PDA

View Full Version : I'm a pussy. 20+2, AT UTG at the bubble + q about pushing ranges

Pete H
07-01-2005, 03:03 AM
20+2 Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (4 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

SB (t565)
BB (t1250)
Hero (t1720)
Button (t4465)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Background:

I'd pushed and taken the blinds 3 times in the last 6 hands

Everyone seems to be tightish.

I have 12 BB's so in different situation I might raise 450. This time it's not an option as both blinds have less than 10 BB's so I'd have to push (right?)

Also if I'd raise 450 and big stack pushed, I'd have to fold (or would I?)

So it's push/fold and I pussied out and folded. Probably 'cos I'd been so aggressive lately and thought I didn't have that much FE anymore.

Now folding seems really weak and I hate it.

I'm pretty sure this is a clear push, but what kind of range should I push here if big stack and BB are tight and SB is loose?

bkbluedevil
07-01-2005, 03:06 AM
I'd make a standard raise to 450 and fold to a big stack all in as you suggested. If I'm the big stack this isn't a good idea but it takes balls to come over the top all in, and I don't think you will find this sort of bluff a lot at the 22s.

I don't think you can fold this as letting the SB pick up these blinds would be bad.

ilya
07-01-2005, 03:06 AM
Actually I think folding is alright. You have to go through a huge stack, and there's a shortie. You don't want to get too loco as a call from the big stack would be pretty disasterrific.

Raising to something like 400 is another option I guess, but it leaves you vulnerable to a big stack push or potentially facing a difficult decision if the BB pushes or calls &amp; pushes flop.

I prefer folding.

lastchance
07-01-2005, 03:08 AM
Yeah, but you've got AT! That's no A6 you can fold here for image purposes. That's AT!

ilya
07-01-2005, 03:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, but you've got AT! That's no A6 you can fold here for image purposes. That's AT!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, so? You also have 12xbb. You really want to risk 12xbb with ATo with this chip distribution?

I ain't pushing anything weaker than AQo here.

Remember, Hero has a LAG image.

John Hurst
07-01-2005, 03:12 AM
I agree with bluedevil. A10 is too good to fold even with a shortie in the mix.

lastchance
07-01-2005, 03:20 AM
I'm weak-tight as hell here, but folding AJ is probably insane...

ilya
07-01-2005, 03:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm weak-tight as hell here, but folding AJ is probably insane...

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think so. I think having that big stack on your left is just a huge disadvantage that really limits your options.
Run Eastbay's tool. The big stack doesn't have to be all that super-loose to make pushing AJs a losing/marginal proposition.

Well....
I don't think pushing AJs is right. But I think raising to 300-400 is reasonable. The plan would be to call a push from either of the shorter stacks, and fold to a big stack push. Of course I don't want to make the big stack richer, but it's not nearly as bad as giving chips to either of the other stacks.

Pete H
07-01-2005, 03:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Raising to something like 400 is another option I guess, but it leaves you vulnerable to a big stack push or potentially facing a difficult decision if the BB pushes or calls &amp; pushes flop.

I prefer folding.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, the BB makes it really difficult. I thought that if I raise 450 and he pushes, I'll have to call.
400 I'd probably have to call too and raising less than that just asks to be reraised.

Would you push this without the LAG image?

ilya
07-01-2005, 03:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would not. Pushing just doesn't make sense to me unless my opponents are just silly-tight. Even if they all have calling standards as tight as TT+, AQ+, it's still only a marginally profitable push.

Pete H
07-01-2005, 03:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would not. Pushing just doesn't make sense to me unless my opponents are just silly-tight. Even if they all have calling standards as tight as TT+, AQ+, it's still only a marginally profitable push.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only marginal with those? I'll have to buy eastbay's tool sooner than I thought.

Thanks for the input.

45suited
07-01-2005, 04:08 AM
I like raising to ~400 and folding to a button push.

Folding is WAY better than pushing though. Pushing this is insanity with the big stack on your left when you've got such a great chance of getting ITM.

I like the raise to 400 since this is a 22. IMO, there's not a lot of players at this level that would push with any two as the big stack here.

Pete H
07-01-2005, 05:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you call BB push?

chisness
07-01-2005, 05:35 AM
well put

by the way, how come when i do make the pushes as big stack in that spot i consistently get called by hands like KQ, AJ, etc.? unless i've got a HUGE lead or someone has only 1-2 BB, i don't like this move as much because of how dumb the opponents are!

45suited
07-01-2005, 05:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Do you call BB push?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, that would be a case where I would pass on the pot odds and maintain a healthy stack of 1320. You would still be in fine shape to be ITM. Plus, if BB pushed, I'd really give him credit for a very good hand. He is just as aware of the presence of the short stack and doesn't want to put himself in unnecessary risk of finishing 4th either. So I would fold to a BB push here as well.

Like I said, I don't mind folding here either. But the min-raise / fold to either of the other healthy stack pushes is a viable option here too. I guess it would depend on my read of the other two larger stacks. If either was aggressive, I'd fold here.