PDA

View Full Version : a poll about table selection

Slim Pickens
07-01-2005, 02:35 AM
At what buy-in does it become +$/hr for a 4-tabler (or more) to practice careful table selection? When is it worth the time to avoid known good players and/or get postition on them?

FatalError
07-01-2005, 02:42 AM
table selection IMO not a big deal until 215 where my table selection consists of "is raptor here" then i sit down and take advatage of his turbo cooler

microbet
07-01-2005, 02:44 AM
I voted $55. I think it's barely true if at all at the $55, but I haven't played higher and wanted to see the results.

I haven't bowed out of any tables at the $55s, but I have tried to sit either to the right of some people or far away from some people.

Newt_Buggs
07-01-2005, 02:45 AM
I currently run 6 tables continuously at the $50s and find it very difficult to use table selection once I am in other games. When I am first loading up the tables I will often check everyone that I have notes on and decide if I want to pass. I hate it when I pass up a table because it already has a couple of solid players already seated, then when I open up another table it has the exact same players seater there as well.

I don't think that table selection really starts at any one buy in though. If there are several good players at any table I would pass it regardless of $.

The Yugoslavian
07-01-2005, 02:50 AM
Table selection is never -$/hr unless u overdo it. Hell, in the $11s if I see someone I know is killing them, y not just close the window and open another one? That's like, what, 20 seconds...maybe (and who knows which table will start first)?

I wouldn't spend a significant amount of time avoiding anyone until the 55s....but even in the 33s it's a good idea to just close certain tables and open up a new one.

Yugoslav

bkbluedevil
07-01-2005, 02:50 AM
I really don't think it matters until the 100s. I didn't see the same people a whole lot at the 50s. At the 100s you really start to recognize people esp the other 2+2ers and my table selection usually consists of not sitting to their left.

HesseJam
07-01-2005, 12:38 PM
How in the world would I find the time for table selection at the 22s? I constatntly have to click in the lobby until the table selection menu updates. Then you have about 5 secs to make sure that you do not accidently sign up for Omaha HiLo or Limit, then, after the table comes up you have another 3 seconds to re-verify that you are at the right structure to leave you with another 2 seconds to race to one of the last two seats, of course you choose the wrong one and just as you wanted to click the seat it is already occupied. Of course, you also come late then for the last seat. So you move back to the lobby and, hey, there is a brand new table waiting for ten players! You click up the table and realize that there are again only two seats open. But whats that? Those are the seats of two already busted players and the table is already at level 2.

Table selection, my ass!

45suited
07-01-2005, 12:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Table selection is never -$/hr unless u overdo it. Hell, in the $11s if I see someone I know is killing them, y not just close the window and open another one?

[/ QUOTE ]

So YOU'RE the guy TreeofWisdom was talking about. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Seriously, I can't remember playing anyone on the 11s more than once in over 1500 games. It may have happened but I don't remember the players - just too many of them. And if you do see a player that does well at the 11s, that just means that there is a 98% chance that there are 8 fish at the table.

Slim Pickens
07-01-2005, 12:46 PM
I just moved up to the 33's, so I've been thinking about putting some effort into table selection. Right away, I recognize regulars, but I've also noticed that a lot of them suck, so there's no point in avoiding them.

SlimP

kyro
07-01-2005, 12:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I voted $55. I think it's barely true if at all at the $55, but I haven't played higher and wanted to see the results.

I haven't bowed out of any tables at the $55s, but I have tried to sit either to the right of some people or far away from some people.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've exercised table selection 0 times at the $55s and 1 time against a 2+2er. He knew what I was doing and I think he spite called me. [censored].

The Yugoslavian
07-01-2005, 12:53 PM
Well, I have avoided a couple of players in the 11s before...I see no reason not to frankly as tables are so available. I also think sitting at a table with a 25% ROIer *will* make a pretty significant impact considering that there really aren't too many playing the 11s (many who *think* they are a 25% ROIer but not too many who actually are).

