 80s movies. Pretty much a different class from most of the action flicks in this poll. Like I said in the original post though, use your judgement in voting and remember; this isn't a poll about the best movie, it's about the best ACTION movie of the 80s. Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, some war movies are about the war, and some are about the action. Some are right on the edge. Missing in Action is definitely about the action. Platoon is about the war. Does that make sense?

[/ QUOTE ]

The easiest way to solve all of these questions is to just find out if Spike or FX plays them. If they do they're OK.

LDT

beerbandit
07-01-2005, 04:52 PM
much better

Phoenix1010
07-01-2005, 05:03 PM
Conan the Barbarian against Bloodsport may be the hardest decision I've ever had to make in my life. Two of my favorite movies ever.

samjjones
07-01-2005, 05:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Conan the Barbarian against Bloodsport may be the hardest decision I've ever had to make in my life. Two of my favorite movies ever.

[/ QUOTE ]
I feel the same way with Road House vs. Predator.

swede123
07-01-2005, 06:42 PM
The biggest surprise to me so far is Rocky IV comfortably beating Robocop. Don't get me wrong, Rocky IV is great. Still, Robocop is so awesome, I'm a bit surprised it's getting beaten.

Swede

pudley4
07-01-2005, 07:20 PM
Red Dawn has a serious chance at making the final 8.

Group 2 is by far the toughest - Die Hard is insanely low-seeded at 3, and next round's 4v5 (Road Warrior vs Bev Hlls Cop) is brutal. Throw in solid 6 and 7 (Lethal Weapon 2 and Big Trouble in Little China) and you have 7 movies that could easily make the final four.

Group 3 has some good movies at the top, but there's a lot of "meh" about them.

Group 4 has another great chance at an upset winner, in the #4-#6 movies (Predator, Highlander, 48 Hrs.)

Here are the Final Four:
1-Empire Strikes Back (1)
2-Die Hard(3)
3-Alien(1)
4-Predator(4)

Die Hard will win

[censored]
07-01-2005, 07:26 PM
I cannot comprehend the lack of respect that Conan The Barbarian is getting.

private joker
07-01-2005, 07:57 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar på:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude.

Big Trouble. In. Little China. I mean Jesus.

man
07-01-2005, 08:03 PM
I am so unhappy that Conan the barbarian and Bloodsport were in the same bracket. I think I might have to hide under my bed and heal my emotional wounds for the next few days.

man
07-01-2005, 08:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude.

Big Trouble. In. Little China. I mean Jesus.

[/ QUOTE ]this, also upsets me. that movie is so untouchable.

jakethebake
07-01-2005, 11:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Robocop is so awesome...

[/ QUOTE ]

I still say, "I'd buy that for a dollar."

mike l.
07-02-2005, 01:51 AM
alien is a good film but who watches this other crap? die hard? you people are retards.

whiskeytown
07-02-2005, 01:55 AM
I cannot BELIEVE Heartbreak Ridge is getting trounced by Octopussy -

all these idiots are voting for the title the way you judge a book by it's cover - Maud Adams was old, and nothing beats Clint Eastwood as a gunny sgt. in that movie - what bullshit

RB

sexdrugsmoney
07-02-2005, 02:09 AM
There's a huge problem with this poll, in that it crosses genres such as action &amp; sci-fi.

I can already predict that Empire Strikes Back will take the crown at the end, thats a given.

Really action and sci-fi/fantasy should have been seperated IMHO.

geormiet
07-02-2005, 02:23 AM
Is it a coincidence that all but two of the winners are the 1st option?

[censored]
07-02-2005, 02:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Is it a coincidence that all but two of the winners are the 1st option?

[/ QUOTE ]

You got the whole seeding thing right?

somethingstupid
07-02-2005, 02:41 AM
t2

ptmusic
07-02-2005, 05:05 AM
I can't believe Red Dawn is in this list, and winning!

Krull should be in the worst movies ever poll.

The only close one that I feel strongly about is the Robocop vs. Rocky IV. C'mon people!! Rocky IV had a few good tough guy lines, but that doesn't make a good movie!

Vote Robocop!

p.s.

Iron Eagle is completely hilarious, in the sense that it is so bad it is GREAT.

And I had a great mind-blowing experience while watching Predator twice in a row in college.

-ptmusic

sfer
07-02-2005, 08:50 AM
Where is Ice Pirates?

Gunny Highway
07-02-2005, 02:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I cannot BELIEVE Heartbreak Ridge is getting trounced by Octopussy - all these idiots are voting for the title the way you judge a book by it's cover - Maud Adams was old, and nothing beats Clint Eastwood as a gunny sgt. in that movie - what bullshit RB

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't give the pricks the satisfaction.

Grisgra
07-02-2005, 02:11 PM
a sham, smothered in Wrong Sauce, if Big Trouble in Little China doesn't make the next round. Can't believe it's only barely ahead of Commando. Ugh.

Rick Diesel
07-02-2005, 07:53 PM
Pretty sure this was from the 90s. I voted for it anyway though.

vulturesrow
07-02-2005, 07:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Easily the toughest choice for me.

swede123
07-03-2005, 12:04 PM
A few matchups are still close, in case anyone hasn't yet voted. I'll put up round two sometime tonight or tomorrow.

Swede

tolbiny
07-03-2005, 12:49 PM
Red Dawn is an incredible movie. And i am tempted to start making up alias so i can vote for it in the up coming rounds.

What a great movie.