PDA

View Full Version : Dell 2005pfw, is it worth it.

whalekock
06-30-2005, 11:47 PM
Okay four tabling sounds great but they don't have a sale on the 2001fp right now. So I ask, has anyone used the 2005fpw monitor by Dell. It is on sale $464 after coupons($510 after taxes). Would you buy, or wait a couple of weeks for the 2001fp coupons?

Hoopster81
07-01-2005, 12:11 AM
I have it. I like it. If overlap really freaks you out then don't get it of course. But I dig the widescreen and am really happy with it.

Orpheus
07-01-2005, 01:37 AM
If you have the desk or shelf space, you might consider a high-res CRT for now.

I picked up a few at [url=http://www.accurateit.com/details.asp?iid=323]AccurateIT for $84 (+42 s/h) for a project I'm working on. Though they are listed as grade B refurns, they were like-new expernally, and worked perfectly. They are capable of up to 2048x1536 (85Hz @ 1600x1200), so (if you really wanted) you could 4-table with no overlap, and still have room left over for other programs.

Though they are advertised as Dell, the cases only say Sony Trinitron, a make that I'd decided was somewhat overrated back in the 80s/90s. Maybe I ws wrong: the picture is so beautiful that if you dual-head, you might be disgusted with your existing monitor. Still, at $126 shipped, you can buy two for less than a 2001FP on sale and *way* under a 2005FPW

LCDs will only get better and cheaper, so multitable now and use your winnings to upgrade, if you still feel the need, and be a hero by giving the Sonys to friends or family.

mosta
07-01-2005, 09:08 AM
can you fit 2 of those on an average size desk? what do they weigh, roughly? under 50 lbs? I'd be tempted to grab 1 (or 2 or 3), if they aren't the size of washing machines.

Mano
07-01-2005, 02:49 PM
I have one, and it is really nice. An even nicer one is the
the Dell 2405FPW (http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=19&sku=320-4221)

Dell Home has the Dell 2405FPW 25" Wide Screen LCD Display for $1199 - 25% off code H0L6M07W40$XVS (Expires 7/7, 5:59am CDT, 500 uses) = $899 with free shipping.

Guthrie
07-01-2005, 04:20 PM
Funny how nobody complained about the size and weight of CRT monitors until LCDs came along and now everybody thinks their desk will collapse.

whalekock
07-01-2005, 10:19 PM
I took the bait. It's on its way, now I can get excited every time a UPS truck passes by. I read up on it and It can be rotated 90 degrees, has a/v video inputs, and a card reader built in. Thanks to all.

Orpheus
07-03-2005, 02:49 AM
Well, I never weighed the monitor by itself, but the receipt says 42lb boxed/shipped, so it's probably under 40lbs. A crude eyeballing with a ruler says it'd fit in a 19" cube ±1" on any given direction -- no, it's not a cube, but since I have mine on a stand, I don't want to post numbers that are more accurate than my actual measurements warrant. People do that all the time (even in scientific literature), and nothing good ever comes of it.

Basically, 3-4 them will easily fit, along with a mousepad and keyboard, on ANY "standard" desk, especially since the included stand allows for overhang with no loss of stability. If you can sit on your desk without worrying about a collapse, these CRTs shouldn't be a weight problem. It's definitely lighter than most 21" CRTs I've had

LCDs are much cooler and more energy efficient, but I find these CRTs much more than adequate for poker. I was in the market for a 2405, but now LCDs have completely fallen off my "Want" list. By 2007, we'll probably have 40" LCDs with a clarity beyond any affordable CRT, for the price of a 2405.

I say that as someone who built/installed HTPC-based 12-ft front projection HDTV/sound system in my living room years ago, when it was an insane geek prokject. So many people dropped their drinks when they walked into the room, and found themselves facing Charles Barkley dripping sweat and charging the camera --at several times actual life-size-- that my friends joked that replacing the carpet would end up costing more than the electronics.

I don't see a 2405FPW offering that level of bang for the buck. Not for me. YMMV