PDA

View Full Version : Another SB hand

Hawkeye27
02-04-2003, 12:47 PM
1/2 loose, passive online game

UTG, MP, and Button limp to me in SB w/KQo. I complete BB checks.

Flop comes K93 rainbow.

I check with intention of check-raising, UTG bets, MP and button call, I look at a non threatening board and decide to check-raise the turn. I call, BB calls.

Turn is another 3. This looks pretty good to me. If its not raised before it gets to me, I'll checkraise and it'll look like I have a 3. I check, BB checks, UTG bets, MP calls, button folds, I checkraise, BB folds, UTG calls, MP calls.

River is a Q giving me two pair. No flush chance, small gutshot straight chance. I like my hand and bet out, UTG calls, MP calls.

MP shows A3 and wins pot.

I assume MP would have called a checkraise on the flop, but I guess I didn't give him that chance, did I? Should I checkraise this every time on the flop?

Bob T.
02-04-2003, 12:55 PM
He might have called a checkraise, but if you bet out, and get raised, he would have made a big mistake calling with his presumed 5 outer.

You should just be very happy to be in a game with MP. He played preflop with A3, he called a bet in a tiny pot with bottom pair, and he never raised after he got trips. You probably made theorhetical money from him on every street. It doesn't spend as well as the real stuff in the short term, but in the long run it does.

Good luck,
play well,

Bob T.

Hawkeye27
02-04-2003, 01:15 PM
I know after the hand I sat there and thought to myself"OMG he completely misplayed every single round." I dont really mind losing to these guys, just consider it a short term loan. Anyway, I dont feel bad I just had AA dealt to me on back to back hands and they both held up. Has this ever happened?? Weird, wild, stuff.

Dynasty
02-04-2003, 02:14 PM
Just bet your hand on the flop. Check-raising here should be the exception rather than the norm.

Hawkeye27
02-04-2003, 02:50 PM
Dynasty, I wonder if you could be more specific. Should I bet this hand since there isn't as much to be afraid of (straight/flush draws, over cards) and a checkraise isn't warranted? My rule of thumb has always been: Bet high pair in EP with 3 or less opponents. Try for checkraise with 4 or more. Am I checkraising too much?

Thanks for response, I do value your opinion.

Dynasty
02-04-2003, 03:08 PM
It sounds like you might be trying for check-raises too often.

One reason not to try to check-raise so often is that it often won't work. If you've got top pair/big kicker on an uncoordinated board, it's less likely somebody else has a betting hand. However, they might have what they think are calling hands. You can miss quite a few bet via missed check-raises.

Another reason is that if you bet, somebody else may raise for you (with KJ or A9, for example). It isn't always necessary for you to be the player putting in the second bet to knock players out.

In this specific hand, there are only 5 small bets in the pot when the action is checked to you on the flop. Are you check-raising to knock players out? Or as a slowplay? Or as a pot-building play?

If any of those three are your goal, I think you're making a mistake. With the pot so small, you should be happy with players calling a flop bet with middle or bottom pair. Slowplaying has no real value with only a medium-strength hand on a board with gut-shot possibilities. And, I think you'll build a bigger pot in the longrun simply by always betting out here.

What were you trying to accomplish by check-raising?

Hawkeye27
02-04-2003, 03:54 PM
In an "average" loose, passive game I've always viewed a checkraise as my main weapon in early position.

In the hand described above I dont mind a gutshot, a middle pair, a lone ace, or a bottom pair calling my high pair/big kicker. I just dont want them ALL to call me, and if they do I want to make sure they pay heavily. I want to manipulate the pot to where they make a big mistake rather than a close decision. Usually I'll get one or two to fold AND make the chasers pay to catch up. In my experience I dont miss the chance (checked through) enough to warrant not trying it.

I also think I gain information cheaply. If I get three bet I'm probably behind. If its raised before it gets to me I can release my hand at no expense. Also, by showing strength on the flop, if I get raised on the turn I know I'm behind.

I know you're not saying "never checkraise" but these reasons are why I've done it 90% in this situation in the past.