PDA

View Full Version : Advice for Best Buy customers - caveat emptor

ClaytonN
06-30-2005, 08:57 PM
And this is coming from someone who had worked 3+ months there, so take that for what it's worth

1) On items that are less expensive than TV's and Computers but more expensive than a CD (such as CD players, X-Boxes, stereo systems, etc), Best Buy offers what they like to call a "Product Replacement Plan". In essence it's an extended warrantee that will turn the 30 day warrantee into 2 years. It varies on the level of price.

For most everything you will NOT need a product replacement plan EXCEPT video game systems and cordless phones. Everything else, you're best off declining. The reason you want to get a PRP for video game systems is you can cite "wear and tear" 1.5 to 2 years from now and use that money to go towards a new game system (like PS3 or XBOX 360). And you want to get a PRP on cordless phones because the batteries (usually nickel ion) only last aruond 8 months. Instead of getting a new battery (which is very expensive in relation to the cost of the phone), you should just go ahead and get a new phone system for free with the PRP.

Everything else, just politely decline. Cashiers are good sellers of PRP's, they're trained to do so, and will probably make 2-3 attempts at getting you to do it. Just cut the whole process by saying "PRP?", because PRP is the term usually only shared by Best Buy employees. They will then know you know what you're talking about right there.

2) If you get the magazine subscriptions, you are retarded.

BusterStacks
06-30-2005, 08:58 PM
Also the items you mentioned are among the only things they will replace in store. Everything else you have to send out. They do NOT like to mention this when selling it to you...

balkii
06-30-2005, 09:15 PM
Everything else, just politely decline.

If by politely decline you mean say, "No I dont want to sign up for that [censored] scam" then I agree

Ulysses
06-30-2005, 09:53 PM
You really think that 2+2ers are stupid enough that they need instructions on how to tell Best Buy cashiers they don't want to buy an extended warranty?

Just cut the whole process by saying "PRP?"

That would be retarded. NO, CASHIER, YOU ARE NOT TRICKING ME. DON'T TRY YOUR THIRD ATTEMPT. I AM IN THE KNOW! PRP!!! PRP!!!! PRP!!!!!

gumpzilla
06-30-2005, 10:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

NO, CASHIER, YOU ARE NOT TRICKING ME. DON'T TRY YOUR THIRD ATTEMPT. I AM IN THE KNOW! PRP!!! PRP!!!! PRP!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Bullshit. Show me the hand signal.

ClaytonN
06-30-2005, 10:05 PM
You'll just have to take my word for it. We're specifically instructed to try at least 2 or 3 times after the customer declines.

Unless, of course, you're a fan of continually being asked to buy the extended warrantee after saying no.

tbach24
06-30-2005, 10:07 PM
Thanks, I had no idea about this stuff.

krazyace5
07-01-2005, 01:07 AM
Do you get commissions or bonuses for this?

Blarg
07-01-2005, 01:28 AM
Yeah, good to know about the phones. I've always thought it was a merciless rip-off how everyone's got to design a new battery for everything that costs a fortune to replace, instead of just letting you use off the shelf batteries.

ClaytonN
07-01-2005, 02:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you get commissions or bonuses for this?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, Best Buy is non-commission. One of the main reasons they surpassed Circuit City some time ago. Or at least, so the Best Buy people tell me.

In spite of this, should you not be a strong seller in PRP's and magazine subscriptions, things will not bode well for you.

Ulysses
07-01-2005, 02:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You'll just have to take my word for it. We're specifically instructed to try at least 2 or 3 times after the customer declines.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I don't doubt anything in your message. It's just that if you say no like an adult, you rarely get asked again.

It really comes down to whether you're smarter and more mature than the average Best Buy cashier, I guess.

ClaytonN
07-01-2005, 02:11 AM
That's part of it. A customer can convey through body language the message "Ask me again for a PRP and I will bust you up".

You almost feel bad that you can take advantage of the stupid customers so easily. I have literally sold a $6 PRP on a $9 CD player. And the magazine subcriptions, oh man. It's a total con.

ILL34GL3
07-01-2005, 02:24 AM
I suggest buying the PRP on portable CD palyers, shelf systems and the like. Just make sure you drop it hard enough to bust up something inside before the warranty period is up, then send it back to get credit for another stereo. I've done it with two stereos so far.

