PDA

View Full Version : Could you kill it?

kyro
07-01-2005, 01:38 PM
This may be a really awful poll. I have no idea. It just popped into my head (scary really) and I decided to ask OOT.

Hypothetically, let's say you have undeniable proof that an adorable 12-month old child (let's say he lives next door) will grow up and in 20 years will murder you (without you doing anything to really instigate it). Would you be able to kill this child knowing that if you do not do so in the next 24 hours, you will never get the chance to do so again. (I dunno, they move and he comes back 20 years and robs you at gunpoint and shoots you). What if you knew he would rape your wife instead? Would it make any difference if the only way to commit this act would be in front of his mother, and therefore you would have to take her life as well?

Assume 0% chance of being caught in this act.

SpearsBritney
07-01-2005, 01:41 PM
someone notify this man's neighbors

Macdaddy Warsaw
07-01-2005, 01:42 PM
I feel like I don't do it in any of these situations. I'd like to fall back on "I don't believe in fate" (I don't), but I also just would not be able to do it.

kyro
07-01-2005, 01:43 PM
Actually, if I ever have any of these distorted premonitions, I'm going to a doctor first. Let's just pretend.

Although honestly I wouldn't surprised to get flamed hard for this post. It's kinda messed.

DemonDeac
07-01-2005, 01:44 PM
I FREAKIN LOVE YOUR AVATAR

hoopsie44
07-01-2005, 01:44 PM
Watch "The Boys From Brazil".

PokerBob
07-01-2005, 01:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I FREAKIN LOVE YOUR AVATAR

[/ QUOTE ]

jakethebake
07-01-2005, 01:47 PM
Assuming 100% certainty of the knowledge and 0% of getting caught the kid dies in a heartbeat.

Phoenix1010
07-01-2005, 01:47 PM
It's kind of hard to commit a double homicide and go on to lead a life worth living. Are we to assume that we get lucky enough to get away with no legal consequences? Those CSI guys are tough.

kyro
07-01-2005, 01:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's kind of hard to commit a double homicide and go on to lead a life worth living. Are we to assume that we get lucky enough to get away with no legal consequences? Those CSI guys are tough.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on. You're somehow gifted enough to be able to predict this future with 100% certainty. I think you could avoid those CSI guys for an entire hour (that's all they get unless it's a season finale)

beerbandit
07-01-2005, 01:52 PM
ill probably be dead in 20 years, so no harm there

cheers

kyro
07-01-2005, 01:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
ill probably be dead in 20 years, so no harm there

cheers

[/ QUOTE ]

Then put yourself in your shoes 20 years ago.

2+2 wannabe
07-01-2005, 01:54 PM
i like this poll

LeatherFace
07-01-2005, 01:56 PM
I'm not the strongest man in the world but I'm pretty sure I could take on the little [censored].

kyro
07-01-2005, 01:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not the strongest man in the world but I'm pretty sure I could take on the little [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

So you answered "no" for if the mother was present?

MoreWineII
07-01-2005, 01:58 PM
I'd kill it just for food.

GuyOnTilt
07-01-2005, 01:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't see any no options at all. Your poll designing skills suck balls.

GoT

kyro
07-01-2005, 02:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't see any no options at all. Your poll designing skills suck balls.

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

The class was full. I had to take "Disturbing Poll Questions" instead.

jakethebake
07-01-2005, 02:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Are we to assume that we get lucky enough to get away with no legal consequences?

[/ QUOTE ]

Since this was stated in the op... /images/graemlins/confused.gif

PLOlover
07-01-2005, 02:09 PM
Standard King Arthur, Mordred thing.

Phoenix1010
07-01-2005, 02:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Are we to assume that we get lucky enough to get away with no legal consequences?

[/ QUOTE ]

Since this was stated in the op... /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool people like me don't read the whole post before responding.

Oh yeah, the kid dies, and if the mom has to be there, she does too. I'll use my future reading ability to amass unstoppable wealth and power, I can't let some damn kid stop me halfway through my reign.

trying2learn
07-01-2005, 02:40 PM
maybe i'm a big hippie - but i live the next 20 years knowing that they are the last i have - and enjoy life/plan accordingly.

raping of the wife is different - then i have to kill the little #$@! because it doesn't have to do with me anymore and if i can prevent that then i do.

NutCrackerr
07-01-2005, 02:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure this is the correct answer.

