PDA

View Full Version : Is American Major Media Telling Us The Truth?

Mark Heide
02-04-2003, 05:44 AM
It appears that NBC, owned by GE the defense contractor, is doing it again. Showing old clips of radical Iraqi's burning American flags and Bush puppets, along with telling us how the Iraqi's feel about their government, but not interviewing anyone, and, lastly, pushing their views on us again.

Anyway, here's a link to an article about a documentary film called Hearts & Minds. This film is about the American administration propaganda and how it influenced the media and what happened in Vietnam. Do we ever learn from the past, or have Americans become brainwashed by the media and believe everything they are told? Anyway, here's the link:

http://www.commondreams.org/views03/0120-04.htm

All comments welcome

Mark

IrishHand
02-04-2003, 08:59 AM
Propaganda has been a big part of pretty well any successful government since newspapers became commonplace. We just don't call it 'propaganda' anymore...it's just 'the news'.

To a certain extent, what a person reports will always be colored by their opinions and perspectives - but that's simply the nature of journalism. However, when the facts being provided by the government (anything from local law enforcement all the way to the White House) tend to have less to do with reality and more to do with a desired effect - that's when the media becomes more of a tool for them than an informative method for you.

Irish

Jimbo
02-04-2003, 12:12 PM
I do not see anything wrong with the governments policy to restrict access to information during times of war. If the choice is between preserving national security or hurting the feelings of some journalists and liberal Americans I vote for the former.

brad
02-04-2003, 12:40 PM
remember during iraq war buildup 91 story of iraqi soldiers throwing babies out of incubators in kuwait?

totally fabricated and 'nurse' testifying at congressional hearing was daughter of kuwaiti ambassador.

Jimbo
02-04-2003, 03:53 PM
Brad you are correct. When the truth came out the Iraqi soldiers had merely been impersonating Michael Jackson and had no intent to harm the children at all. Who is a harmless game of catch going to hurt? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

brad
02-04-2003, 04:13 PM
no im being serious and citing a serious case of total fabrication propaganda.

Phat Mack
02-04-2003, 05:28 PM
I live in constant fear of an Iraqi invation. I think I saw foreign troops down at the 7-11. If the government has to lie to me in order to keep me safe, then I'm all for it. BTW, maybe George isn't "lying." Maybe he's just "bluffing."

Jimbo
02-04-2003, 07:00 PM
Brad,

Believe me I understood that you were serious. That is why I thought bringing some levity to your post might help. Who did this serious case of totally fabricated propaganda harm? We were going to war whether you liked it or not. The same will be true this time. If our President thinks we should blow the living hell out of Iraq then we will do it. BTW, whatever his decision I will stand behind 100%. Methinks he has better information than I upon which to base his decisions.

IrishHand
02-04-2003, 07:50 PM
I agree 100%. I don't think a government has any obligation to allow newsmen anywhere near military activity. Journalists should hang out in a cafe in Rome and when the military feels like sharing news of some great victory or setback with them, the military can call, then they're welcome to forward the news back home.

That whole "CNN on the beaches filiming the S.E.A.L.'s as they swim up in Kuwait" thing was ridiculous. There's no reason to let idiot, flapper-mouthed reporters anywhere you wouldn't want to give a tour to your opponent's high command.