ClaytonN
07-01-2005, 02:25 AM
Malice does not count /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

ILL34GL3
07-01-2005, 02:30 AM
It does if it's undetectable. That industry is so profitable anyway, I doubt they thoroughly check the faulty goods that are being sent in.

ClaytonN
07-01-2005, 02:32 AM
true, though doing malice and hiding it as something else does take a certain level of effort. I never worked in returns, so I wouldn't know.

ILL34GL3
07-01-2005, 03:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
true, though doing malice and hiding it as something else does take a certain level of effort. I never worked in returns, so I wouldn't know.

[/ QUOTE ]
What effort? The first time I learned of this trick was when I accidentally dropped my Sony Sports portable radio about 3 feet and it stopped working. I sent it in with a copy of the PRP and they sent me back a credit voucher.

I used that for a shelf system, and when the 4 years was almost up, I banged it on the ground a few times and lo and behold, it stopped working. What a coinky dink.

They probably couldn't tell if it was shipping damage anyway.

Moral of the story: Screw Best Buy.

NutCrackerr
07-01-2005, 09:22 AM
So what did you do to get fired from Best Buy?

Bluffoon
07-01-2005, 09:38 AM
Anybody who pays extra for an extended warranty for anything is retarded (sorry). They are selling them because they are making money right? So someone is losing right? This should be intuitive to most poker players.

Voltron87
07-01-2005, 09:54 AM
youre right, but

all insurance works this way. do you have car, home, etc insurance? well technically youre losing money, which is intuitive, but youre protecting yourself from a catastrophic loss.

stipper30
07-01-2005, 10:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I don't doubt anything in your message. It's just that if you say no like an adult, you rarely get asked again.

It really comes down to whether you're smarter and more mature than the average Best Buy cashier, I guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you must get asked 2 or 3 times then...maybe more

Freakin
07-01-2005, 10:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So you must get asked 2 or 3 times then...maybe more

[/ QUOTE ]

OH NO YOU DIDN'T!
http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/47/jessicajaco4xm.jpg

Bluffoon
07-01-2005, 10:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
youre right, but

all insurance works this way. do you have car, home, etc insurance? well technically youre losing money, which is intuitive, but youre protecting yourself from a catastrophic loss.

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG youre kidding? I don't even have collision on my car. Insurance is basuically a ripoff and I avoid it at all costs. The only thing I insure is my home because I can't afford to replace that.

MoreWineII
07-01-2005, 10:30 AM
OH SNAP!

astroglide
07-01-2005, 11:50 AM
you can get massively sued as a result of a car accident. more likely than your house burning down, and probably as expensive.

Bluffoon
07-01-2005, 12:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you can get massively sued as a result of a car accident. more likely than your house burning down, and probably as expensive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well of course I have liability coverage. I just don't pay extra for collision.

astroglide
07-01-2005, 12:10 PM
i assumed from your strongly-worded statement on the issue that you might be carrying some minimum or very low amount. hit a bmw 7 series with 3 people in it, and it's lights out financially. i can understand getting cancer and having to declare bankruptcy over medical bills or whatever, but sinking the ship over a car accident would be pretty gay.

David04
07-01-2005, 12:15 PM
Just yesterday I bought an iPod at best Buy, and got the PRP(3 years for around $50)

Stupid?

Patrick del Poker Grande
07-01-2005, 12:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just yesterday I bought an iPod at best Buy, and got the PRP(3 years for around $50)

Stupid?

[/ QUOTE ]
You played this terribly on both streets.

david050173
07-01-2005, 12:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Stupid?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am betting the PRP is a good buy here if it covers the battery.

Bluffoon
07-01-2005, 12:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i assumed from your strongly-worded statement on the issue that you might be carrying some minimum or very low amount. hit a bmw 7 series with 3 people in it, and it's lights out financially. i can understand getting cancer and having to declare bankruptcy over medical bills or whatever, but sinking the ship over a car accident would be pretty gay.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't recall exactly how much coverage I have its not the minimum but it's not ridiculously high either. I figure if I screw up that bad no amount of insurance is going to cover the financial mess.

David04
07-01-2005, 12:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Stupid?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Please explain. Was I wrong in buying an iPod, or buying it from Best Buy? FWIW, it was a 30G photo, and it cost $330.

astroglide
07-01-2005, 12:28 PM
it does. a friend of mine bought a mini, the battery died, and he ended up getting something along the lines of an iriver to use napstertogo

David04
07-01-2005, 12:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
it does. a friend of mine bought a mini, the battery died, and he ended up getting something along the lines of an iriver to use napstertogo

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah the lady told me that it covered everything besides physical abuse, for 3 years. I thought it was a pretty good deal because there is pretty many things that could go wrong, and I don't want to deal with sending to Apple and whatnot.

