PDA

View Full Version : First 2,000 SnGs and some random thoughts/questions

Newt_Buggs
07-01-2005, 12:19 AM
Well, its finally here and I want to thank this entire forum for helping me grind through my first 2,000 SnGs.

First, for the luckbox stats:
$20s:
664 tourneys
26.5% ROI
39.49% ITM

$30s
441 tourneys
15% ROI
36% ITM

$50s
886 tourneys
21% ROI
37% ITM

I couldn't import some of my $20s into SNG tracker so I'll just post the $50s stuff
Profit at the $50s:
http://img115.imageshack.us/img115/962/profitgraph2dh.th.png (http://img115.imageshack.us/my.php?image=profitgraph2dh.png)

Finish distribution at the $50s:
http://img115.imageshack.us/img115/3843/finishgraph0lo.th.png (http://img115.imageshack.us/my.php?image=finishgraph0lo.png)

I played the $10s before this and although I was making money I didn't keep track of the tournaments. These records started with single tabeling the $20s, and I gradually moved up to 4 tables. After playing the $30s for a while I started out 4 tabeling the $50s and now run 6 tables continuously.

What I've learned:
-variance sucks
-SnG tracker is a great program but a dangerous tool when it causes you to become too focused on stats that you have little control over
-After 2,000 tournaments I still suck at poker, but luckily most other poker players suck even more

My biggest Leak?
-Just doing donk plays when I know better. If I could stop making retarded bluffs and that occasional horrible call my game would improve significantly. I wouldn't be surprised if there's at least one poster on this forum that has seen me make a horrendous play at the tables. Hopefully by the next 2,000 I'll have more discipline to help solve this.

I'm a little concerned about my finish distribution. Is this a sign that I might be a little over aggressive on the bubble?

I'm always looking to exchange HH for evaluations and such, so if any $50+ players are interested feel free to PM me. I've also been toying with the idea of doing some coaching, you could always PM me if you're interested. Anyway, gl to everyone and once again I want to thank all of the posters on this forum.

oh yeah, and if you read this Irieguy: yes, my penis is huge

suited_ace
07-01-2005, 12:57 AM
Nice stats, man. You played those over how much time? 4 or 8-tabling?

zipppy
07-01-2005, 01:02 AM
Very nice stats Newt.

Bigwig
07-01-2005, 01:07 AM
Newt, I play against you a lot. I don't need the numbers to know you're on the right track.

Anyway, your bubble problems may be too aggressive, but also, you may be calling too many hands. Or, you're not calling enough when your the shortest, or one of the shortest stacks.

Anyway, you made a big mistake tonight, IMO. You pushed with 62o from UTG at about a 6 or 7 handed table. You were pot committed the next hand and you chose to be the aggressor. That's fine, but not with 62o. You would've been better off taking your chances in the BB. Far too many players to act behind you there.

Newt_Buggs
07-01-2005, 01:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Nice stats, man. You played those over how much time? 4 or 8-tabling?

[/ QUOTE ]
I played my first $20 on the 25th of Jan, 2005 and started the $50s a month and a half ago. Most of these tournaments were played 4 tabeling, with the last couple hundered 6 tabeling.

Newt_Buggs
07-01-2005, 01:18 AM
thanks Bigwig, yeah I know that I still have a lot of leaks in my game. I've been meaning to make a thread going over playing early position with a short stack that is about to be pot committed. One of the reasons that I've been holding back from the $100s is because I know that I still don't fully understand all of the concepts for SNGS.

Bigwig
07-01-2005, 01:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
thanks Bigwig, yeah I know that I still have a lot of leaks in my game. I've been meaning to make a thread going over playing early position with a short stack that is about to be pot committed. One of the reasons that I've been holding back from the $100s is because I know that I still don't fully understand all of the concepts for SNGS.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't have many leaks. No more than I.

Jason Strasser
07-01-2005, 01:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm a little concerned about my finish distribution. Is this a sign that I might be a little over aggressive on the bubble?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your finish distribution is perfect IMO.

-Jason

microbet
07-01-2005, 01:33 AM
Great stats and congrats.

Bigwig
07-01-2005, 02:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-Jason

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey there, Mr. SI.

I'd like to hear why you say that. I'm genuinely curious.

Jason Strasser
07-01-2005, 02:45 AM
I dunno, it looks like his bubble aggression is perfect. The reason he has so many 1sts is because he also has that many 4ths and 5ths.

-Jason

Bigwig
07-01-2005, 04:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I dunno, it looks like his bubble aggression is perfect. The reason he has so many 1sts is because he also has that many 4ths and 5ths.

-Jason

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that you should have a lot of 5ths and 6ths, but I'm not so sure about 4ths.

Even with the extra 1sts. It just seems a touch too high.

But I could be wrong.

raptor517
07-01-2005, 04:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-Jason

[/ QUOTE ]

you simply can not get a better finish distribution than this. this is damn near ideal. congrats. holla

Hood
07-01-2005, 06:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I couldn't import some of my $20s into SNG tracker

[/ QUOTE ]

Please, send them over! sng at pokercomment dot com. Thanks.

Jonathan
07-01-2005, 09:28 AM
These stats look just great! Congratulations.
And I agree with Jason that the finish distribution looks
just right.