Phoenix1010
07-01-2005, 03:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
maybe i'm a big hippie - but i live the next 20 years knowing that they are the last i have - and enjoy life/plan accordingly.

raping of the wife is different - then i have to kill the little #$@! because it doesn't have to do with me anymore and if i can prevent that then i do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm. Actually it might be pretty cool to let him live. Then you could have that Big Fish scenario where you can do whatever you want with no fear of death because you know that you can't die until that 20th year. That would be pretty sweet. I agree that the wife raping scenario isn't the same, and isn't as fun.

kyro
07-01-2005, 03:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm. Actually it might be pretty cool to let him live. Then you could have that Big Fish scenario where you can do whatever you want with no fear of death because you know that you can't die until that 20th year. That would be pretty sweet. I agree that the wife raping scenario isn't the same, and isn't as fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

I meant this as a completely philosophical/ethical question (I thought about posting it in that forum). So let's pretend if you decide not to kill the kid, you suffer amnesia and don't know you're going to die in 20 years.

PokerBob
07-01-2005, 03:13 PM
twice

Grisgra
07-01-2005, 03:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure this is the correct answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lock the thread, throw away the key. Can't get any better.

brassnuts
07-01-2005, 03:20 PM
Here's the thing. You didn't give any options for "I wouldn't kill it/her." So, the results of the poll are quite meaningless. I'd kill the little bugger, btw.

kyro
07-01-2005, 03:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Here's the thing. You didn't give any options for "I wouldn't kill it/her." So, the results of the poll are quite meaningless. I'd kill the little bugger, btw.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't think the poll was that difficult to interpret. If you would kill it, you check the box. If you wouldn't, you don't check the box. What is so hard?

Eurotrash
07-01-2005, 03:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If it bleeds, we can kill it.

[/ QUOTE ]

jakethebake
07-01-2005, 03:40 PM
...easy, you just don't lead them so much.

brassnuts
07-01-2005, 03:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...easy, you just don't lead them so much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice use of a movie reference.

private joker
07-01-2005, 03:45 PM
I couldn't do it. I'm still robbing this kid of 20 years of his life before he kills me. Also, if I know I have another 20 good years to live before he kills me, then rock on! I'll live it up, and then 19 years from now I'll go on a 12-month spree of booze, drugs, women, gambling, traveling, etc. until I am broke and lying on a bed full of Thai hookers in Bangkok with 8-day beard growth the day he bursts into the room and shoots me. Let him live.

[censored]
07-01-2005, 03:47 PM
Bad poll options. My answer never, even if it meant I would be killed.

jakethebake
07-01-2005, 03:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure your wife would be glad to know you're willing to let her be raped.

brassnuts
07-01-2005, 03:51 PM
Come on guys, it's just a baby. Think of it as a delayed abortion.

[censored]
07-01-2005, 03:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure your wife would be glad to know you're willing to let her be raped.

[/ QUOTE ]

ex wife [censored] the bitch.

jakethebake
07-01-2005, 03:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

pretend it was her back before you knew she was a bitch. or a newer, better wife.

[censored]
07-01-2005, 03:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

pretend it was her back before you knew she was a bitch. or a newer, better wife.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't change anything. No way I could kill my kid. I have a 7 year old, and there is just no way. Regardless of what knowledge I could have. I certainly would try any and everything else. But assuming that right now I am in no immediate danger, then in reality I would be killing an innocent child who at the moment has no ill intent.

jakethebake
07-01-2005, 04:01 PM
Interesting. I have two kids. I couldn't kill them, of course. But someone else's kid that I knew would kill me and rape my wife. I'd crush his head with a brick.

[ QUOTE ]
Wouldn't change anything. No way I could kill my kid. I have a 7 year old, and there is just no way. Regardless of what knowledge I could have. I certainly would try any and everything else. But assuming that right now I am in no immediate danger, then in reality I would be killing an innocent child who at the moment has no ill intent.

[/ QUOTE ]

beerbandit
07-01-2005, 04:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Then put yourself in your shoes 20 years ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think itd be hard to kill a grown woman when im 5 years old

astroglide
07-01-2005, 04:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm still robbing this kid of 20 years of his life before he kills me

[/ QUOTE ]

do you think people who are capable of random murder lead full and meaningful lives?

Blarg
07-01-2005, 04:12 PM
Are you sure this is hypothetical?

[censored]
07-01-2005, 04:14 PM
Ya I misread and thought it was my own child. This changes things. I'm in the strongly consider/probably camp now.

Girchuck
07-01-2005, 05:17 PM
Unless, in 20 years you will come to hate your wife, and pay the guy to rape/murder her