PDA

View Full Version : 1001 Reasons The ABA Was Cooler Than The NBA

Bill Murphy
02-04-2003, 09:42 PM
'Cept for the Magic/Bird/MJ glory years, of course.

1. Artis Gilmore
2. Louie Dampier
3. Marvin Barnes
4. The Bicentennial Ball[duh, not even the WNBA horses can ruin it]
5. 'Chapparals' has bondage connotations, 'Mavericks' has gas station connotations. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

And so on....

HDPM
02-05-2003, 12:11 AM
"5. 'Chapparals' has bondage connotations, 'Mavericks' has gas station connotations."

I'm telling you, put this in the title and you'll get more interest. The ABA was cooler. I wonder where my tri-color Nuggets ball from third grade went?

M2d
02-05-2003, 03:00 AM
Dr. J, taking off from the free throw line with the bicentennial ball palmed far above his huge afro. Nuff Said.

scalf
02-05-2003, 08:41 AM
/forums/images/icons/smile.gif dr.j in va...lol...missile by issle...go you mighty colonels...lol...beach ball basketball...etc...connie hawkins too...lol

John Cole
02-05-2003, 09:45 AM
Bill,

A must read is Terry Pluto's Loose Balls, which details the history of the ABA. It's the best book ever written about basketball, too.

The book really takes off when it gets to Marvin Barnes, one of my favorite players and personalities. Barnes refused to take the team plane one time because, after passing through a time zone, the plane landed earlier than it took off. Marvin explained to the coach that he wasn't getting in no time machine.

John