PDA

View Full Version : How to Play World Class Pot Limit Omaha

LotsOfOuts69
06-30-2005, 09:25 PM
Step 1: Wait around for Pocket Aces, then raise as much as possible to protect them, thereby letting everyone else know you have pocket aces. If at all possible, just tell everyone verbally that you have them.

Step 2: When someone raises the maximum preflop, realize that it means they have Aces, and you should play any reasonable hand in an attempt to crack the aces, because the player with Aces will move the rest of his chips in on the flop no matter what.

Step 3: In the case where no-one to act before you has raised, you should then check your hand for pocket aces, if you have them, raise the maximum, if not, limp with any pair or suited or connecting cards, then wait for the players after you to raise with pocket aces or not. If someone should raise, you should call attempting to crack their aces.

Step 4: After seeing the flop, you should then call the bet by the guy with aces with any flush/straight draw, or hopefully a set. If it was you who raised with the aces, just make the maximum bet on the flop, regardless of what 3 cards come out.

Step 5: In the case where there is a hand with no pocket aces, limp with any pair and bet the max if you hit a set. If someone else bets the maximum on the flop, assume he has a set, and reraise him all in with any flush or straight draw.

$5000 Pot limit Omaha Final Table.

Date / Time: 2005-06-28 16:14:00
Title: Richard St. Peter Eliminated in 10th Place
Log: Hand 26 - St. Peter has the button in seat 9, Ivey limps for $6,000, St. Peter raises to $27,000, and Ivey calls. The flop comes Jc-6c-5s, Ivey bets $50,000, St. Peter moves all in for $83,000, and Ivey calls. Ivey has Qc-Jh-9h-8h (pair of jacks), while St. Peter has As-Ac-7s-3h (pair of aces, gut-shot straight draw). The turn card is the Qs, giving Ivey two pair, but giving St. Peter a flush draw, in addition to his other outs. The river card is the 9c, and Richard St. Peter is eliminated in tenth place.

Date / Time: 2005-06-28 16:39:00
Title: E.C. Cohen Eliminated in 9th Place ($52,555)
Log:
Hand 35 - Scharf has the button in seat 8, Mehrmand raises to $21,000, and Cohen calls. The flop comes Qh-Jd-2s, Cohen moves all in, and Mehrmand calls. Cohen shows Jh-9c-6c-2h (two pair), and Mehrmand has As-Ad-Qs-3s (pair of aces). The turn card is the 10d, and Mehrmand still has plenty of outs to win this pot. The river card is the Ac, giving Mehrmand a set of aces to eliminate E.C. Cohen in ninth place, earning $52,555.

Date / Time: 2005-06-28 17:31:00
Title: Phil Hellmuth Eliminated in 8th Place ($70,075)
Hand 49 - Sunar has the button in seat 5, Williamson raises to $28,000, and Hellmuth calls. The flop comes Kh-Qh-7c, Hellmuth bets, Williamson raises, Hellmuth calls all in. Hellmuth shows Ah-Kd-Qd-Qs (set of queens), but Williamson has Kc-Ks-5d-5s (set of kings). The turn card is the 6d, and Hellmuth has to catch the final queen in the deck to stay alive. The river card is the Jc, and Phil Hellmuth is eliminated in eighth place, earning $70,075.

Date / Time: 2005-06-28 17:40:00
Title: Davood Mehrmand Doubles Up Through Phil Ivey
Log: Hand 50 - Ivey has the button in seat 6, Mehrmand raises to $24,000, Ivey calls. The flop comes 9s-8s-3c, Mehrmand checks, Ivey bets $45,000, Mehrmand moves all in, and Ivey calls. Mehrmand has Ac-Ah-9c-7h (pair of aces), while Ivey has As-10c-9d-6s (pair of nines, flush draw, gut-shot straight draw). The turn card is the 5c, and Mehrmand picks up a flush draw. The river card is the 7c, and Mehrmand wins the pot with a club flush. Davood Mehrmand doubles up in chips.

Date / Time: 2005-06-28 17:46:00
Title: Eduard Scharf Eliminated in 7th Place ($87,595); Sigi Stockinger Eliminated in 6th Place ($105,115)
Log: Hand 51 - There is a dead button in seat 7, Williamson limps for $8,000, Cunningham limps, Ivey limps, Scharf limps, and Stockinger checks. The flop comes Qs-8s-2d, Williamson bets $30,000, Cunningham folds, Ivey calls, Scharf reraises all in, Stockinger reraises over-the-top all in for $189,000, Williamson folds, and Ivey calls the additional $159,000. Ivey has As-10s-7h-4d (flush draw), Stockinger has Qd-Qh-6d-3h (set of queens), and Scharf has 8h-7d-2s-2d (set of twos). (Williamson says he folded a set of eights.) The turn card is the 7s, and Phil Ivey has made his flush. The board needs to pair for Ivey to lose. The river card is the Jc, and Ivey eliminates two players on the same hand.