Patrick del Poker Grande
07-01-2005, 12:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Stupid?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Please explain. Was I wrong in buying an iPod, or buying it from Best Buy? FWIW, it was a 30G photo, and it cost $330.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, since we haven't had one of these threads in at least a week and this thread is already in the shitter, I'm going to say you lost as soon as you bought an iPod.

David04
07-01-2005, 12:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Stupid?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, since we haven't had one of these threads in at least a week, I'm going to say you lost as soon as you bought an iPod.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's okay, I prefer my iPod. You can use your Dell DJ or your iRiver or whatever you like. But I still think that the iPod was the best purchase for me.

Patrick del Poker Grande
07-01-2005, 12:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Stupid?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, since we haven't had one of these threads in at least a week, I'm going to say you lost as soon as you bought an iPod.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's okay, I prefer my iPod. You can use your Dell DJ or your iRiver or whatever you like. But I still think that the iPod was the best purchase for me.

[/ QUOTE ]
I feel obliged:
http://www.bumblesmp3players.co.uk/images/MP3%20Players/iaudio_x5.jpg
You can even get it from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0009Q4UBK/qid=1120235860/sr=8-4/ref=pd_bbs_ur_4/104-0341388-2727150?v=glance&s=pc&n=507846) now.

David04
07-01-2005, 12:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Stupid?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I feel obliged:

[/ QUOTE ]
That is pretty nice, I have never seen that before.

How do you like it?

Patrick del Poker Grande
07-01-2005, 12:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Stupid?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I feel obliged:

[/ QUOTE ]
That is pretty nice, I have never seen that before.

How do you like it?

[/ QUOTE ]
I bought my M3 (http://eng.iaudio.com/product/product_M3.php) before the X5 came out, but it's basically the same thing without the color screen. It's awesome. Much better than an iPod.
http://ployer.com/archives/iAudio-M3-20GB-digital-audi.jpg

David04
07-01-2005, 12:43 PM
The color screen-looking at videos and pictures in color- is half of the appeal to me. Can you still view pictures, in black and white?

Freakin
07-01-2005, 02:44 PM
Pat,

I've been debating getting an M3 since you first posted it, but with teh X5 so cheap it seems like the way to go.

Did you get one, and if so, how it is watching something on there for a long period of time?

Freakin

swolfe
07-01-2005, 03:02 PM
the cashier once asked me if i wanted the $6 PRP on a $3 mouse. i declined.

Gallopin Gael
07-01-2005, 03:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Stupid?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Costco has a better return policy and it doesn't cost any extra.

razor
07-01-2005, 03:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You can even get it from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0009Q4UBK/qid=1120235860/sr=8-4/ref=pd_bbs_ur_4/104-0341388-2727150?v=glance&s=pc&n=507846) now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice. I gotta get one of these. Sure wish they came with bigger harddrives though.

ClaytonN
07-01-2005, 04:05 PM
In regards to the Ipod, that's a PSP, not a PRP. PRP covers items below $200. I couldn't comment on how good a deal you got, because my specialty was selling the extended warrantees below $200.

david050173
07-01-2005, 07:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are those buttons on the front as small as they look? IPods have some faults but I like the big click wheel. Most of the other MP3 players seem to use more ackward controls. Personally though I think the deciding factor is going to be which one talks to my new cars stereo best. Have a feeling that will be the ipod by default.

Nice. I gotta get one of these. Sure wish they came with bigger harddrives though.

[/ QUOTE ]

jason_t
07-01-2005, 08:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks, I had no idea about this stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is really well-known high-school level economics. The companies that offer these plans wouldn't do it if it wasn't +EV for them. +EV for them means -EV for you.

sublime
07-01-2005, 08:25 PM
if best buy ever gets wind of this you will probably be assassinated in your sleep. i am glad you posted this though as i always feel pressured into buying this thing and know so little about electronics that figure myabe im a sucker for not buying the PRP.

i think i might go buy something this w/e so i can say PRP.

goofball
07-02-2005, 11:58 PM
i tend to respond with something along the lines of

"gee, you really think i need this extra insurance? maybe i'd better not get it at all"