PDA

View Full Version : McManus quits '05 WSOP

KneeCo
07-01-2005, 01:28 PM
His NY Times Poker Journal (http://www.nytimes.com/ref/sports/wsop-journal.html?8dpc) was supposed to last through the end of the World Series, instead today was the final entry. (I wonder if the Times will replace him?)

For a variety of reasons, described in his final journal entry, he's packing up and leaving Vegas.

I know this isn't groundbreaking news, but I thought it warranted a post given how much so many of us would like to be in playing all the events in Vegas, yet it can easily be an incredibly frustrating and difficult month for many.

Moonsugar
07-01-2005, 03:02 PM
I will never like this guy after seeing how he reacted to Ellix Powers antics.

InkyWretch
07-01-2005, 03:05 PM
As much as we all like poker, I imagine it would be exceedingly difficult to leave our wives and children for a month (or more) for the entire WSOP. I have to give McManus some credit for being honest about his homesickness.

Rduke55
07-01-2005, 03:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What about his lame book?

CripAces
07-01-2005, 03:50 PM
Does this mean he isn't going to play in the main event?

07-01-2005, 03:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ESPN didn't show what led up to the McManus/Powers incident that was aired. Earlier, Powers had been quite rude to T.J. Cloutier. McManus was offended by this because he considers T.J. to be somewhat of a mentor to him. The footage that was aired on ESPN was just a climax to the earlier incident.

Recliner
07-01-2005, 05:14 PM
So McManus likes to play dice too?

NCAces
07-01-2005, 05:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm curious ... what exactly did you find lame about his book? When it comes to literary tastes, I can understand that we all differ. But, I can't understand how the book would be called "lame." It was very well written, covered an amazing run at the WSOP, and gave an inside view to an intriguing murder case ... that McManus was able to talk so openly with Binion family members right before and after the verdict was announced was a scoop he only got because of his showing in the WSOP.

NCAces

lighterjobs
07-01-2005, 05:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm curious ... what exactly did you find lame about his book? When it comes to literary tastes, I can understand that we all differ. But, I can't understand how the book would be called "lame." It was very well written, covered an amazing run at the WSOP, and gave an inside view to an intriguing murder case ... that McManus was able to talk so openly with Binion family members right before and after the verdict was announced was a scoop he only got because of his showing in the WSOP.

NCAces

[/ QUOTE ]

the only thing i didn't like about the book was his cocky tone about everything. and when i saw the limit event last year he seemed just as cocky as his book made him out to be. just my opinion.

TransientR
07-01-2005, 06:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
His NY Times Poker Journal (http://www.nytimes.com/ref/sports/wsop-journal.html?8dpc) was supposed to last through the end of the World Series, instead today was the final entry. (I wonder if the Times will replace him?)

For a variety of reasons, described in his final journal entry, he's packing up and leaving Vegas.

I know this isn't groundbreaking news, but I thought it warranted a post given how much so many of us would like to be in playing all the events in Vegas, yet it can easily be an incredibly frustrating and difficult month for many.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm surprised McManus isn't going to play the main event, especially considering his NY Times gig. Why not fly home, see the wife and kids for a couple of days, and come back for the main event?

Reading his Times' column, in addition to missing his family, he seems to be discouraged by a bad run of cards.

Anyway, it is too bad, he is a good writer, and I was looking forward to his writings about the main event.

Frank

TylerD
07-01-2005, 06:58 PM
the telling of the murder case was D ull. The poker was great.

vulturesrow
07-01-2005, 07:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As much as we all like poker, I imagine it would be exceedingly difficult to leave our wives and children for a month (or more) for the entire WSOP. I have to give McManus some credit for being honest about his homesickness.

[/ QUOTE ]

As someone that spends a substantial amount of time away from home because of his job, I completely sympathize with this sentiment.

jojobinks
07-01-2005, 07:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

NCAces

[/ QUOTE ]

the only thing i didn't like about the book was his cocky tone about everything. and when i saw the limit event last year he seemed just as cocky as his book made him out to be. just my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

he's cocky? that's something that bothered me, like, in middle school.

the book is the best non-instructional poker book ever.

SheridanCat
07-02-2005, 12:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're entitled to your opinion, of course, though what I saw in the book (and the Harper's article it was based on) was a guy feeling very lucky and damned happy to be where he was.

I know Jim personally and have played a lot of poker with the guy. He's a fine person, a little shy and very nice once you get to know him.

Anyway, that's my opinion.

