PDA

View Full Version : AK mid-position

Ace_Ren
07-01-2005, 06:23 AM
Sit n go on Fulltilt Poker (don't think the converter works for this site)

Blinds at 40/80
7 players left.

UTG has 430 chips and pushes
1 fold
I have AKo and 1755 chips. I call.
2 folds (each had me covered, but barely)
SB pushes his 2735 chips all-in.
BB folds.

Back around to me for my last 1325 if I call
Pot would be 2695 before my call (taking out the excess bet from the SB who has me covered)

Here's the reads:
UTG is probably steaming because he just lost a big pot after his all-in bluff got called by bottom pair. He also has a short stack. His range of hands is very loose at this point and it's an easy call (or reraise) against him.

My read on the SB isn't so good yet. He seems relatively tight, but at the same time, he's already made 1 or 2 pushes with his chips (without getting called).

The first question is, should I have gone all-in after the initial all in?
The negatives:
- I still have 4 people left to act and 3 of them have me covered, so it could easily be my last hand.
- I believe that UTG has any Ace, any two big cards, or any pocket pair. Any ace or king (likely) in his hand puts me at a disadvantage against pocket pairs.
- The pot is cheap enough that someone with a worse A may play as well, putting more chips in a pot where I have the advantage and could potentially win more money.

The advantages:
- I'm likely to bust out small-mid pocket pairs which could hurt me.
- I'm not put to a hard decision in case of a reraise all-in.

So I called. Was this a mistake?

The next question is, should I call the reraise all-in?
Disadvantages:
- The SB almost assuredly has the UTG beat at this point, so no need to be in there to knock him out
- I will be able to gather some valuable information on a relatively unknown opponent.
- I'll still be alive and with enough chips to do some damage

Advantages:
- Based on a semi-sketchy range of possible hands, I feel that the pot odds say yes. Small-mid pocket pair seemed very likely as well as AK, AQ, both of which he's trying to bust out my (potential) mid pocket pair.
- Winning this pot would make me the chip leader.

I did call the reraise all-in based on what I felt were the pot odds. Was this the correct play? Or do you feel that the value of guaranteed life + gaining information is worth passing up perceived good pot odds (but still questionable pot odds)?

suited_ace
07-01-2005, 09:40 AM
You called for a 1/4 of your stack. You should only do that with QQ-AA (maybe only KK & AA). It's either push or fold in that spot.

I wouldn't call SB's push.

wiggs73
07-01-2005, 09:50 AM
Easy push pre-flop. Don't call for 1/4 of your stack with a hand that needs improvement. What do you do if you take the flop multi-way and don't hit? You want to get heads up with villain and see all 5 cards.

Given your call, I'd call his all-in as well. I think it's very likely he's trying to move you off your hand since you just called. I think at worst, you're a slight underdog. The way you played the hand though, I'd take the chance at doubling up and then some. You have good odds to make the call, you have 1/4 of your chips in the middle already, and you have a good hand.

theordinaryboy
07-01-2005, 10:14 AM
Wiggs got it spot on!