Anyway, I've only done it once or twice I think. A few more times in the 22s and there have been times where I've waited a few minutes for a good 33 (this was during that month before Irie posted how the 33s were home to tons of pros...well, I kept seeing like 3-4 of them at tables I wanted to get on...so I simply wouldn't).

Yugoslav

dmmikkel
07-01-2005, 12:56 PM
I did this once against a player called SONNENBRAND at 109s. I don't think he's a 2+2er, but he's tight on calls so I tried to sit to the right of him, but everytime I sat right of him he left or changes seat /images/graemlins/frown.gif

There's alot of value in sitting to the left of passive players and right of people who are tight on the calls.

Sponger15SB
07-01-2005, 12:58 PM
I do it all the time at the $33s and the $55s. I just try and be one of the last five sitting at the table and then when I see a multitabling tag I sit right next to them and steal their blinds all day every day.

Watch out catchday, catchday1, catchday2, and catchday3!

Seriously does this guy play 24 hours a day on 20 tables?

45suited
07-01-2005, 12:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, I have avoided a couple of players in the 11s before...I see no reason not to frankly as tables are so available. I also think sitting at a table with a 25% ROIer *will* make a pretty significant impact considering that there really aren't too many playing the 11s (many who *think* they are a 25% ROIer but not too many who actually are).

[/ QUOTE ]

Yugo, did you actually recognize the player's name or do you just write down the top guys from pokerprophecy? Or is there a leaderboard for the lower levels somewhere that I'm missing? The reason I ask is that I almost never recognize a name that I've seen before at the 11s and rarely even at the 22s (which I don't play as frequently). Just curious.

chisness
07-01-2005, 01:01 PM
LOLOL who are you?

hope youve enjoyed all the blinds

Slim Pickens
07-01-2005, 01:03 PM
How are you identifying the "pros?" Notes? PT stats?

microbet
07-01-2005, 01:05 PM
I wouldn't do it against a 2+2er that I knew (especially not one that knew me). I would sit as far from them as I could.

Newt_Buggs
07-01-2005, 02:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't do it against a 2+2er that I knew (especially not one that knew me). I would sit as far from them as I could.

[/ QUOTE ]
agreed, I've made some crazy calls and seen some crazy calls against me by 2+2ers. The basic SNG strategy doesn't work as well when the player next to you knows exactly what you're doing.

[ QUOTE ]

How are you identifying the "pros?" Notes? PT stats?

[/ QUOTE ]
notes, but I take a ton of notes when I play. Its not just pros though, its everyone. It sucks to get stuck sitting to the right of a loose passive donk that luckboxed his way into chip leader.

The Yugoslavian
07-01-2005, 02:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yugo, did you actually recognize the player's name or do you just write down the top guys from pokerprophecy? Or is there a leaderboard for the lower levels somewhere that I'm missing? The reason I ask is that I almost never recognize a name that I've seen before at the 11s and rarely even at the 22s (which I don't play as frequently). Just curious.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just know....to a large degree through 2+2.

But look, it's fine to never identify a good $11 player...b/c it won't matter much at all. In the $33s there was one month I heavily played them where I knew of 6-12 very good players who were 4+ tabling and would kill whatever ROI I was trying to scrape together if I sat at their tables....from what I can tell, 90% of these players do not play the $33s anymore (most are at $109s I believe).

That was what Irie was talking about in his post a couple months ago....of course, right when he posted it there was already a mass exodus of the $33 bottleneck that had occured....his post helped others leave too as well.

Although I haven't played any that recently, I'm sure there are a whole slew of $33ers I'd possibly try and avoid if I saw them grouped at a table I was going to sit at.

I certainly avoid certain tables at the $55s...and I'm not nearly as familiar with who the great multitablers are yet (too many of them seem to be marginal frankly).

Yugoslav