Regards,

T

SheridanCat
07-02-2005, 12:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]

the book is the best non-instructional poker book ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

I gotta put "Big Deal" a little ahead of it, myself, but still a good book.

Regards,

T

jojobinks
07-02-2005, 12:24 AM
i wanted to like big deal. mostly a snorathon, IMO. chicago, eh? home game? PM me...

NCAces
07-02-2005, 02:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

NCAces

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting, because I found the tone of the book to be the opposite of cocky ... in fact, the book is self depricating in its tone. He makes it really clear that he is on a big run of luck and that he is often doing exactly what he isn't suppossed to be doing and lucky to get away with it.

His book is to tournament poker what "A River Runs Through It" is to fly fishing. I keep copies around that I give to people I meet who show an interest in poker.

NCAces

Ringo_Mojo
07-02-2005, 06:17 PM
I enjoyed the book, except for the "literary masturbation" in the middle about The Biggest Game in Town. It seemed too much like somebody trying to justify their expensive education.

Eder
07-02-2005, 06:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

His book is to tournament poker what "A River Runs Through It" is to fly fishing. I keep copies around that I give to people I meet who show an interest in poker.

NCAces

[/ QUOTE ]

Err I liked the fly fishing in this movie...although the trout in Missoula were small, who cant relate to goin ass 1st down the stream with filled up waders after too many beers?

Blackjack
07-02-2005, 07:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the telling of the murder case was D ull. The poker was great.

[/ QUOTE ]

My sentiments exactly.

Blackjack

SheridanCat
07-02-2005, 11:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i wanted to like big deal. mostly a snorathon, IMO. chicago, eh? home game? PM me...

[/ QUOTE ]

Weird, I reread Big Deal occasionally, and like it. Well, different strokes. I PMed you.

Regards,

T

cero_z
07-03-2005, 12:59 AM
Hi, "NCAces,"

Shouldn't you be spending time with your family, Jim?

Timer
07-03-2005, 02:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When the McManus book came out I read it, but I couldn't for the life of me understand what all of the hype was about. It was painful to read.

Now if you want to read a really good book, well written and a great story, then get the Nolan Dalla, Peter Alson Book, One of a Kind--The Rise and Fall of Stuey "The Kid" Ungar--The World's Greatest Poker Player.

Now here is a well written, interesting book, and I hope it does half as well as that McManus piece of crap.

NCAces
07-03-2005, 11:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

NCAces

[/ QUOTE ]

Err I liked the fly fishing in this movie...although the trout in Missoula were small, who cant relate to goin ass 1st down the stream with filled up waders after too many beers?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was referring to the book, not the movie. I read the book a number of years before the movie.

NCAces

Broadsword
07-05-2005, 05:52 AM
Leaving the WSOP is bad for the game....

Rduke55
07-20-2005, 04:30 PM
All the terrible references and metaphors. Plus he seemed really uptight and was trying to show everyone how educated he was.
I thought that material was good but it was terribly written. Too much of him showing how smart he is. A lot of books written by academics have this problem.

Rduke55
07-20-2005, 04:34 PM
Plus the "Good Jim/ Bad Jim" schtick was lame. Here's a guy who agonizes about getting a lap dance. Not saying that some wives would be understanding but hardly what I would think of when I hear someone refer to them selves as "Bad".

Walter Pullis
07-21-2005, 10:50 AM
Frankly, McManus's book had a negative effect on my poker "education". He devoted a page to how tough Wilson poker software was. When I could pretty much beat it, I thought I was headed for a WPT/WSOP payoff. Then I startrd playing online.......

eMarkM
07-21-2005, 11:03 AM
You play in the Glenview game, Sheridan?

I also play with Jim semi-regularly in a 10/20 game in the Chicago area. He's a real nice guy in person and not the least bit cocky in our games. There is hardly a night when we play with him that we don't make reference to and make fun of his behavior in that WSOP tourney (Powers definately put him on tilt) and he takes it all in good stride.

I haven't played with him in awhile, but next time I see him I'll ask about why he left early.

SheridanCat
07-21-2005, 03:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You play in the Glenview game, Sheridan?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, I guess we know each other. I PM'ed you. I stopped playing in that game when I bought my house - bankroll issues.

T

slamdunkpro
07-22-2005, 03:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
When the McManus book came out I read it, but I couldn't for the life of me understand what all of the hype was about. It was painful to read.

[/ QUOTE ]

How right you are - It read like three weak magazine articles that he shuffled and threw togther. The poker and the murder trial articles were OK, but the "my life story" parts were terrible.