PDA

View Full Version : Poorly played set?

haakee
02-04-2003, 11:09 PM
Moderately loose Northern Cali $6-12 with no solid players. About 5 players see the flop on average. I'm on the BB with pocket deuces. Four callers, and I check in the BB. Flop is:

QT2r

I decide to wait until the turn to raise. So, I check. Unknown MP bets, LP caller, poor-playing button calls, SB folds, I call.

4 to the turn. Turn card is Jc putting two clubs on the board. Not the card I wanted to see. MP bets. LP folds, button raises. I 3-bet. Button says, "Oh, no, look what I got myself into now!" MP folds. Button calls. At this point I figure I am ahead of the button. River is a nightmare card: 9c.
Board is:

QT2J9

with 3 clubs. I bet into the button who just calls.

Results and my own criticisms to follow.

Mikey
02-04-2003, 11:30 PM
for the sake of playing this hand...lets make believe that our position in time is on the flop.

We do not know what the turn/river will bring.

You bet out on this flop. If you are raised you reraise, and try to get the most money in the pot on the flop.

Basically that is the best way to play it. don't try to get too cute with sets. You usually end up outplaying yourself.

mobes
02-04-2003, 11:54 PM
Ive had too many sets busted to slowplay them. I think you should have checkraised the flop and led out on the turn.

haakee
02-05-2003, 06:16 AM
So, the fish called me on the river and turned over K8 offsuit to river my set with a straight (I love his flop call with one overcard and a runner-runner straight draw).

I was not happy with my play on the flop and strongly question my bet on the river. I felt I should have shown aggression on the flop with either a bet or check-raise since the QT may hit a hand or make a draw for somebody.

On the river I won't make him fold a better hand than my set of deuces by betting. He may call some worse hands (JT, QJ). My 3-bet on the turn may have paralyzed him so if I check he may check down all but his best hands and I save a bet.