PDA

View Full Version : completing half-kill blind from BB

MrClutch
07-01-2005, 01:51 AM
The Omaha/8 games on UB sometimes have a half-kill (I play the 2/4 half kill sometimes), and I was curious as to if it is correct to complete the half-kill when it is your BB.

For example, I had Q 9 7 4 rainbow in my BB with 5 players having called the $3 half-kill blind. Is it worth it to even call this $1? I have been, but it seems like the waste of $1.

Thanks for any replies.

Buzz
07-01-2005, 05:43 PM
Mr. Clutch - I think it's a close decision. Looks to me like you're getting 17 to 1 pot odds plus implied pot odds. It's true that you have a very poor starting hand, but those are great odds! And in addition, you really don't want to appear too tight to your opponents, lest you get no action when you finally are dealt a nice starting hand.

However, if I've done my math correctly, the odds of catching quads, a full house, or a set on the flop are about 34 to 1 against. You might also play some other flops, but you also can get in trouble after many flops. For example, flopping a set of queens with no good kicker might not always turn out well for you. And flopping a set of fours is certainly not what you usually want, at least unless you also at least hold an ace.

In terms of profiting on this one particular hand, I don't think you're going far wrong in folding, even with those great pot odds. However, I think table image is worth at least a buck. You might turn a rock image into a profit when playing Texas hold 'em, but that's tough to do when playing Omaha-8. If you usually fold when it would only cost you a buck more to see the flop, you'll get a tight as a rock image - which is to say you'll have a terrible Omaha-8 table image.

Bottom line: Bite the bullet and kick in the extra buck. You're not getting favorable odds, but protecting your table image is worth it.

Just my opinion.

Buzz

mshalen
07-02-2005, 07:14 AM
Buzz is right. I always make a note when I see an opponent folding in the blinds. It happens so seldom that when it does it jumps right off the screen. And yells- TIGHT