PDA

View Full Version : I guess this counts as a PVS. Good or bad move?

wiggs73
07-01-2005, 03:37 PM
My table image should be pretty tight. I've shown down a couple of winners and stolem the blinds once. This is a PP $55.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP1 (t1544)
MP2 (t1323)
CO (t550)
Button (t935)
SB (t3250)
Hero (t1228)
UTG (t1170)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls t150, MP2 calls t150, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero is all-in for [1150].

freemoney
07-01-2005, 03:38 PM
without better reads this is ugly.

jcm4ccc
07-01-2005, 03:38 PM
High risk, low return.

kyro
07-01-2005, 03:44 PM
I hate the PVS with a passion but if you're ever going to pull it off, this seems like a good place to.

KSKevin
07-01-2005, 03:45 PM
It is probably not necessary, but I like it, especially if the two limpers have been limping a lot. Your stack is big enough that you dont really need to try something like this, but that also suggests that your stack is big enough to keep from getting called by anyone without a premium hand.

bkbluedevil
07-01-2005, 03:46 PM
You need some sort of a read to make this play. I'd be a lot more comfortable with it if the first limper weren't in early position.

kyro
07-01-2005, 03:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
High risk, low return.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't term 525 chips "low return." Is the risk/return ratio higher than I would like? Yeah, which is why I use it like 1/100 SNGs. But he's taking a shot at increasing his stack by 50% which is fairly significant.

zipppy
07-01-2005, 03:55 PM
If the small blind had limped (big stack) I think I'd avoid it here, but since the other two in the pot don't have many more chips than you I like it.

If your table image is fairly tight and they have been limping, I would do this too. They would need a great hand to call, and late in the game I don't typically see too many people limping with hands that they'd call your allin with.

wiggs73
07-04-2005, 10:43 AM
Alright, I'm bumping this post from Friday too incase anyone was interested in my thoughts and / or the results.

I made this move because the table had been playing fairly solid as a whole and people, for the most part, had not been limping. I had noticed that limping did not equate to strength, so I thought this was a great time to add 50% of my chips to my stack.

This isn't a move I try to pull off very often because it is so risky. I don't really think it's a PVS because (if I remember correctly) he does it when blinds are low. Once blinds are significant though, if I'm in late position pre-flop and 1 or 2 people have limped, I'll consider pushing any 2 if my stack size is about the same as the limpers (of if I have them covered). I think it's a move that screams strength and if they know how to play, they'll fold anything but a premium hand here, which they probably wouldn't limp with in the first place with blinds where they are.

In this particular case, the first limper called with JJ and the others folded. Honestly, I like my push a lot more than his call. I guess he put me on a small PP or crap, but I think I could have just as easily held something like AK or QQ here. I think the line of limp / calling an all-in with JJ isn't the best in the world, although I shouldn't complain since I did have 82o.

Newt_Buggs
07-04-2005, 01:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If the small blind had limped (big stack) I think I'd avoid it here, but since the other two in the pot don't have many more chips than you I like it.

[/ QUOTE ]
if the SB had completed I would be more likely to do this (unless he was a maniac) since so many players complete junk.

[ QUOTE ]
In this particular case, the first limper called with JJ and the others folded. Honestly, I like my push a lot more than his call

[/ QUOTE ]
I would have called in his position, but then again I would have probably raised to begin with.