Suerte,
Jonathan

multifast1
07-01-2005, 09:44 AM
Great job Newt! I've got about 500 of the $11-$33's now under my belt and have virtually the same ROI, ITM and finish distribution. I feel much better now seeing this thread.

And by the way, thanks for the rakeback referral. Btw, I consider my two major "leaks" the same as you. If you overcome them, feel free to share any tips!

Blarg
07-01-2005, 10:21 AM
Very grats, man. That's a beautiful thing.

xLukex
07-01-2005, 10:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Very grats, man. That's a beautiful thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

It makes me very jealous. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Blarg
07-01-2005, 10:26 AM
Hell yeah, me too. Fiercely so.

Unoriginalname
07-01-2005, 10:28 AM
Very nice stats and a very nice chunk of change you've made. At about what time in the day do you usually play your tournaments? Just curious.

Scuba Chuck
07-01-2005, 10:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What I've learned:
-variance sucks
-SnG tracker is a great program but a dangerous tool when it causes you to become too focused on stats that you have little control over
- After 2,000 tournaments I still suck at poker, but luckily most other poker players suck even more

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this last comment is a must for all learning players. You have to go through a period of making donk plays. To get it out of your system.

Big Limpin'
07-01-2005, 10:44 AM
I think your biggest problem is that you think you can do better than this (?) You have posted better stats than i have at all 3 levels, and better stats than most anyone i've seen with large-ish ample size. Realize that alot of the high ROI posts you read are only posted because the person has run well and is really proud of them.

I'm quite sure that these starts are in the top quartile of what 2+2ers could acchieve. And top few percentiles of the Party Pool in general.

Also, i agree that your finsish dist'n is perfect. YOu simply cannot get that many 1st without having that many 4th-6ths.

Also, i am not supprised that the 33s were lowest return.
I see no reason for you to play any more 800 chip games, assuming you haven't cashout-crippled your roll.

Great job. I'm looking forward to the 3000-SNG update. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

BL'

Ryendal
07-01-2005, 11:04 AM
I could post here sames graphs with my 450 last games( from the moment I began to keep tracks with sng-tracker. They are not so beautiful and nice... I'm not sure someone will find that interesting.

HesseJam
07-01-2005, 12:06 PM
http://img115.imageshack.us/my.php?image=profitgraph2dh.png

Very nice stats! What was your thinking during the 2nd quarter when you profit stagnated for 500 SnGs? Did you do anything different? Did you find leaks? Or did you just continue to play through the drought?

Newt_Buggs
07-01-2005, 01:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I couldn't import some of my $20s into SNG tracker

[/ QUOTE ]

Please, send them over! sng at pokercomment dot com. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]
thanks for the great program hood, as you can tell many posters including myself have been able to make good use of it. The reason why I couldn't import some of my $20s into SNG tracker is that I didn't have them anymore, not because of any problem with the program.

Newt_Buggs
07-01-2005, 01:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think your biggest problem is that you think you can do better than this (?)

[/ QUOTE ]
I do not think that it is likely that I can produce better results than this. In fact, my main worry is if I can continue producing the same results without further incresing my understanding of the game.

[ QUOTE ]

Very nice stats and a very nice chunk of change you've made. At about what time in the day do you usually play your tournaments? Just curious. [

[/ QUOTE ]
Anywhere from 1pm-6am ET, so pretty much anytime.

[ QUOTE ]

Very nice stats! What was your thinking during the 2nd quarter when you profit stagnated for 500 SnGs? Did you do anything different? Did you find leaks? Or did you just continue to play through the drought?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure exactly when you're talking about, but during the slump in the middle part of the $50s I just grinded. I hit a bad, prolonged downswing at the $30s but eventually made it out so that gave me confidence that I could do the same here. During the first part of the $50s I also had a 40% ROI for those first 250 or so I was more than prepared for a prolonged cold streak. If I had hit the downswing to begin with it would have been much tougher, but in this case I was probably playing more tournaments than when I was winning.

[ QUOTE ]

I'm always looking to exchange HH for evaluations and such, so if any $50+ players are interested feel free to PM me.

[/ QUOTE ]
wow, I didn't expect to get a flood of PMs from this. I now have more than enough HH to review/exchange so for at least the current moment I can't do any more exchanges.

stupidsucker
07-01-2005, 02:00 PM
Your stats are awesome.

As a matter of fact, I think your 21% at the 55s may come down, but I could be wrong. I really dont want to get into one of those sustainable discussions hehe. I can say that the 55s can put out some intense variance in my experience.

You probably have some very good table selection skills. Kudos friend.

Bigwig
07-01-2005, 07:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In fact, my main worry is if I can continue producing the same results without further incresing my understanding of the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to worry about this. I don't anymore. I'm convinced that as long as I continue to play I will improve. But just realize that sometimes you can make substantial regression. You 'think' you've figured something out, only to later discover that you were wrong. I do this constantly.

I remember strongly disagreeing with Phil Van Sexton last month (not the PVS). I've done a 180. As long as you don't let the numbers go to your head, you'll continue to improve.

Newt_Buggs
07-02-2005, 01:47 AM
you make a good point, but I was more implying that these stats might be a result of a turbo charged luckbox and it can't be sustained with my current skill /images/graemlins/wink.gif