Date / Time: 2005-06-28 18:26:00
Title: Allen Cunningham Eliminated in 4th Place ($140,150)
Log: Hand 70 - Williamson has the button in seat 2, Ivey limps, Cunningham raises to $24,000, and Ivey calls. The flop comes Qd-10d-4d, Cunningham bets, Ivey raises, and Cunningham calls all in. Ivey shows Ac-Kd-Qc-6d (king-high flush), while Cunningham has As-Qh-Qs-5h (set of queens). The turn card is the 7h, and Cunningham needs the board to pair to stay alive. The river card is the Ks, and Allen Cunningham is eliminated in fourth place, earning $140,150.

Date / Time: 2005-06-28 19:32:00
Title: Davood Mehrmand Doubles Through Phil Ivey to Take the Chip Lead
Log: Hand 103 - Ivey has the button in seat 6, he raises to $30,000, Mehrmand reraisees to $95,000, and Ivey calls. The flop comes 10s-6d-3h, Mehrmand bets the pot ($195,000), Ivey moves all in, and Mehrmand calls.

Ivey shows 10c-6s-5h-4s (top two pair, open-ended straight draw), while Mehrmand has Ah-Ad-10d-2d (pair of aces). The turn card is the Ac, and Mehrmand makes a set of aces, and Ivey needs to catch a two or a seven to eliminate Mehrmand. The river card is the 5c, and Mehrmand doubles up in chips.

beset7
07-03-2005, 12:01 AM
lmao.

A_C_Slater
07-03-2005, 12:21 AM
Yup.

Can't go wrong with them aces.

Good ol aces.

BeatOnRiver
07-03-2005, 12:35 AM
thanks, most people undervalue aces in omaha but i agree with almost everything you said. aces is the best hand in holdem and you can only use 2 cards from you hand in omaha anyway so why not have the best holdem starting hand? thanks for reiterating my thoughts. good luck.

ZBTHorton
07-03-2005, 12:46 AM
Genius! WSOP here I come!

PorscheNGuns
07-03-2005, 11:52 AM
This is put together like its some sort of joke, but with some tweaking its really not too far off. In regards to cash games, I find "Step 2" to be the somewhat close to accurate, and very profitable if done right.

-Matt

betgo
07-03-2005, 12:46 PM
A lot of the big hands will be AA hands. People are afraid to reraise without AA or something like a doulbe suited high rundown that plays OK against AA allin preflop. Otherwise someone may put in a third raise with AA. A lot of times people will call, hoping to take down AA. Often it is easier for a player with a rundown hand than an overpair to tell if he is ahead.

Also, the hand where someone reraises with AA or whatever and takes down the pot don't make the tournament summaries or ESPN.

lighterjobs
07-03-2005, 01:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
thanks, most people undervalue aces in omaha but i agree with almost everything you said. aces is the best hand in holdem and you can only use 2 cards from you hand in omaha anyway so why not have the best holdem starting hand? thanks for reiterating my thoughts. good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't know anything about plo tournaments, but in cash games i rarely see huge raises with AA. whenever i play a cash game the only time i raise is in very late position with a huge hand (big pair double suited, wrap hand double suited) to build the pot a little. but i'm sure the tournaments are played a lot differently.

betgo
07-03-2005, 01:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i don't know anything about plo tournaments, but in cash games i rarely see huge raises with AA. whenever i play a cash game the only time i raise is in very late position with a huge hand (big pair double suited, wrap hand double suited) to build the pot a little. but i'm sure the tournaments are played a lot differently.

[/ QUOTE ]

In tournaments, you may be able to get in most of the money preflop with AA, which is definately advantageous. Also, in the WSOP, you are playing good players who may actually fold to a raise or reraise.

NYCNative
07-03-2005, 01:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i don't know anything about plo tournaments, but in cash games i rarely see huge raises with AA.

[/ QUOTE ]I messsed around with Omaha and in the small stakes people with A-A-Rag-Rag always raised, raised, reraised and raised some more and they always seemed to lose to people with more balanced hands.

I know only a little more than [censored] about Omaha but I always preferred a balanced hand with four cards that worked together than a big pair that, if it hit a set, was okay but still quite vulnerable to straights and flushes.