PDA

View Full Version : B&M vs. Internet games

nightlyraver
07-01-2005, 12:55 PM
I've come across an interesting issue when it comes to small stakes limit hold'em and wanted to hear some thoughts on the topic...

Basically, I've been playing small stakes limit hold'em for about a year now (I've been playing no limit considerably longer). I started playing on the internet, but once in a while I play in an actual B&M cardroom (1 vegas trip, 1 reno trip, 1 tahoe trip, 1 AC trip). Though it's only been 1 year, I have played many many sessions in that timespan.

My issue is that I find my play MUCH more successfull in the B&M rooms over the internet. I'm not really sure why, but even with tipping the waitress and occasionally the dealer, I still seem to get the best of it almost always in the cardroom. Literally every single cardroom session has shown a profit of 1.5-4 big bets per hour (all at 3/6). On the internet, I have no real stats but I think that I have shown only a small profit (MAYBE .5 big bets per hour) over the long haul; I know that I have had stretches of big losses - as much as $200 swings or more at 2/4.

I have a couple thoughts as to why this is, but I wanted to hear some thoughts before I go on...

Nikademus
07-01-2005, 01:16 PM
First impulse is perhaps you are better at reading players than doing the math that internet play requires. The other thought is that it's just "in your head", since you have no real internet stats to look at. Maybe it's a perception thing.

VoraciousReader
07-01-2005, 01:19 PM
For whatever it's worth, my thoughts on this topic are

here (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=smallholdem&Number=258 6077&Forum=,,All_Forums,,&Words=&Searchpage=1&Limi t=25&Main=2585472&Search=true&where=&Name=33964&da terange=&newerval=&newertype=&olderval=&oldertype= &bodyprev=#Post2586077).

Hybrid_11
07-01-2005, 01:22 PM
Most case being is live card games are notoriously looser and more passive then online. The players live are just not as good as online and that is probably the main reason.

crunchy1
07-01-2005, 01:28 PM
2 Thoughts...

(A) If you're playing the same limits in both your online/B&M games - you're likely playing against worse opponents in the B&M games

(B) You need to consider the fact that you're getting a substantially greater number of hands playing online vs. B&M. You're really comparing long-term results of online play relative to short-term results of B&M play.

mosta
07-01-2005, 01:36 PM
online 3-6 plays closer to live 15-30 than 3-6 (definitely in calif, and I think in most places). typically I walk in a card room and the first hand I see is something like, 20-40, utg raise, 6 cold callers, etc, etc. that's probably closer to online 1-2 or .5-1 than 3-6 even.

nightlyraver
07-01-2005, 02:02 PM
In response, I base most of my play on the math regardless of whether I'm in a cardroom or on the internet. I'm also pretty decent at math on the fly. I don't think that I'm particularly skilled at reading physical tells, so I only base a small minority of decisions on that skill.

Definately not just in my head...